funny issue, can't isolate.

Eminence_Front

Weaksauce
I have a problem with my system, and for life of me cannot isolate it.

So, other than just saying "the mobo is crap", I decided to ask if any of those out there who tinker more than me, could answer if they have seen this before.

Specs:
MSi 790GX-G65
Phenom X4 955 BE
8GB g.skill PC 12800 DDR3
4 GB A-Data 2000x DDR3 (removed for testing)
XFX HD4650

Problem: intermittently (usually after running for a while and rebooting / power cycling) upon reboot, the bios will halt during post and state "Cmos battery low, hit F1 to enter setup, or F11 to enter boot menu"

This system is 3 yrs. old. Bought new and built by me. I have built on the order of 50 pc's in the last 20 years. I have a dual PIII 1Ghz on a SuperMicro board that has been running off and on for almost 10 years, and the CMOS battery is still good.

So, to be reasonable, I went out and bought a 3 pack of CR2032 batteries at frys. Didn't fix the issue. The only workaround has been to
a.) physically clear cmos by jumping the contacts on the board (cmos switch will reset settings, but doesn't clear issue.)

b.) I found if I remove a card, or a stick of ram and reboot the issue goes away.

Almost as if bad bios rev. or some stored setting is jacking up the bios.

So..I put 2 sticks of ram in, pulled out everything except the video card, and was still able to duplicate this issue. After a reboot, (warm cycle) the system halts, complains about bad CMOS battery (even though it's brand new.)..

Anyone every seen this with MSI boards or any other MoBo ? At this point, it's out of warranty and I guess I'll begrudgingly update to a new board, and try to migrate my win 7 install over.

This is a giant PITA, and it's done this for some time now, I just leave it running 99% of the time and usually can work around it. I just wish I had RMA'd it when I had the chance.

Thanks for any input you guys can offer.

id try another bios first....could be a corrupted bios or possibly a board going bad...you did a good job of troubleshooting up tp this point....another bios rev. or a reflash....if no joy post back...alot of experience here with that system...

Back