Frankenstien HTPC?

CHUFLY29

Weaksauce
I have my old EVGA 750i FTW, 2GB of PC6400, E8400, and a ATI 650 HD sitting around gathering dust and I figured I could use it for a HTPC. The intent is to watch TV, stream movies and dink around on the web. I'll get a Blu-ray drive sometime down the line. This is all going to be hooked up to a old Panny LCD through HDMI (32", only 720p).

I was thinking of purchasing to round out the build:
Case: Silverstone LC13B
Video Card: Asus 5670
Hard Drive: WD Green10EVDS 1TB
PS: Corsair CX400
Heatsink: any suggestions?

Is there anything else I'm missing? I was thinking the chip and mb are a bit overkill and was thinking of selling them and buying more "suitable' HTPC components but figured I'd run it by the [H] to gather any suggestions.

Last edited:
I dont know if I would consider the chip overkill for todays HD multimedia. the board, yeah maybe...but will you be able to sell it, replace it, and still have money left over? if not, just use it. No point in selling something just to get something that is lower end for the same money. Keep in mind, Ihave no idea of the current value of the board, just a general statement.

Actually just built one of these for my boss recently. worked pretty well with his system.

maybe a sound card couldn't hurt, but otherwise seems solid.

Back