For my 1st smartphone I am considering a Windows phone.

Is it really a 100 bucks or is there a contract?

Yup, if you walk into the store all it lists is $99 as the price, there are no other details and the sale will probably take 5 minutes.

Guy walks in the back, grabs phone, scans it and you swipe your card.

Yup, if you walk into the store all it lists is $99 as the price, there are no other details and the sale will probably take 5 minutes.

Guy walks in the back, grabs phone, scans it and you swipe your card.

I am in Canuckstein but I do go to Bellevue a lot is it the phone locked (what carrier)? TMobile is usually who I buy stuff through.

I am in Canuckstein but I do go to Bellevue a lot is it the phone locked (what carrier)? TMobile is usually who I buy stuff through.

Hmmm... I think it may be locked, there are 3 different versions of the 52X series, the one that TMO gets may be unlocked.

A lot of their phones are typically unlocked, I'd look into it if you were interested. I think if you plan on taking it to a different Carrier TMO should (maybe ATT) unlock it for you. These types of phones are sold with the intention of being used on the carrier.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

I just got done playing with the 1020 and the 520 (god what an amazing phone for $100). Have to say, great quality stuff.

See, I love this man right here. Such a beautiful thing you did Trim.

He did not listen to rumors, articles, bullshi that people push here as their own opinion with no facts backing it.

He went to the store, picked up the phone for HIMSELF, and made an educated dessication based on HIS personal experience with the devices.....

Wish more people would do what you did, and stop listening to the articles like they are the bible....Don't people realize all reviews are bias towards the writer? Company writing it? Editors?

I only read articles to hear what's coming around the corner and to see how the device works.....most times video reviews are on mute.

Yeah, my YT app works fine, but when I actually try to play a video, it says "an unexpected error occurred". If I go to their desktop site or mobile site, it tells me I need Flash player, but you can't install Flash on WP. The only way I can play vids is if they are embedded into a webpage like [H] News.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/16/4627342/microsoft-google-battle-over-youtube-windows-phone

Mine does not do that?????

I am running WP 7.8

Here's the problem with WP - if it takes 3 pages on a forum like [H] full of techie people, and you still can't convince them why its a good OS, then normal people will never use it.

So, you still have yet to post a pic of your username written on paper with your supposed WP device......

So again, I assume you're just a forum junkie who just likes to spit what you see/hear about a device you've never used.

Here's the problem with WP - if it takes 3 pages on a forum like [H] full of techie people, and you still can't convince them why its a good OS, then normal people will never use it.

The lack of common apps is very real, whether its a real issue, perception or marketing. I'll bet you a lot of WP users have no idea that the integrated messaging hub works for FB. And they don't care, they want to see timeline and all the other fancy shit FB has.

MS are as usual arrogant and adamant that they will continue to sink money into the platform. Instead of approaching all the popular app vendors, offering them dev help to build the app etc. They did this with Netflix on the Xbox.

People don't know about WP! They walk into a store and no one is going to try and sell them a WP device. Friends will tell them about it, they'll ask where's app X and get no answer. Unless MS radically changes its strategy, this will not change.

sorry, but this board can't even figure out that Windows 8 can be used without the metro tiles 99% of the time.

And LOL @ Here maps not being integrated with the OS. I know I didn't read that on this thread(I did). Here maps has improved light years with every update and is not only integrated and turns addresses into mapable links, but it also links directly to whatever driving app you use. I personally use Here Drive, which is a heck of a GPS for free.

The OP would be more than fine getting a WP8. I went from Android to WP8 and I couldn't be happier. Several of my friends and family have made that move too and seem to really enjoy the ease of use and quickly, non-buggy operation. The app store continues to grow as well. Just wish they'd make WP8 the tablet OS instead of RT.

He did not listen to rumors, articles, bullshi that people push here as their own opinion with no facts backing it.

He went to the store, picked up the phone for HIMSELF, and made an educated dessication based on HIS personal experience with the devices.....

Wish more people would do what you did, and stop listening to the articles like they are the bible....Don't people realize all reviews are bias towards the writer? Company writing it? Editors?

I only read articles to hear what's coming around the corner and to see how the device works.....most times video reviews are on mute.

Haha, thanks for the praise. If you want good articles on mobile phones, Anandtech gives great ones. They can seem a bit biased but written purely on experiences and personal opinion.

