for only gaming do i need x670e? or b650e? No bad Assrock

RainerV

n00b
Good evening, for ryzen 7800x3d, RTX 4090 and 2 ssd pci4, using all this only for gaming, do i really need to go with X670e?
Between b650e and x670e there's an difference of 150-200 more cost.

Plese not Assrock, that company use bad cheap failures components from years, where an motherboard from they it will last max 2 years and then it will start to be hot and burning itself and working badly.

Need a strong word, obviously not, what could it mean to need to go x670e ?

What the real question being asked ?

Anything PCI 5.0 express being worth it for gaming in the next 2-3 years is extremely unlikely.

Power wise a 7800x3d is quite easy to drive and you do not need to chase high DDR 5 ram speed with it.

Other way to put it, 7800x3d is so easy to drive that for game, between cheap A620M and a 670 you will not necessarily see any difference:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-7800x3d-runs-on-a620

What worth to get over the currently on sale nice basic B650 board will be quite either speculative on the future upgrade or personal, it is a lot if not all on what you want IO wise and what the board make possible, performance wise in a game do not expect it to matter much like it could on a really strong cooler pushed 13900K trying to reach 7600 mhz DDR-5 setup.

The only real difference between the Socket AM5 chipsets is the number and type of PCIe lanes they make available for the board manufacturer to utilize. If all you plan on plugging in to it is a video card and 1 or 2 NVMe SSDs, then the B650 is more than sufficient. Just look for a B650 board with the layout and features you want at a price point you find reasonable.

Anything PCI 5.0 express being worth it for gaming in the next 2-3 years is extremely unlikely.

Power wise a 7800x3d is quite easy to drive and you do not need to chase high DDR 5 ram speed with it.

Other way to put it, 7800x3d is so easy to drive that for game, between cheap A620M and a 670 you will not necessarily see any difference:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-7800x3d-runs-on-a620

What worth to get over the currently on sale nice basic B650 board will be quite either speculative on the future upgrade or personal, it is a lot if not all on what you want IO wise and what the board make possible, performance wise in a game do not expect it to matter much like it could on a really strong cooler pushed 13900K trying to reach 7600 mhz DDR-5 setup.
In next year i could change the CPU With the new model series ryzen 8xxx.

In theory, you will be able to do this (with the appropriate BIOS update) with ANY Socket AM5 board. AMD has promised multiple chip generations will be supported on the existing AM5 chipsets, but it remains to be seen how like or not it will be to the situation that happened with Socket AM4 boards. AMD ultimately allowed X370/B350/A320 boards to support the last generation of AM4 chips (re: 5000 series), but only reluctantly after a lot of backlash AND some price pressure from Intel. It had the effect of making Socket AM4 an exceptionally well-supported, if not the best supported platform, in PC history... but it certainly was not out of the kindness of their hearts.

Lol, so you know enough about motherboards to determine that "Assrock" uses poor quality components, but you can't determine if you need B650(E) or X670(E). Since you're so good at analyzing motherboard components I'm sure you realize the Asrock B650E Taichi Lite is a terrible value and uses inferior components, so definitely avoid that one. And make sure to not look at rear I/O, expansion layout, PCIe 4.0/5.0 assignment, and VRM quality/thermals in your board search. I'd just get literally any Asus/MSI/Gigabyte board since they are just inherently better.

Lol, so you know enough about motherboards to determine that "Assrock" uses poor quality components, but you can't determine if you need B650(E) or X670(E). Since you're so good at analyzing motherboard components I'm sure you realize the Asrock B650E Taichi Lite is a terrible value and uses inferior components, so definitely avoid that one. And make sure to not look at rear I/O, expansion layout, PCIe 4.0/5.0 assignment, and VRM quality/thermals in your board search. I'd just get literally any Asus/MSI/Gigabyte board since they are just inherently better
Some people are notoriously unreasonable , while taking in consideration only the benchmark itself ,the price and especially the OC feature = you catch people on your web-marketing. But in reality they don't see the results in the long run , forgetting about the problems from the past about Asrock, like having cheap and fragile components that have difficult to resist during years in continue use. And that's mean and reduced life span for the motherboard itself and the bad performance that It can give After the 2 years of use, earning also some Bottleneck. For sure some people have never noticed these bottlenecks after an couple of years of use, since they are too much focused into their First benchmark With It's First use motherboard. I already said , people Easily forget if you show him the carrot , without seeing what's behind.

Well, this is a silly discussion. For DDR4 Samsung b-die was all the rage, for DDR5 is Samsung chips are meh and Hynix takes the crown.
Ten years ago Asrock boards were very budget, now for AM5 they are one of the best.

As for X670E, 99% of people do not need those overpriced boards. B650 ATX or even mATX board is enough for the most people.

