Galaxy Abandons North American GPU Market @ [H]

NO! I got it!
They are in a partnership with Valve, and they are rebranding their entire line with Half Life 3 branding.

Half-Life 3 confirmed!!!

This is sounding an awful lot like BFG did. I had a BFG gtx280 in a warranty claim with them and it took FOREVER to get it back. About 3-4 weeks later they went under. Sucks too because I had two of those cards. The other died shortly after and the warrantied one less than a year after that.

Hopefully the galaxy owners don't get the same shaft.

I rather expect that the Galaxy rep here will have a new job by tomorrow. I'm sure companies will be competing for his services.

I was wondering why I couldn't find any decent low end Galaxy cards for my HTPC. I just assumed since they were relatively new to the market here they they only did mid-range to high end cards. So I was waiting patiently for them to offer something in my price range w/ HDMI.

That sucks so bad now.

I wish they could just give me a straight answer, whether or not I will receive my replacement card. I'd like to just go head and order a EVGA 780ti and get this disaster over with. They have been jerking me around with my RMA status for 2 weeks now.

Disappointing, along with Zotac AMP! gpu's, Galaxy GC gpu's were always fairly priced in Canada and often cheaper or the same price as competitors reference models.

So did they mean they had issues with all sales reps? Cause I can't find a damn Galaxy card anywhere

I wish they could just give me a straight answer, whether or not I will receive my replacement card. I'd like to just go head and order a EVGA 780ti and get this disaster over with. They have been jerking me around with my RMA status for 2 weeks now.

Two weeks isn't all that long honestly. It took over a month to get my GPU back from Gigabyte.

Wow, no matter what's behind it I personally am saddened by this.

While I've never owned a Galaxy card, I have always been impressed by their custom cooling solutions on their cards and their willingness to put reps out on some of the popular tech forums. I could be mistaken, but didn't we have a Galaxy rep here at the [H] for awhile? I seem to remember him/her resolving RMA and support situations with [H] members in the distant past...

I think this brings the number of board partners that produce attractive enthusiast level cards down to just a few now.... namely Asus, Zotac, and MSI. EVGA has pretty much cemented themselves as producing flavorless direct reference design cards, PNY... well my experience with PNY cards has never been great. Gigabyte seems to be branching out lately with custom PCB designs and cooler designs so they may be one to keep an eye on...

It's not just a pity that Galaxy is gone, but a pity that they didn't handle it in a much more professional manner. :(

Thanks for the article, Kyle... it's exactly this kind of no-holds-barred information that keeps [H] as my homepage.

Two weeks isn't all that long honestly. It took over a month to get my GPU back from Gigabyte.
Are you joking? If a company had my GPU for 2 weeks and didn't even confirm with me what was going to happen I would be beyond angry. That's not acceptable service.

Bad economy means that the average consumer doesn't spend as much money on frivolous purchases. As you may know by now the way our laws work, the rich are getting richer exponentially day by day. Because of this transfer of wealth, companies like Wal Mart are having to layoff 2,300 already underpaid employees as poor people can't afford the items at Wal Mart. They have priced themselves out of the working poor's budgets. Over a thousand people including college graduates are living in the storm drains under Las Vegas. These people are not drug addicts or mentally ill. They simply can't afford housing because of the transfer of wealth from the working poor to the rich elite.

Well what does this have to do with companies pulling out of North America? To reach consumers with your product it requires tons of advertising that is not cheap. America is not small so you have to pay multiple outlets to run your ads. Since only the few have enough income to afford luxuries such as Sony VAIO and $700 video cards, the sales aren't high enough to warrant staying in the market or spending money on advertising. It doesn't make fiscal sense to do so.

Who are you going to sell your product to? It surely won't be to blue collar workers. Migrant workers can't afford it. School teachers can't really afford them unless they cut out many other things from their life. If the people that are most likely to purchase your product can't afford it, then it's time to leave the market. Sure the people that are getting richer can afford it, but their consumer purchasing power is limited due to the fact that it's just too few of them. How many XBOX One consoles, Sony VAIO, 4K TV's, etc does one man need?