One thing WP can do to not drive people away is make their homescreen seem less busy. I love live tiles but I can see how people see it as busy.

I just did the same thing today. I was about to pick up a 1020 full price off contract and then while the guy went to the back to get one for me. I took a look at the Appstore and they dont even have Runtastic Mountain Bike, and no google voice I dont think chrome is on there as well. 3 of my most used apps and they dont have it. I was so close to buying one, the hardware is solid, I messed around with the camera stuff and the demo they had it destroys my GN2 and iphone 5. I thought by now a year after the 920 which I did have for a few weeks they would have more apps. I guess I was wrong.

I just did the same thing today. I was about to pick up a 1020 full price off contract and then while the guy went to the back to get one for me. I took a look at the Appstore and they dont even have Runtastic Mountain Bike, and no google voice I dont think chrome is on there as well. 3 of my most used apps and they dont have it. I was so close to buying one, the hardware is solid, I messed around with the camera stuff and the demo they had it destroys my GN2 and iphone 5. I thought by now a year after the 920 which I did have for a few weeks they would have more apps. I guess I was wrong.

Everyone has different needs. Personally, I am in the same boat as you. Hardware is nice but OS still needs work. Lacks a lot of apps and the current ones are not on par. You mean Galaxy Nexus 2? If you don't need LTE keep an eye on the Oppo N1 and seems like curved and flexible displays are around the corner.

Unknown - FB Beta app is much better than official app. Pandora is free on WP8, no ads.

I think the voice recognition is best on WP8 vs Android and iPhone. Weird because I believe they all use Nuance. Shame, it's not so bad. They just need a major overhaul and work on apps.

Everyone has different needs. Personally, I am in the same boat as you. Hardware is nice but OS still needs work. Lacks a lot of apps and the current ones are not on par. You mean Galaxy Nexus 2? If you don't need LTE keep an eye on the Oppo N1 and seems like curved and flexible displays are around the corner.

Unknown - FB Beta app is much better than official app. Pandora is free on WP8, no ads.

I think the voice recognition is best on WP8 vs Android and iPhone. Weird because I believe they all use Nuance. Shame, it's not so bad. They just need a major overhaul and work on apps.

I mean Galaxy Note 2. I dont care for FB so not a deal breaker. I do however dont pay for texting and I use whatsapp, iMessage and Google Voice and that covers me for text messages. Seeing as how WP8 doesnt have Google Voice is an absolute deal breaker. I bought everyone in my family whatsapp just in case I switch around so they can still text me. I know WP8 has whatsapp. Sucks to lose iMessage until the next iPhone but I can deal. Apple can suck it this year, not buying 5 iPhones they missed out. I would swap everyone off iPhone for a year but we have a lot of apps and my mom and dad are used to iOS so I am not going to try and retrain them.

Anyways the other deal breaker is the Mountain Bike Pro app, I use that at least 3-4 times a week. I mountain bike at the park a lot and like to log it, helps me train. I can deal without chrome as well but its not quite a deal breaker I just like the sync and bookmarks.

EDIT: I am not going back to HSPA+, even though its decent here on AT&T the latency and time it takes to start a connection annoys me quite badly.

They have runtastic, which is same company, but I do not see a mountain version...

Just saw your sig on the GN2 - doh! lol

I'm hoping Nexus 5 is good as it seems high end or they are also coming out with an inexpensive Moto X as well...

WP8 has voice commands and voice to text just like Google and Apple does. I think it works quite well, 8.1 was supposed to be see increased support for it.

^ hopefully we all get the updates for it. I am looking forward to Nokia's 15XX phablet as well

I am glad to hear I am not the only one rocking a flip phone.. though I am not overly enthused about jumping off sprint, as I am equally not enthused about tacking an extra $40 to my phone bill a month.

No official Google apps. You can use metro talk for your Google voice needs. Browser selection sucks, as in you can only have the stock browser, unless you root. Honestly the stock browser never bothered me and is better on the wp8 devices, I only had a 7/7.5 device.

After playing with a lumia at my Verizon store it made me miss my old trophy or rather WP. I'll switch back one day.

No official Google apps. You can use metro talk for your Google voice needs. Browser selection sucks, as in you can only have the stock browser, unless you root. Honestly the stock browser never bothered me and is better on the wp8 devices, I only had a 7/7.5 device.