B650 to X670E diff is mostly PCIe 5.0 (some B650 boards have PCIe 5.0) and number of SSDs.
I went X670E board as I needed 4 PCIe slots and all of them at at least PCIe 4.0 speed.

Gigabyte already released a bios with support for them even though they aren't out.

That's a plain jane B650 Aorus Elite AX (Rev. 1.0) sub $200 B650 board.

B650 to X670E diff is mostly PCIe 5.0 (some B650 boards have PCIe 5.0) and number of SSDs.
I went X670E board as I needed 4 PCIe slots and all of them at at least PCIe 4.0 speed.

As far I as I know there's only one x670e board that has four >=Gen4 PCIe slots and that is Asrock X670E PG Lightning.
It has x16 size slots with Gen5 x16, Gen4 x4, Gen4 x1 (from chipset) and x1 size slot with Gen4 x1 (chipset) which is useless as it is too close to GPU and would block its fans 99% of time.

As for having both GPU Gen5 and M.2 Gen5 both are kinda pointless as there are no Gen5 GPUs and there would not be any significant benefit until VRAM goes to 64+ gigs of DDR8 or DDR10, and Gen5 m.2 are just too stupidly expensive. Better get twice as big Gen4 and enjoy that.

Last edited:
As far I as I know there's only one x670e board that has four >=Gen4 PCIe slots and that is Asrock X670E PG Lightning.
It has x16 size slots with Gen5 x16, Gen4 x4, Gen4 x1 (from chipset) and x1 size slot with Gen4 x1 (chipset) which is useless as it is too close to GPU and would block its fans 99% of time.

As for having both GPU Gen5 and M.2 Gen5 both are kinda pointless as there are no Gen5 GPUs and there would not be any significant benefit until VRAM goes to 64+ gigs of DDR8 or DDR10, and Gen5 m.2 are just too stupidly expensive. Better get twice as big Gen4 and enjoy that.
At the end i bought Msi x670e Carbone for 482. The x670e tomehawk was 316, and i totally avoided Asrock and Asus Solution.

At the end i bought Msi x670e Carbone for 482. The x670e tomehawk was 316, and i totally avoided Asrock and Asus Solution.
1700620107411.png

Enjoy your carbone

Only diff between Tomahawk and Carbon is the RGB and audio codec. If I remember correctly. VRM nobody cares as everything is overbuilt and overclocking on AMD is an exercise in futility.

As for 4 M2 all at PCIe 4.0/5.0 is what is available on Tomahawk and many other boards as well.

Carbon is a great choice but I couldn’t justify near 200$ for audio improvements (which is debatable especially if you are like me and use a headphone).

Only diff between Tomahawk and Carbon is the RGB and audio codec. If I remember correctly. VRM nobody cares as everything is overbuilt and overclocking on AMD is an exercise in futility.

As for 4 M2 all at PCIe 4.0/5.0 is what is available on Tomahawk and many other boards as well.

Carbon is a great choice but I couldn’t justify near 200$ for audio improvements (which is debatable especially if you are like me and use a headphone).
Honestly i was buying the Tomehawk, but i saw an review in YouTube about It and he had a problem With this motherboard After power lose, i don't rembember the problem in specific. The review It s from Laurent's choice

In theory, you will be able to do this (with the appropriate BIOS update) with ANY Socket AM5 board. AMD has promised multiple chip generations will be supported on the existing AM5 chipsets, but it remains to be seen how like or not it will be to the situation that happened with Socket AM4 boards. AMD ultimately allowed X370/B350/A320 boards to support the last generation of AM4 chips (re: 5000 series), but only reluctantly after a lot of backlash AND some price pressure from Intel. It had the effect of making Socket AM4 an exceptionally well-supported, if not the best supported platform, in PC history... but it certainly was not out of the kindness of their hearts.
Too wordy. The correct answer was "YES".

Honestly i was buying the Tomehawk, but i saw a review in YouTube about It and he had a problem With this motherboard After power lose, i don't rembember the problem in specific. The review It s from Laurent's choice
Ain’t nothing wrong with it if you got the money ready. 👍🏻

Ain’t nothing wrong with it if you got the money ready. 👍🏻
I had the Money , now not anymore. I bought all the components , the gpu , RAM,SSD, case,motherboard overkilled my wallet xD. At least i Will Not buy case, motherboard and RAM for an very long time

Congrats on new system. For best results (assuming you will be fresh installing Windows), immediately after Windows installation download and install the AMD chipset drivers, directly from AMD. You should also download and install the latest motherboard BIOS for your particular board as well. You can run into weird problems if you don't.

ASRock is literally the best option for AM5 boards...I don't know why you have such hate for them

Back