Goddam rich people..............:mad:
It's all their fault.

Orly? What?:eek:

Sorry I couldn't join the discussion earlier, but I'm finally here to hopefully help ease you guys' fears in addition to sharing an official statement regarding the matter.

First the official statement:

"In response to reports of an alleged end to Galaxy’s business in North America, we would like to make clear that Galaxy is not pulling out from the North American market. We have recently had some changes in our structure and discontinued working with our current sales rep in North America but have no intention of ceasing business and operations in the region. Galaxy will continue all support and service as usual. We have a full team of staff servicing users’ RMAs and our support hotline is still operating. Our service email is still working as usual, we will continue replacing cards for end users, and our warranties will be honored and valid."

In short, we're still here and so am I. Support should be moving along just fine, but if anyone's having any trouble at all with a replacement or needs help with anything please shoot me a pm and I'll jump on it right away.

Sorry I couldn't join the discussion earlier, but I'm finally here to hopefully help ease you guys' fears in addition to sharing an official statement regarding the matter.

"In response to reports of an alleged end to Galaxy’s business in North America, we would like to make clear that Galaxy is not pulling out from the North American market. We have recently had some changes in our structure and discontinued working with our current sales rep in North America but have no intention of ceasing business and operations in the region. Galaxy will continue all support and service as usual. We have a full team of staff servicing users’ RMAs and our support hotline is still operating. Our service email is still working as usual, we will continue replacing cards for end users, and our warranties will be honored and valid."

In short, we're still here and so am I. Support should be moving along just fine, but if anyone's having any trouble at all with a replacement or needs help with anything please shoot me a pm and I'll jump on it right away.

Good to hear from you!

Does Galaxy have technical support contracted going beyond February? Does it have an address that I can RMA cards to currently? Does Galaxy have an office in the USA? If so, what is the company name and address?

Last edited:
It's funny you should mention BFG. At the [H] get together at Tiger Direct last year (GTX780 unveiling) I immediately recognized the Galaxy reps to be from BFG.....

Yep. I loved my BFG 8800 GTX-512's, they're still in great working order. When I upgraded to two 460 SOC's, BFG was gone, so I went to their replacement: Galaxy. Now I have two 760's from...MSI...sad day, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/GalaxyUS

Their actual facebook link.....

Galaxy said:
In response to reports of an alleged end to Galaxy’s business in North America, we would like to make clear that Galaxy is not pulling out from the North American market. We have recently had some changes in our structure and discontinued working with our current sales rep in North America but have no intention of ceasing business and operations in the region.

Galaxy will continue all support and service as usual. We have a full team of staff servicing users’ RMAs and our support hotline is still operating. Our service email is still working as usual, we will continue replacing cards for end users, and our warranties will be honored and valid.

I really hope for the sake of the people who purchased Galaxy cards due to the SERIOUS plugging that Galaxy recently received on the forums that the service and support continues to go forward and that users arent screwed in the end.

There was an awful lot of "Galaxy love" here for awhile and I saw A LOT of members purchasing their cards due to that love. Would be a shame to get screwed over like that. Hell, I was VERY close to pulling the trigger on a Galaxy card until the price mistake came up at Amazon.

I used the Galaxy GTX 780 HoF and had 0 complaints, such a great card for not only price but stock clocks were quite good. My first Galaxy card, but the experience was very positive. I also emailed them about the issues of "burnt vram" that people were complaining about, according to Galaxy the burnt chips were nothing what users claimed them to be, but.. well, this email should explain:

Yeah, those are only isolated issues.

It’s also worth mentioning that the chip that burnt is not vram, and in fact is not even used when the card is connected properly. That chip is only activated when the power cables are not connected, and its function is only to display a warning message when this happens.