After playing with a lumia at my Verizon store it made me miss my old trophy or rather WP. I'll switch back one day.

I had some problems playing some videos on the stock browser when I tired it at the store. My GN2 worked fine but the Lumia 1020 couldnt get it to work. One reason I wanted to replace the iPhone 5 was to watch videos while I wait for class wasnt a deal breaker for me on WP but certainly disappointing. The Apps are deal breakers though. I will revisit next year when WP9 comes out and hopefully the merger between MS and Nokia will make the phone WP users deserve. The 1020 is almost there.

I had some problems playing some videos on the stock browser when I tired it at the store. My GN2 worked fine but the Lumia 1020 couldnt get it to work. One reason I wanted to replace the iPhone 5 was to watch videos while I wait for class wasnt a deal breaker for me on WP but certainly disappointing. The Apps are deal breakers though. I will revisit next year when WP9 comes out and hopefully the merger between MS and Nokia will make the phone WP users deserve. The 1020 is almost there.

What are you talking about playback?

Are you talking media stored on the device?

A media medium online, like Netflix/Youtube/Hulu?

Are you attempting a personal streaming?

The only problem I know of with WP8 and media play back is it has some wonky support for some of the codec's, mostly to do with sound. What was your problem?

Google voice is called "Gvoice" I actually use it weekly, there are 2-3 others that are 3rd party.

Chrome could not compare to ease of use and stability of the native web browser on WP devices (I am on WP 7.8)

Rustastic MB most likely has a 3rd party version that works.

The only problem I know of with WP8 and media play back is it has some wonky support for some of the codec's, mostly to do with sound. What was your problem?

I tried to play some steaming videos off the web browser that required flash I think? Wouldnt play any of them. Unless I have to install flash separately?

I just bought a 925 and i am really of mixed emotions. It's fast, the hardware is great and the nokia apps are awesome. There are some shortcuts missing and you have to drive through alot of menu's to achieve stuff like wifi and bluetooth and the not and that drives me bananas. I really like the tile system and what not i keep mine pretty minimal. The only other problem i have is the lack of apps i need or functionality in those apps. Here is two example. First the App i need that I'm missing is USAA banking app. Its how i deposit checks and the like. The second is Delta. On android and iphone with the delta app i can buy tickets, check in and load an electronic boarding pass so i never have to hit ticket counter> now on the feature list it says i can do this in the windows app but so far both times i've used it this has not been an option. Also, i can't actually buy a flight with it. I actually use that feature and sometimes buy tickets in the airport parking lot because of the way my schedule works.Also i really need gchat and can't seem to find an app to do that. With some shortcut ability for wifi and the like and some more apps i think it will take off.

I just bought a 925 and i am really of mixed emotions. It's fast, the hardware is great and the nokia apps are awesome. There are some shortcuts missing and you have to drive through alot of menu's to achieve stuff like wifi and bluetooth and the not and that drives me bananas. I really like the tile system and what not i keep mine pretty minimal. The only other problem i have is the lack of apps i need or functionality in those apps. Here is two example. First the App i need that I'm missing is USAA banking app. Its how i deposit checks and the like. The second is Delta. On android and iphone with the delta app i can buy tickets, check in and load an electronic boarding pass so i never have to hit ticket counter> now on the feature list it says i can do this in the windows app but so far both times i've used it this has not been an option. Also, i can't actually buy a flight with it. I actually use that feature and sometimes buy tickets in the airport parking lot because of the way my schedule works.Also i really need gchat and can't seem to find an app to do that. With some shortcut ability for wifi and the like and some more apps i think it will take off.
I would pin the settings to your home screen. This makes it a tile and you can access it quickly. It is two taps, one for settings and once in settings toggle your feature.

That said I'm sure there is an app at this point that allows for one touch on/off settings. I was using an older wp device.

I tried to play some steaming videos off the web browser that required flash I think? Wouldnt play any of them. Unless I have to install flash separately?

Hmm.. I don't think I tried any flash specific video's before.

I would pin the settings to your home screen. This makes it a tile and you can access it quickly. It is two taps, one for settings and once in settings toggle your feature.

That said I'm sure there is an app at this point that allows for one touch on/off settings. I was using an older wp device.

Connectivity Shortcuts. You can pin WiFi, Bluetooth, cellular data connection to the start screen for one touch access to each of them.

