Glad I got a old LGA 1155 to play with, didn't realize the pins are so fragile

RecentlyAdded

Limp Gawd
I bought an old Dell Optiplex 7010 from ebay and decided to move the mb/cpu to a more modern case.
Took a whole day, couldn't figure out why the system wouldn't post after the move.

Long story short, I probably bent a few pins on the LGA. Didn't realize how fragile they were. I casually dropped the cpu into the socket, spin dropped, spin dropped etc..
Was dumb of me, but glad i learned my lesson on a cheap mb since all the x86 are LGA going forward.

How I found out is 1 of the DIMM wasn't functioning which is why the mb wouldn't even post. Did a few googling and found out a bad cpu pin is the most likely cause of DIMM slot not working....
Fixing LGA pins are a pin.

What does "spin dropped" mean?

I've upgraded a lot of LGA CPUs over the years and have yet to have a failure. Slow and careful is obviously the way to go. What was even worse was having to balance your entire heatsink directly on top of the exposed core of your CPU back in the Pentium3/Athlon days. If you weren't careful you could chip the corner off of the core, and if you bumped the heatsink while the system was running the CPU could overheat and fry itself almost immediately (no thermal throttling in those days).

I've upgraded a lot of LGA CPUs over the years and have yet to have a failure. Slow and careful is obviously the way to go. What was even worse was having to balance your entire heatsink directly on top of the exposed core of your CPU back in the Pentium3/Athlon days. If you weren't careful you could chip the corner off of the core, and if you bumped the heatsink while the system was running the CPU could overheat and fry itself almost immediately (no thermal throttling in those days).
I assume they mean they lost control of holding the cpu, and it spun loose in their hands and landed a corner into the pins. That's how most of those incidents seem to go.

Get a super fine needle and a magnifying lens or jewelry loupe, easy peasy

Instead of carefully examining the notches then carefully place it in, i just drop it into the square. If it doesn't look right, I spin it 90 degrees and try again. Obviously a screwed up the DIMM slot by bending or breaking a pin (think I actually broke off a pin) lessons learn

Back