GA-Z170X Gaming 7 Mem Help

BradF1979

Limp Gawd
Slots 3 and 4 won't work even with single stick. Single stick works in 1 or 2, and 2 sticks work so long as they are in slots 1 and 2. Is this for sure a motherboard issue? I read memory controller is on CPU and this could be bent pins our uneven pressure from fan.

i6600k, Crucial 8GB x 2. All parts brand new, had no issues with CPU install, so chances of bent pins seems nil.

Thanks for any advice.

If it still fails with the beta BIOS you may be screwed. When you say "won't work", what specifically happens? Have you tried both sticks in 3 and 4? Have you tried resetting the BIOS to defaults?

And no one ever thinks they bent pins in a motherboard, but it still happens once in a while :p

My memory was on the compatible memory list. When I say it doesn't work, the LCD on the motherboard reports error 55 which in the manual states memory error.

I took the CPU out to double check the pins and lo and behold...

A single pin was bent 180 degrees from where it should be, with no other pins being disturbed. How is that even possible? The only thing I can think is that perhaps the metal bracket fell and hit the pin just right as it did fall one time as I was opening the lever. I reopened it, dropped the CPU straight in and clamped it shut.

I was able to bend the pin back into place (with a ton of patience, a magnifying glass, and a needle). It took a few hours as I had to be extremely careful not to disturb any other pins. I put the CPU back in and sure enough slots 3 and 4 were working. I'm now worried about the socket as a whole, especially integrity issues with that pin.

Do you know of any extreme stress testing I can do CPU wise to ensure everything seems okay? Intel Burn Test maybe?

PcQs7IV.jpg

It doesn't take much to bend a pin. Could have just grazed it somehow when installing/removing cpu. Just use the computer normally or run a few stress tests. The computer would be unstable in normal use if all of the pins aren't aligned properly.

These socket designs definitely suck from a mechanical perspective. I haven't bent a pin yet, however I feel the need to treat each CPU install like major surgery every time time I need to do one :eek:

Actually, cpu socket pin is the most sensitive part of the motherboard, so we have to have extra careful in handling this. It is hard to avoid bending pin but putting a caution on handling is required.
Any way, if the cpu pin is not break and can still return to it original position, try to test prime 95 stress test and memtest V 6.2 to check the system stability.
Now avoid getting to much contect with CPU.

These socket designs definitely suck from a mechanical perspective. I haven't bent a pin yet, however I feel the need to treat each CPU install like major surgery every time time I need to do one :eek:

Agreed, it's like open heart surgery

Haven't straightened a socket pin before, but I have had to straighten several on CPU's over the years. Bought a secondhand Phenom II a couple years ago and it was shipped without anything on the pins, all of them were smashed flat on one side of the chip. 45 minutes with a razor blade lining them up and the chip is purring away to this day.

TL;DR Run it, don't worry, be happy.

Kyle will tell you, I've bent plenty of pins in the sockets. It doesn't take much. I've popped off the covers that supposedly protect the sockets and bent pins doing it. Now I remove them like I'm doing surgery without a license while an insurance company watches me. I haven't had any trouble since. For awhile Kyle quit sending me motherboards with those socket covers on them. Another point worth noting is that the design of those covers changed since then. The new ones don't have parts that go into the socket anymore.

Back