Good air cooler that work with the ASRock Z77E-ITX?

I believe that the AXP-140 is even larger than the Noctua and would also cover the PCI slot. A H60 or H20 620 could be the way to go otherwise I would say the Shuriken Rev. B is a good option.

Edit: I stand corrected. In looking if you orient the AXP-140 the right way it will leave the PCI slot availabe. I'm guessing you could probably do the same with the Noctua by turning the heat pipes toward the PCI slot.

Last edited:
The AXP-140 does not cover the PCIe slot on the ASRock Z77E-ITX, as was covered earlier in this thread. I was running this mobo w/ the AXP-140 and a 6990 with no issues (until I went to a different video card).

The Coolermaster Geminii S524 does work and clears the pci-e slot by a very wide margin which is nice. However the mounting bracket doesn't work so great and you need to use some nylon or rubber spacers instead of the all metal backplate. I'll take some pics this weekend.

Do you think you could upload some pictures of your Geminii on the miniitx build? as well as the bottom spacers you mentioned. I do not have money for a closed loop cooler so i am going for a cheap air alternative and I already have the s524 from a previous build.

AXP-140/Z77E-ITX owners - are you running it passive or with a fan? Fan above or below the heatsink? I can see a Scythe 12mm thick fan would fit above in an SG05 case but not sure about below.

Sucking air off heatsink or blowing onto?

I use a pwm 12mm scythe on top of my axp140 suck air vertically up (through the heatsink). Temps are 28-32 idle, at 500rpm; 38 max, at 2000rpm. Going to stack a kuhler radiator and another pwm slim on this for the gpu shortly.

A fan will not fit below due to dual direction heat pipes

Not sure which thread to post this in, so I'm posting it in this thread + the ASRock Z77E-ITX thread.

So I built a system with the FT03-Mini and ASRock Z77E-ITX.

I have not had good luck with the Corsair H60 or Antec 620. Tried two of each and every one of them made buzzing, gurgling noises.

So I tried an Arctic Cooling Freezer 11 LP, BUT it blocked one RAM slot AND the PCIe 16x slot no matter which way it was oriented. I'm using Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM and an EVGA GTX670 4GB Superclocked.

SO, anyone have any recommendations on a heatsink that:
- fits the Z77E-ITX w/o blocking RAM slots and the PCIe 16x slot
- fits in the space available after a ST45SF-G is installed
- is not very loud or has replaceable fans

I bought a Prolimatech Samuel 17 and it works rather well on my HTPC/Server. It doesn't block the PCIe slot nor my G.SKILL Sniper RAM slots. It's only 45mm tall (it comes w/o a 120mm fan, you need to buy one separately).

Dunno if it will meet your requirements though.

You're using the Samuel 17 with the ASRock Z77-ITX and it's not blocking anything?

I can't find the Samuel 17 in the USA. Is it an old model? Anything else that will fit on the Z77E-ITX without blocking anything? I looked at the AXP-140, but it looks like it would overhang everything.

Zalman CNPS8000B will fit this board perfectly, allow regular ram but probably not crazy high heatspreaders but definitely doesn't have to be low profile. Best of all the cooler allows full PCI-E slot access and has enough room to spare for even the newer cards with the fancy backplates with about 2-3mm to spare.

Ah, too bad I'm using Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM. Those have tall heatspreaders.

You're using the Samuel 17 with the ASRock Z77-ITX and it's not blocking anything?

Nop. Note that you will need more than 70mm of available place (45mm for the heatsink + 25mm for the fan) and the RAM needs to be of "regular" size (~42mm or so).

This is for a HTPC with no overclocking needed though.

I'm in Europe and the Samuel wasn't that hard to find locally.

I found that the Xigmatek PRAETON LD964 will work. ASRock has a compatibility list on their site and the Xigmatek was on there so I just ordered one.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3897098/Z77E-ITX Heatsink Compatability List.pdf

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233103
praeton_ld964-fp2.jpg

praeton_ld964-fp4.jpg

Nothing other than the cpu socket / cpu lives inside the area bounded by the mounting pegs, that is the CPU exclusion zone.

I really like the 9900MAX. Using it in my FT03. Won't fit in this FT03-Mini though that my ASRock is in.

Scythe Kozuti, without obstructing the PCI-E slot:

1.jpg

2.jpg

But it did require some modding, both to the board and the cooler.
On the cooler - you have to mount it using the further set of holes on the 1155 bracket.
As a result, it shifts about 5mm upwards, leaving a small area of the CPU's IHS uncovered:

4.jpg

You have to use a very flat-head screw or flatten a regular screw's head like I did, with a modified plastic spacer in between:

6.jpg

On the board - you have to flip the PCH heatsink for the heatpipe not to push against it:

3.jpg

Out of curiosity, have you tried mounting it in the other orientation, i.e. rotated 90 degrees?

