FrozenCPU Shuts Its Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why businesses should not accept Bitcoin.

wow, if this is true thats really sad.

it's been heartbreaking watching all the small mod shops close up realizing that that era of pc enthusiast is on its way out. so many of the mod companies are either gone or have very tiny inventories nowadays.

that said i admittedly only shopped at frozencpu when they had something nowhere else did because they reamed hard on shipping.

Well that is an interesting statement, Seems alive and well to me.

Man, I was just blocks away from the place on Sunday (Weekend Drill). Someone should have spoken up earlier and I would have drove past the place.

That is unfortunate if true. In my early 20s I was really into watercooling and mods. I ordered alot from frozencpu during that period. Between frozencpu and voyeurmods thats where majority of my watercooling and case mods came from.

Its bittersweet as I've gotten older my I care less about mods and watercooling. I don't want to say the sky is falling, but I think this is a sign that the PC enthusiast community is slowly shrinking.

Where am I going to buy water pumps and fujipoly thermal pads? FFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuu!

Well that sucks if its true. I just ordered a couple fittings and radiators from them for my new build and they always have great service. Even had a fan arrive broken and they replaced it with no problem. Prices are sometimes a little high but usually not bad, and they are really close to me. I guess all these storms must have damaged the building. :(

Performance-pcs.com is still up. But their website redesign in the past few months is a huge PITA. I've heard stories on some customer service issues with them, but I have never confirmed anything since all of my orders have been fine.

One day Ppcs told me they shipped me a motherboard and processor, with a whole bunch of my WC gear. I ordered the WC shit, but I already had a board/processor (the waterblock, a dtek fuzion V1, didn't even fit on the board they said they shipped).

They called DAY AND NIGHT and harassed me for 2 weeks. Hank and a few other sales reps too. They called my school Dean (I was living in a college dorm at the time), as they knew I was an international student and mail fraud would revoke my F1 Student Visa. The guy on the phone even threatened to get me expelled or arrested.

Apparently they don't know the law, in which anything shipped to me, intentional or not, via USPS becomes my property... But nonetheless, I certainly didn't order an Intel 920 and accompanying motherboard with a socket 775 waterblock.

They were also nice enough to tell me my 2000$ worth of yearly business was "peanuts to them." I'm glad they blacklisted me. As if I was going to ever buy from them again!

Ugh...this is indeed a sad day. I have ordered from them in the past with no issues and great prices. One of the things I will always remember is that energy drink commercial they had linked on their website for 'Cocaine' - LoL. The original video was hilarious....I think it was removed after a bit...but I wish I had a copy ...heh.

never ordered. always had high prices and shipping charges were high for small items.

Well that is an interesting statement, Seems alive and well to me.

it's alive, but it was bigger before. we are coming into the era of disposable tech.
more mods are big dollar fab mods, which are awesome, but we are sort of losing the average modder.

we're here which means it will still be kicking, but think about it, xoxide shut down a while back (the real xoxide, not the shell that was bought), the inventory at svc is way down, PTS is gone, Danger Den is gone.

not saying its over or anything, just that the viability of those businesses is telling that the market isn't what it used to be. I poked around amazon and it's not like the big A stole all their business. It doesn't even have some of the stuff those shops did.

So if this is true and another big player is down. Its a sad loss for the DIY mod community.

dunno maybe i'm looking at it wrong, but just sort of what i've been seeing nowadays, even as PC gaming is back on an upswing.

If this is true, it really is sad. I have been using them for over a decade and they treated me right. Bent over backwards the few times a problems to get them fixed.

I used to love shopping at FrozenCPU. I really stopped when they became less and less competitive with pricing. FrozenCPU always fulfilled my orders quickly and accurately. If they made a mistake they always made it right. Sad to see them go.

I ordered about $1000 worth of CaseLabs cases (which I know dropship from Cali, but I don't pay tax this way as I am located in Cali) and also multiple radiators. Everything was delivered perfectly.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy more stuff from them, but with them closing it breaks my heart. I really liked shopping with them and I am very happy I used my saved 10% off coupon a week and a half ago.

Damn, shit just got real.

The Swiftech hardware rep in that thread is now also saying FrozenCPU is out of business. :(

It's too bad. Back when I was into WCing I bought about half of my stuff from them. If the claims of the owner having an addiction problem then I hope you gets the support he needs

I used to love shopping at FrozenCPU. I really stopped when they became less and less competitive with pricing. FrozenCPU always fulfilled my orders quickly and accurately. If they made a mistake they always made it right. Sad to see them go.

