French Designer Working on "Revolutionary" Product For Apple

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, these guys are getting so excited about this "famed designer" working on a top secret product for Apple, I don't have the heart to tell them we heard it was a yacht. :D

Also of note is Starck's assertion that he used to visit with Steve Jobs about once a month, either in Palo Alto or elsewhere, where the two would talk about about "all things interesting." So what are we to make of this? Is Starck here referencing the mythical Apple HDTV? A release in 8 months falls in December, which according to some analysts, is right around when Apple is planning to unleash its HDTV on the market.

Whenever Apple uses the word "revolutionary", it makes me think of how that word doesn't actually mean what they think it means...

So they started with a iPod made it bigger iPhone made it bigger iPad made it bigger ihdtv, what's next?

So far Apple's inroads to TV have gone down faster then a $2 dollar whoa...look at the time.

Any way, I think Apple will find the pricing pressures of being in commodity consumer TV market to be a little tougher then they expect. People want a good picture and good sound. The rest is trivial.

In fact, the vast vast majority of people aren't even aware they purchased a smart TV that can be hooked to the net.

Unless Apple can magically produce OLED cheaper then LG, they are screwed.

So far Apple's inroads to TV have gone down faster then a $2 dollar whoa...look at the time.

Any way, I think Apple will find the pricing pressures of being in commodity consumer TV market to be a little tougher then they expect. People want a good picture and good sound. The rest is trivial.

In fact, the vast vast majority of people aren't even aware they purchased a smart TV that can be hooked to the net.

Unless Apple can magically produce OLED cheaper then LG, they are screwed.

You don't understand the power of marketing. You may have a nice TV. You may even have the best TV. But people won't really care. If you purchase an Apple TV, people will know you're cool. Given that Apple has a decent history of good screens (other than the abysmal resolution on the iPhone-iPhone3GS) I'd imagine they'll have a screen that's in the top 20% of the market as far as performance, and the top 5% as far as price. It'll be gimmicky, and people will probably just use it to stream their iOS device up to it like what the Apple TV does right now anyways for $99. But people won't care... it'll be cool because of that apple logo. And that's all that matters to the majority...

I'd expect a $3,000 price point for a 46-55" display.

<s>
It'll probably have an iPod touch as a remote control, which will require you to press a button to turn it on... so innovative to have to press a button, look at the screen, then push a virtual button to adjust the volume, as opposed to just pressing a volume button on a normal remote which can be done solely by feel... Who would want to be caught dead with a normal remote after this!
</s>

That last description I heard of an Apple HDTV's interface sounded like Kinect gesture and voice commands.

Of course, it will come out 2 years later, build on Kinect's past work with some reverse engineering, get to see what people like and dislike about how it works, not be hobbled by being tied to a piece of 7 year old hardware, and then come out with a better version for a higher price. Then pretend they invented it.

its a new shade of shiny white white plastic to hold the over priced weak ass hardware and it has the sticker of the french flag on it.

Its the new hot thing for apple hipsters dumb enough to buy it.

220px-Drapeau_de_la_France.png

pepe.jpg

Given that Apple has a decent history of good screens (other than the abysmal resolution on the iPhone-iPhone3GS) I'd imagine they'll have a screen that's in the top 20% of the market as far as performance, and the top 5% as far as price.

No. Why am I so certain? Because Samsung makes Apple's screens and not Apple. Apple doesn't make anything, they just get it from someone else, meaning it will always be more expensive. If I wanted a Samsung monitor/TV then why in the world would I pay a higher price for an Apple-branded Samsung monitor/TV? Or LG? Or Sony? the list goes on.

Apple stuff do tend to have a fantastic quality to their screens but only because companies like LG and Samsung are pushing the envelope and making it all...

It could be interesting. Starck actually designs some interesting stuff. For instance, one of the French Internet providers got him to redesign their modem.

It originally looked like this:
freebox.jpg

The updated Starck version looks like this:
freebox-france.jpg

Fun detail -- take note the time (this was used all over the publicity campaign).

What are the odds of Apple going into a legal battle with Starck later on?

It could be interesting. Starck actually designs some interesting stuff. For instance, one of the French Internet providers got him to redesign their modem.

freebox.jpg

freebox-france.jpg

Fun detail -- take note the time (this was used all over the publicity campaign).

I actually prefer the simple clean look of the original.

I actually prefer the simple clean look of the original.
Me too. The new ones are bulky and ridiculously ugly (I've seen them in person).

Philippe Starck's design is form over function — a perfect fit for Apple.

Another example:
Parrot-Zikmu-speakers-review-6-SlashGear.jpg

$1600 iPod dock. It's extremely ugly, and the sound quality obviously sucks. And yes the enclosure is made of plastic.

Or just try to stay one hour in a chair designed by this guy.

But he's very good at getting media coverage.

Me too. The new ones are bulky and ridiculously ugly (I've seen them in person).

Philippe Starck's design is form over function — a perfect fit for Apple.

Another example:
Parrot-Zikmu-speakers-review-6-SlashGear.jpg

$1600 iPod dock. It's extremely ugly, and the sound quality obviously sucks. And yes the enclosure is made of plastic.

Or just try to stay one hour in a chair designed by this guy.

But he's very good at getting media coverage.
While I prefer the Freebox V6 over the old one, that dock is hideous...

freebox.jpg

freebox-france.jpg

Is that a USB port? So the red tab is part of the main device itself?

Rather unusual design, but if it's like this, then i suppose they're taking the cue from the XBOX and Wii.

I like the redesigned modem, I wouldn't use that iPod dock if you paid me $1600.

Lot of "perhaps" words at the end of that article..
*Perhaps* I don't give a shit.

Is that a USB port? So the red tab is part of the main device itself?

Rather unusual design, but if it's like this, then i suppose they're taking the cue from the XBOX and Wii.

Yes that is a USB port. There is also the stand for modem:

freebox-v6-revolution-free.jpg

(The one with the grey port is the Internet TV adapter/DVD&Bluray player that comes with the modem).

Personal taste, but I think he did a good job with these -- they look nicer in your household that the old tacky modems made out of obviously cheap plastic.

it will be typical for apple, Mid level quality with super premium pricing. This is their mantra...

Almost all LCD/LED screens are produced by only a handfull of companies... this will just be a rebaded midrange sharp or somthing with their bullshit box wired in internaly...

basicly a bunch of off the shelf crap ina shiny cool box that costs more than everyone else....

good luck with this in the sub $600 50" world we live in now..

Im sure it will sell good tho.... appleheads buy any shit with that logo on it....

Back