I had linked them this in regards to the issues,
http://cdn.overclock.net/1/18/188aa909_SAM_0456.jpeg

and

http://www.overclock.net/t/1426886/which-780-should-i-get/10#post_20810143

whats the problem? ppl send their broken card to a warehouse and then they ship it by boat to china and then they ship it back. Perfectly accepted industry practices. :p

When I bought a GTX 460 they didn't honor their mail in rebate. I called to argue with them over it since it was close to $50 and they basically told me to go fuck myself. Since then I could give two shits about the company. Good riddance for all I care.

ROFL

They discontinued their relationship with the NA sales rep but still offering support.
Which means no product is being sold in the US, but we'll support the product sold.

So much spin.

The whole thing is strange. Doesn't add up. It does sound like spin, but then again....what does Galaxy stand to gain from being dishonest about it? Their products aren't being sold right now, so that isn't the reason. Maybe they're lining up a new reseller or something along those lines? I have no idea. Very very odd indeed. Wish we could get straight answers on this.

The whole thing is strange. Doesn't add up. It does sound like spin, but then again....what does Galaxy stand to gain from being dishonest about it? Their products aren't being sold right now, so that isn't the reason. Maybe they're lining up a new reseller or something along those lines? I have no idea. Very very odd indeed. Wish we could get straight answers on this.

But a company wouldn't risk not having any product sold while looking for a new reseller, they'll continue the relationship, no matter what the issues are.
Sounds more like the reseller refused to do business with Galaxy for NA, and now they're looking for one or none at all.

Hopefully they stay, I like market competitions for product sales.. keeps them low/reasonable aha.. Never heard of any big issues with Galaxy, Im trying to steer away from ASUS now..

When will we see Galaxy cards back for sale from resellers here in NA? Or will we?

I bought the Galaxy MDT 580 GTX back in 2012 after reading the great article on it here at the [H]. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/01/02/galaxy_mdt_geforce_gtx_580_video_card_review/#.UvQ0zLQgvfQ

It was a wonderfully designed and good looking card and you could tell the build quality and design were well thought out. Their non-reference designs impressed me always. I really miss how that card looked in my case.
The only reason I upgraded later in 2012 was because I was able to get my hands on 2 GTX 670s for an awesome price.

I was actually considering the Galaxy brand again after the next gen card came out (after the current 780 Ti). I do hope they get things worked out. More choice is better always IMO.

I bought a GTX 460 from Galaxy a few years ago because it was competitively priced and came with a $50 mail-in rebate. It was a great card at good price, still is actually, it's in my media center.

It always seemed like Galaxy's prices undercut all the top-tier brands but their cards weren't noticeably worse. Certainly a cut above Power Color's junk cards. I'd be a shame if they disappeared from the shelves here (I live in Canada but most companies treat US and Canada as one market).

But but but, white pcb Gpus!
Tis a shame, as I never heard many bad things about them (DOA cards, RMAs etc) besides the white PCBs causing more problems than usual.

But but but, white pcb Gpus!
Tis a shame, as I never heard many bad things about them (DOA cards, RMAs etc) besides the white PCBs causing more problems than usual.

That's racist.

Kidding aside, I still hope we get straight answers on this....if Galaxy is looking for new resellers, their PR statement would make complete sense. I just don't know what to think at this point. I would hope they're not being dishonest.

That's racist.

Kidding aside, I still hope we get straight answers on this....if Galaxy is looking for new resellers, their PR statement would make complete sense. I just don't know what to think at this point. I would hope they're not being dishonest.

It's only racist if you're talking about black GPUs causing problems... :p

And yeah, the whole thing seems odd to me. I wish the Galaxy rep would be a little more straightforward about it because something doesn't add up.

Hopefully they can iron out this wrinkle. I've bought two cards from them and have had no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again should they continue sales in NA.

I've always thought that Galaxy was pretty sketchy as a company in regards to the U.S.. Initially when they entered the market they were pretty much grey market hardware with little to no warranty. Their one draw has always been that they were cheaper than everyone else. Not better, more robust or cutting edge, just cheap. Screw 'em.

Back