G4 Power Mac

obviouslytom

Fully [H]
I have an old G4 PowerMAC M8570 and I am wondering if there is any benefit of keeping it around.

Would that system be good for anything?

Its a dual G4 with 2gb of ram (I think). I got it for free from work since no one was using it and I can't get it to boot because when you hit the power button, the power flickers and then nothing happens.

You could turn it into a home file server, provided you can get it to boot haha ;)

Well, if you can get it to boot, it will run MorphOS or Linux. With Linux it should make a fine server. MorphOS will be fun for you if you are/were into Amiga, but it's not super useful due to lack of modern software packages.

I'm guessing the PSU is toast. IIRC, some G4's had a problematic PSU. I think you can convert it to use a normal ATX PSU though.

Since it is the 2P version with 2GB of system memory, you should have a decent system on your hands.
If you can find a PSU for sub-$50 that will work with it, then I would say go for it.

The G4 PPC processor may not be as fast as most newer x86 processors, but PPC is an incredibly stable architecture that, even when under full load, will not falter.

Pawn it for a Mac Mini.

Because the $100 he can potentially get for that system will totally cover a Mac Mini's price tag. :rolleyes:
Hell, he should just throw that system away and go get a Mac Pro. Nuff said.

Im on the same page with everyone else. either convert to an ATX psu, find an old G4 PSU online and make it into a Server. I believe it has 4-5bays for HDD's correct? throw some drives in her, and set up sharing with a RAID setup (good thing with macs they all come with built in raid) and you'll have a secure little home server (accessible by windows computers as well)

^ Why pawn it for a Mac Mini?
Do you mean a used or a new one?

Both a relatively expensive, and for a just a file server, the 2P G4 will be more than enough for a single/multi user environment.
Seriously, what are you talking about?

First take the battery out of it and see if it then turns on. With it flickering it prob is a power supply but the older apples had weird issues with the power management. Pulling the internal battery with it unplugged would reset it. If it manages to come on once the battery is pulled you reset the prm and put a new battery in.

Back