Fox to Offer Free Live Streaming of Super Bowl

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you were worried where to get your Super Bowl fix this year, fear not, Fox has you covered. The entire Super Bowl XLVIII will be streamed along with the halftime show.

Fox’s NFC postseason games, though, will be available behind a paywall for customers of certain cable companies, including AT&T U-verse, Cablevision, and Comcast.

Superbowl, Superbowl, that's either a gift for the stoner who has everything or that TV thing with the commercials...

I don't have cable TV and I have been able to watch every college and pro football games online. This year has brought on an onslaught of streamers. It's really point-less to purchase any PPV for football games.

I don't have cable TV and I have been able to watch every college and pro football games online. This year has brought on an onslaught of streamers. It's really point-less to purchase any PPV for football games.

One could say they never paid for a single movie ticket or bought a single dvd but watched every movie released... illegally downloading is illegally downloading even if it's streaming.

So if I go to a sports bar I'm committing illegal downloading? I see no point in myself going to a sports bar or just watching a stream online.

The difference being that the sports bar paid for a license

Yes and No. According to a copyright lawyer tmroe.com, there is very specific rules and guidelines for playing copyrighted material at bars, clubs, or restaurants.

If you have under 3750 sq ft, less than 4 monitors, TV less then 55", and less than 6 speakers then you are not in violation of any copyright laws.

So if I go to a sports bar I'm committing illegal downloading? I see no point in myself going to a sports bar or just watching a stream online.

You must be one of those people that feel entitled to seeing every TV show or movie for free.

But the important question is....
Who is the halftime show this year?
Is it someone well past their prime and might have a heart attack mid performance that we all stopped caring about 30 years ago or a teen heart throb for the boys or girls?
AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, WHY?! WHY??!! Cant we get Budbowl back?
Beer bottles playing football is MUCH more entertaining than some of the teams that play in the regular season we're fooled into thinking are "elite athletes" like the guys that play for the Cleveland Browns!

They finally realized this is how to kill piracy. Now so long as they do not use silverlight and/or stream it in ultra low resolution, etc...they may hit the nail on the head here.

If you go to a sports bar no you are not committing illegal downloading. However you said

I don't have cable TV and I have been able to watch every college and pro football games online.

Watching every game online is not going to a sports bar.

They finally realized this is how to kill piracy. Now so long as they do not use silverlight and/or stream it in ultra low resolution, etc...they may hit the nail on the head here.

How many 30 second ads at $4M each would they need to sell to provide that level of bandwidth for potentially millions of users (I'm thinking overseas as well) all streaming at the same time?

How many 30 second ads at $4M each would they need to sell to provide that level of bandwidth for potentially millions of users (I'm thinking overseas as well) all streaming at the same time?

Bandwidth wouldn't cost that much, they probably have special online ads, trying to diverse more and get more views.

multicast

NBC streamed it live free last year too.

Yeah that's true. I live in the bay area and don't have cable and watch all the 49er's games off the air and have for the past couple years in HD for free. I don't know why anyone would pay for that. The playoff games were shown on NBC today and tomorrow they'll be on Fox. I won't be missing much.

Hoping for real time and HD. Expecting 240p with a broadcast delay.

The NFL had to make up for not allowing tail gate parties at the Superbowl, this year.

Now if only we could get NBC to stream the Olympics the same way

But the important question is....
Who is the halftime show this year?
Is it someone well past their prime and might have a heart attack mid performance that we all stopped caring about 30 years ago or a teen heart throb for the boys or girls?
AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, WHY?! WHY??!! Cant we get Budbowl back?
Beer bottles playing football is MUCH more entertaining than some of the teams that play in the regular season we're fooled into thinking are "elite athletes" like the guys that play for the Cleveland Browns!

I think I saw a commercial yesterday that the half time performer is going to be Bruno Mars. Could be worst, really.

all i think about is those poor keyboard and mouse covered in BBQ sauce and doritos cheese

Gotta say, this stream is surprisingly high quality and stable so far...and it seems to be hosted by Akamai no less!

What are the odds we get the same sort of bandwidth/quality for the Olympics?

Gotta say, this stream is surprisingly high quality and stable so far...and it seems to be hosted by Akamai no less!

What are the odds we get the same sort of bandwidth/quality for the Olympics?

you are looking at different companies, fox vs nbc, so it is hard to tell.

Since we don't have a cable (or satellite) subscription, we've been looking at the possibility of streaming. So far, the information from NBC is "you're SOL".

Since we don't have a cable (or satellite) subscription, we've been looking at the possibility of streaming. So far, the information from NBC is "you're SOL".

NBC is going to stream the Olympics on facebook, they already announced that.

If only the NFL had allowed streaming inside the stadium, the people there might have actually been watching the game!

Only time I can remember that I didn't like the commercials or the game.

I guess my mother picked the right day to fall, and have me spend all day in the hospital with her instead of getting to go to my cousin's for the big game, beer and wings.

Back