I've just recently been able to cram an AXP-140 onto an Asrock Z77E ITX in an SG05. Apart from the ram height making the cooler difficult to install, it works like a charm.

I used a Scythe 12mm thick fan and had to mount it with wire ties since the mounting clips weren't made to accommodate such a slim fan.

DSC03072_zpsec2997ae.jpg

DSC03071_zps4b7e367e.jpg

DSC03074_zpsdd270c34.jpg

Out of curiosity, have you tried mounting it in the other orientation, i.e. rotated 90 degrees?
Yes, when you do that the heatpipes on both sides block one of the memory slots.
If I try to put it in another orientation as I have it right now (modded), it collides with the CPU VRMs heatsink :(

I thought noctua NH L-12 looks much better then AXP-140, still looking for noctua.

Samuel 17+Scythe Slip Stream Slim - 120mm x 12mm High Speed Fan - SY1212SL12H seems will not block PCIE or Mem
will they fit LianLi PC-Q08 for my new build?

Samuel 17 has been proven to be a perfect fit for the Z77E-ITX. According to official spec, in a PC-Q08 you can fit something as high as 110mm. The Samuel heatsink alone will go up to 45mm. You can mount a 25mm thick fan with no problems :)

Samuel 17 has been proven to be a perfect fit for the Z77E-ITX. According to official spec, in a PC-Q08 you can fit something as high as 110mm. The Samuel heatsink alone will go up to 45mm. You can mount a 25mm thick fan with no problems :)

thank you very much, I will post pic after build is done.

Has anyone tested phanteks ph-tc90ls yet? I'm having hard times to find something getting along with corsair vengeance in both of slots which won't have to be h50/60.
According to some web pics of cooler on atx boards should be just fine, but I want to make sure.
Thanks in advance.

Actually really interested in whether or not the up and coming Thermalright AXP-100 will fit this mobo without any interference.

Anyone got any details? It looks like it would fit and all.

Depending on the case you have, the noctua NH-U9B works on it at any orientation but some you might be missing a fan.

Actually really interested in whether or not the up and coming Thermalright AXP-100 will fit this mobo without any interference.

Anyone got any details? It looks like it would fit and all.

I wonder how the AXP-100 will stack up against the samuel 17, both are about the same size.

hello, can you help me, if i'll use no_overcl. i5?
what will be the bext choice Scythe Kozuti (SCKZT-1000) ore Xigmatek Praeton LD964
thanks

Hi KoTb,
can't recommend the Scythe Kozuti, didn't fit for me exactly and had to remove parts of the cooling solution next to the cpu socket on the asrock. I think it handles some power regulation or the cpu, hope it's not too important. Otherwise it didn't fit...

Thx, realy Xigmatek Praeton looks like better choice in LianLi q11
(sorry for my English(C))

Who knows, but the Samuel 17 was shipped yesterday and arrived today! Now I'm just waiting on my motherboard rma now...

Is this illegal by any chance?

In theory, yes, as the fluid volume is greater than 3.5oz (the TSA max, IIRC) -- in practice, it depends on the screening agent. Really, it's the large amount of electronics that freaks them out more; I had the same issues when I would carry-on my sport parachuting rig (with the included cypres2)... I had to carry around a card that had an x-ray image and explained what each part was as well as a copy of the relevant USC section detailing the space/room/reimbursement requirements they needed to provide me if they wanted me to unpack the parachutes.

At the end of the day, it's an extra hassle; but then if you're not traveling by plane it's a non-issue :D

Oh, and update on the AXP-100 from Thermalright that it's release date bumped to the right into December. :(

In theory, yes, as the fluid volume is greater than 3.5oz (the TSA max, IIRC) -- in practice, it depends on the screening agent. Really, it's the large amount of electronics that freaks them out more; I had the same issues when I would carry-on my sport parachuting rig (with the included cypres2)... I had to carry around a card that had an x-ray image and explained what each part was as well as a copy of the relevant USC section detailing the space/room/reimbursement requirements they needed to provide me if they wanted me to unpack the parachutes.

At the end of the day, it's an extra hassle; but then if you're not traveling by plane it's a non-issue :D

Oh, and update on the AXP-100 from Thermalright that it's release date bumped to the right into December. :(

Thanks for the info. Man, what a hassle they put you thru!

Back