Galactic Civilizations III Now Set for May 14 Release

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
This week, Stardock Games announced that its latest game, Galactic Civilization III will be released on May 14th. By the title, this is obviously the third in the franchise from Stardock, bringing with it a host of new updates to the series.

Will it be as good as Moo2 though? Probably not. GCiv II wasn't.

Give Stardrive 2 a look if you want MoO2 feel, you'll play that game and say "they straight up just copied MoO2" with a modern feel. It recently came out though, and they're still patching it here and there.

If the description of the game is "obviously the third in the franchise" then doesn't sound like there's much going for it ;)

Will it be as good as Moo2 though? Probably not. GCiv II wasn't.

Masters of Orion 2 was the first thing I though of. GCIII has all the trappings of a great turn based space conquest game. I hope so.:cool:

I have played MOO, MOO2, GalCiv2, and a host of other space-based 4x games.

In my opinion GCiv2 is the best space-based 4x game ever made, just barely beating out MOO2 (on a scale of 1-100 I would say 95 vs 94 respectively).

MOO2 does win on raw gameplay, 98 to 96, because GalCiv2's economic system is just a tad weaker. GalCiv2 wins overall though because its ship design feature, which is arguably the best in-game design feature in any game (not focused on game design) ever.

Some examples below. GIS something like "galciv 2 best ship designs", or check out this thread, http://forums.galciv2.com/143307, to see more:

Fullview_fvcexperimentals.png

As for GalCiv3.... Apparently you can make ships that have moving parts. People have made Veritech style fighters that actually work. I don't know if it has an effect on combat, but the fact you can make them transform at all is very cool.

I bought CalCiv2 the day it came out in metal box but I walked away when too many reviews said the game could be over in less than 20 turns.

I tried playing it but it didn't click with me like Moo1 and more so Moo2.

Making pretty looking ships is actually not that important gamewise. It's the tech they carry and other factors have to work to make that work properly.

So... it is out on Steam!...

Anyone bite?

I forgot about it ... I have a vacation coming up ... depending on how much free time I have I might take the plunge ... interesting that it is for 64 bit windows only ... I wonder if that will hurt its adoption or not

Back