Ghetto Engineering presents - northbridge fan on DS3

Leb_CRX

Gawd
bored tonight, wife went to bed early, and as I sat oc'in I touched the northbirdge...and damn it was hot

since it's late at night, and nothing's open, I decided to use what I had to mount a fan...

step1:
-analyze the parts you have and can work with

1.jpg

step2:
-decide on fan
2.jpg

step3:
-pullout the big toys (that you really don't know how to use..well)
3.jpg

step4:
-inventory parts
4.jpg

step5
-ATTACK!!!!!
5.jpg

step6
This is VERY VERY VERY important step, and I can NEVER stress this enough...before testing ghetto mods on your 'good' PC...test it on the GF's..she's asleep and won't mind...hard to see but it works
6.jpg

step7
yank out the mobo tray on your case...if you have one, if you don't, you're not l33t...and begin taking stuff off
7.jpg

step8:
mount fan on...I used screws, I took the northbridge heatsink off and did it to not risk damaging the mobo...I advise you do the same...I didn't apply AS...I should of
8.jpg

step9:
admire good work...and if you're old enough to drink, have a beer...no pics
9.jpg

hope you enjoyed it, not to be taken serious, was done for shits and giggles, and mainly out of boredum..and a cooler northside bus

well i'm certainly impressed, if my DS3 northbridge gets too hot and it ends up being a problem, i'll probably do the same thing, find a "ghetto" way to mount a 80mm on or near it hehe.

Yeah. The fins bend enough to keep the fan attached.

I have a Zalman passive blue cooler with 2 40mm fans screwed into it. Both running at 5v is totally silent but dropped my NB temps by 16'c.

I have a tiny fan I got from an old P1 heatsink on my 875 cooler. Used to be too hot to touch, now it barely gets warm. I had used white glue to attach it to my previous board(P4B with i845) but I was too lazy this time so I managed to stick it on using the clips that were part of the fan mechanism. It fits very snugly and works well. Pics here, though you can't really see it too well: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030075866&postcount=1167

Did anyone know that 25x25x10mm fans existed? Those are REALLY SMALL. I'm talking, like an inch across.

These would be awesome for cooling Vreg and Mosfet heatsinks.

WOW, very nice job sir. I need to get around to fixing my old stock NB heatsink. Right now I'm using a the Zalman blue passive heatsink and it works really really well, much better than i could have hoped for actually, but since i have a Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D motherboard, it gets in the way of PCI-E Dimm1 so i have to put the card in Dimm2 and that allows my card to only run at 8x :mad: so i really need to put my stock one back on when i find the time to solder the fan wires back together (oopsy while i was lapping it :p )

Anyway, Very very nice job.

Here's mine.

IMG_0446.jpg

It's not screwed on yet, but everything lines up. If you can't tell from the picture it's a Zalman VF700. Now I just need to find something for my SB.

Arcygenical said:
^^ That's *AWESOME*

Technically not ghetto either ;).

Thanks! It may not look ghetto now, but I'll use zipties to attach it and the ghetto factor will rise ;)

CPLB said:
Thanks! It may not look ghetto now, but I'll use zipties to attach it and the ghetto factor will rise ;)

Why dont you go get some screws intead?

The smallest type, I believe 4-32's will fit in those holes on your MB.

In addition, you can get those brass nuts (the ones that you always see with watercooling or bolt down HSFs) for really cheap, and totally cut out the ghetto factor ;)

kill4killin said:
CPLB....damn that thing JUST clears that thermalright HS doesn't it...good job man.
Looks like he had to chop off quite a few fins to get it to clear the CPU socket.

so you say your wife went to bed early, and you tested it out on your girlfrinds computer?

not even close to ghetto

ghetto would be mixing and matching

i have the swiftech NB cooler on my 8RDA3+ Pro, but with the stock epox fan ZIPTIED to the side so it'll clear my massive SI-97A with 120mm fan adapter and 130cfm delta

on my stepbrothers i have the stock EPOX NB cooler with the swiftech's fan using the stock ABIT pushpins on a KV7

that is ghetto

screws? pfft...

my friend's blue Zalman has a 50mm fan stuck to the side with a rubber band, because the NF4 chip was raping the heatsink.

nice work though, both the dude with the DS3 and the Zalman VF700 heatsink :)

I used AS5 and a hot glue gun to glue a HSF onto a G3 imac processor :D.

As5 in the middle, dabs of glue on the outsides. Rinse/repeat.

I used rubber bands and hotglue to mount a P3 HSF onto my old GF2 MX200. Works like a charm :D. I also made a custom fan shroud out of cardboard and a 40mm fan and used white glue to attach it to my Radeon 9600's passive heatsink. I used the card up until a few weeks ago, and it worked flawlessly until the day I took it out.

lozaning said:
so you say your wife went to bed early, and you tested it out on your girlfrinds computer?

haha if only that was the case...it would make for interesting things ;)

ya she's actually my fiance, so you'll have to excuse me, I meant to put 'wifey' up top, but ya, you get the point, I can show ya my 'soon' to be wedding ring if you'd like...nov 4th...the big day

thanks foir the replies guys

I have an update to make...the fan was a bit noisy last night so I took it off, went ot the store and got a 40mm today...and mounted it on...with duct tape...I couldn't get screws in there, and I was in a rush to game...now, are the people who didn't call this ghetto, satisifed with the ghettoness now? ;)

I'll post pics soon, like 5-10 minutes, just got to reply to a few emails :eek:

CPLB said:
Here's mine.

[IM]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/lbrycecp/IMG_0446.jpg[/IMG]

It's not screwed on yet, but everything lines up. If you can't tell from the picture it's a Zalman VF700. Now I just need to find something for my SB.
nice

we should make a [h] ghetto mod crew :eek:

here we go, all done

gonna check it periodically to make sure it doesn't fall up, but it's on there good...or I wouldn't risk it

10.jpg

11.jpg

I did the same thing. I bought a $2 40mm fan and attached it on the NB heatsink using small copper electrical wire from Lowes. then connect the fan 3-pin plug into mobo sys power connector. the heatsink is now cool to warm to touch.

Another thing I noticed is that System Temp tool like Easytool and speed fans measure System temp reading from SB, not NB. SB is very hot too but there is no way to attach a fan. So I bought a PCI slot fan and the SB is cool now. System fan temp reading is 37 idle.

foxnews said:
Another thing I noticed is that System Temp tool like Easytool and speed fans measure System temp reading from SB, not NB. SB is very hot too but there is no way to attach a fan. So I bought a PCI slot fan and the SB is cool now. System fan temp reading is 37 idle.

I cooled my sb by using thermal tape and a small heatsink. It works just great for cooling it and with the slight airflow in the area already I didn't have to add any fans so its a 'silent' mod for coolness. Here's a link to show you what I'm talking about.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1107012

You can see the black, spikey heatsink in one of the pics on the first page of that thread. Works like a charm and the thermal tape is so cheap its practically free.

dekard said:
I cooled my sb by using thermal tape and a small heatsink. It works just great for cooling it and with the slight airflow in the area already I didn't have to add any fans so its a 'silent' mod for coolness. Here's a link to show you what I'm talking about.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1107012

You can see the black, spikey heatsink in one of the pics on the first page of that thread. Works like a charm and the thermal tape is so cheap its practically free.

you have alot of space to fit that sb heatsink. my x850xtpe won't allow any more space for anything big underneath

foxnews said:
you have alot of space to fit that sb heatsink. my x850xtpe won't allow any more space for anything big underneath

There are other options that are smaller... A sb really doesn't need much cooling.. Nb is a bit different beast though. :)

Back