Gaming screen upgrade from a korean 27

Droc

2[H]4U
I have one of the early shimian 1440 displays, well i had two but one died and its not possible to get a matching one(the first tempered glass version has been DCed).
So im considering a change.

I enjoy my current screen, but I wouldnt mind something with a better refresh rate/lag and even size.
Is there any real upgrades for under $1000? Moving up in size and quality?

The Dell u3011 is probably the only screen worth upgrading to from a 1440p display. It's not 120hz though if that's what you're after. Stay away from the u3014.

The 4k displays are the next step, but the nvidia drivers still suck ass. Plus there's the price issue.

The important question is: what you game?
For FPS games you can sidegrade to 1080p 120hz TNs.
For MMORPGs and RTS you can side grade to 2560x1080p from LG and AOC, or upgrade to 39" 4k Tvs.
selling your shimians and getting new gen overclockables qx2710 are a valid alternative. You will not get 120Hz with SLI 670, but you can increase your fps/hz as you upgrade your rig. Plus the new koreans have much better quality than their predecessors.

The 3011 is a downgrade since it has, worse black levels, uses a grainy matte coating, is wide gamut, has slower pixel response times & higher input lag. There are no 30" monitors which can compete with the best 1440p models right now unless you consider having wide gamut colors (inaccurate & over-saturated) a positive thing.

There are plenty of great 1440p monitors, the best two name brand models are the

Eizo EV2763W & Viewsonic VP2770

Korean Options: Qnix QX2710/X-Star DP2710-overclock to 96hz+, matte+glossy options, may use PWM. No one has reviewed an X-Star but they use the same panel+casing.

If you live in North America IPS LED Monitors sells quite a few Korean 1440-1600p models and has a 30 day no hassle return+exchange policy.

Single Dual-Link DVI Input Models: Lack color controls, only have brightness controls and nearly negligible input lag. The Qnix+X-Star can overclock

My Review

Big Qnix/X-Star Thread

Crossover 2735AMG-glossy, no PWM, allegedly has a less reflective plasma deposition coating vs. regular glossy monitors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Multi-Input: Have color controls, extra inputs and around 1 frame+ of input lag. Can not overclock without dropping frames

Crossover 2720MDP-this is the only multi-input model confirmed to have proper brightness controls.

Read more here about the multi-input displays which lack proper brightness controls (I'm Menacing Tuba)

Crossover 2755AMG-2013 model, it should be fine since the Crossover's usually are

Crossover 2763AMG-same as the 55 but has a displayport.

Yamakasi's never get reviewed and the Achieva multi-input models usually suck

The important question is: what you game?
For FPS games you can sidegrade to 1080p 120hz TNs.
For MMORPGs and RTS you can side grade to 2560x1080p from LG and AOC, or upgrade to 39" 4k Tvs.
selling your shimians and getting new gen overclockables qx2710 are a valid alternative. You will not get 120Hz with SLI 670, but you can increase your fps/hz as you upgrade your rig. Plus the new koreans have much better quality than their predecessors.

really? I had no idea the newer ones were any different.

my x-star 27" can do 90hz easily. it will actually go up to 120hz and test ok,but there is some artifacts on the screen. But even a 30hz jump is noticeable,everything is just much smoother.

Back