About the same here, only time I really used them recently is for hard to find specialty type parts that places like amazon and newegg don't or quit carrying.

I always had great service there, and man, they've been around forever. Pretty sad :(

Frozen CPU is (was) the best place for the hard to find stuff...I'd always go there for DEMCIflex dust filters, obscure size fans, and other little bits and pieces of kit that were the finishing touches on my builds.

Hopefully they recover and don't disappear into the mists of history.

Performance-PC's got all of my business (and were completely fantastic!) when some db at FrozenCPU decided to get smart over a return. I originally ordered one of those Corsair GPU coolers and decided to go full blown water cooled - my fault but it was handled poorly on their end. Oh well... They could have pocketed another $1500 or so in water cooling parts.

it's alive, but it was bigger before. we are coming into the era of disposable tech.
more mods are big dollar fab mods, which are awesome, but we are sort of losing the average modder.

we're here which means it will still be kicking, but think about it, xoxide shut down a while back (the real xoxide, not the shell that was bought), the inventory at svc is way down, PTS is gone, Danger Den is gone.

not saying its over or anything, just that the viability of those businesses is telling that the market isn't what it used to be. I poked around amazon and it's not like the big A stole all their business. It doesn't even have some of the stuff those shops did.

So if this is true and another big player is down. Its a sad loss for the DIY mod community.

dunno maybe i'm looking at it wrong, but just sort of what i've been seeing nowadays, even as PC gaming is back on an upswing.

Yeah, also doesn't help that the days of lan parties have started to fade also. Before taking your computer somewhere to show it off was a big thing also so it gave you reason to go crazy. Now... you came make it look nice but then you are just going to post pictures on some social networking side or some forum where they are forgot about a day later. You don't have anywhere to take it to show it off.

sounds like the owner snorted everything away....

And ran a friggen truck through the warehouse!? At least thats what that post made it sound like. First, the addiction, then the very next sentence "Physical damage to the warehouse..."..."events that unfolded earlier last week....rendered the company unoperational...."

Sounds like some crazy happened. This isn't the normal way of going out of business...

Agree, frozens customer support never let me down. I always used them or ppcs for my watercooling needs. :(

That sucks, they had quite the large list of Lian-LI parts and accessories.
They also had a huge selection of fans, albeit their prices were a tad high.

The site is still up and there are no disclaimers it's closing or they having a
going out of business sale.

I think we're getting to the point where most hardware is simultaneously so fast and runs so cool even on air that watercooling just isn't as much of a thing as it was a decade or more ago.

Awww man... :(

FrozenCPU was the place to go to for difficult to find liquid cooling parts. I placed an order on June 8, 2014 for $300 worth of parts and the order was delivered perfectly. I'm going to miss having them around. :(

That's a real shame I remember being right at their warehouse about 15 years ago. Since it was a semi local company I always tried to buy stuff from them when I could.

I think we're getting to the point where most hardware is simultaneously so fast and runs so cool even on air that watercooling just isn't as much of a thing as it was a decade or more ago.

It definitely isn't. That's for sure. You can get 99% of whatever you'd want done CPU wise with a standard self-contained unit like the H1xxi series.

It definitely isn't. That's for sure. You can get 99% of whatever you'd want done CPU wise with a standard self-contained unit like the H1xxi series.

ya things have changed that's for sure...

I still really miss Danger Den, man they made nice stuff

I just ran into a box full of old parts I got from them back in the day! Sad 2 see them go but sounds like a new owner is needed either way.

damn they had over priced stuff but some of it was really nice quality and usually in stock... kinda scary that you can't delete your account via the account tools...

Well no shit? Sell your stuff for more than anyone else and no one will buy anything.

true, the few things i did buy from them were a bit more, but i knew they would arrive and i wouldn't have any issues with them, even all the way to Costa Rica.

That's a shame. I always had great luck wit frozen cpu. I got most of my WC gear from there and it always came really fast.

Its 15 min from me so I can swing over tomorrow and see what's up. I was one of the very first walk in customers.

I remember when they moved to the current location I felt good that they were making it and Mark had a slick Mercedes Benz AMG SUV .

Bummer

Frozencpu was where I got my first WC setup. Sad to see them close the doors. Is it confirmed yet?

EDIT: We just heard back from Mark Friga, the owner of FrozenCPU.com, a long time enthusiast community supplier, and he explained to me that FrozenCPU is in fact not going out of business as rumored earlier today. He said that FrozenCPU is currently running a skeleton crew and to please bare with his company while the it is ramping back up to 100% employee capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back