There is an app that you can tile for wifi/cell/airplane mode.

I did not buy it, but the one I am "trying out" is Network Dashboard.

Unknown - FB Beta app is much better than official app.
Really not sure what you're talking about, the beta app is nearly identical to the released version :confused:

Mobile flash is dead. There will be no Windows Phone or iOS version, and all development of the Android version stopped ages ago.

Last edited:
After having multiple Android phones, and two iPhones I switched to a Nokia 920. All the apps I need are either built in or available and it doesnt have the issues that bugged me so fucking much with Android like forceclosing and never getting updates. I really enjoy this phone more than any other phone I have had. YMMV

Just as an update, I'm liking the phone more and more, got it pretty well figured out. The only real negatives left are USAA app not working yet (they are working on it ^ ^). i still miss being able to click on the top banner to bring up WiFi stuff, and i am using a third party IM app because G-Talk doesn't work on messenger app (and i actually like the messenger app) the IM app downloads push messages and then the message all over again which is annoying

That being said: its easy to list the complaints, here are some positives: its fast, the operating system is really fast and responsive way more so than I've ever had on my android phone. Most the features are built into the phone and it works pretty easy. The features are neat the way you can change explorer around and what not. battery life is awesome ^ ^

Sign up for a free dev account and get OS updates as they roll out direct from MS. Loving it.

I have a WP phone I gave it a whirl for 2 weeks there are some things I like. Web Browsing experience is pretty good and smooth. Overall the stability of the OS is good. Speed was also very good, I was impressed with battery life as well.
The built in apps are horrible. Email App sucks for exchange. No Customization for UI with out downloading stupid apps. Android IOS just drag an icon to create a folder well WP fuck no you need to spend 30 minutes on downloading an app sitting to no end customizing and following bad instructions.
What really killed the phone for me is the color, I just can't fucking stand the color schemes Monochrome color scheme makes me want to puke and background color choice of light vs dark is a brain killer.
Lack of Gestures that are present in 8 are no where to be seen. Like closing an app.
Shit Notification center also just annoyed the fuck out of me.
MS release RDP on IOS and Android yet nothing on their flagship product, really seriously WTF?

I have a WP phone I gave it a whirl for 2 weeks there are some things I like. Web Browsing experience is pretty good and smooth. Overall the stability of the OS is good. Speed was also very good, I was impressed with battery life as well.
The built in apps are horrible. Email App sucks for exchange. No Customization for UI with out downloading stupid apps. Android IOS just drag an icon to create a folder well WP fuck no you need to spend 30 minutes on downloading an app sitting to no end customizing and following bad instructions.
What really killed the phone for me is the color, I just can't fucking stand the color schemes Monochrome color scheme makes me want to puke and background color choice of light vs dark is a brain killer.
Lack of Gestures that are present in 8 are no where to be seen. Like closing an app.
Shit Notification center also just annoyed the fuck out of me.
MS release RDP on IOS and Android yet nothing on their flagship product, really seriously WTF?

Seems like you had no idea what WP7-8 is about before even buying it?:confused::confused:

Your complaints are quite amusing to say the least. WP8 in a nutshell is a customizable iphone really. No live wallpapers, no "ricer" styling etc etc.....

E-mail app's suck for exchange? How so.....I have 2 exchange and 4 gmail accounts now on my phone and I would enjoy hearing how they suck since they work for me?:confused:

You complain of the colors of the tiles and the background? Would you really want another color for the background minus a dark and light background? What color do you really want your tiles? Sure there are some monochrome colors.....but there are also highly contrasted colors as well.

You want to kill apps? Hey, this isn't iphone or droid man......once you open another app you already "killed" the other apps......and it only keeps a few sessions opened at once anyway.
You can tell that all the app's are not open because battery life on WP > any other.

I can RDP just fine?????:confused:

Annnnnnnd you copy pasta this in another thread

Which leads me to believe you're a hater of which who has never owned a WP device, orrrrr you never had a chance to understand the ecosystem that is WP.

Just because Android market, and itunes have 30% useless apps, doesn't always mean they have more app's......

Does WP and Microsoft have a long way to travel? Hell yes.
Does Apple and Google have a long way to travel? Hell yes.

No one is perfect, no one is better.......because its all in the USER experience dictated by the user. The toss of that coin is people like you who just hold the phone like a hot potato and go wha what? what? wah? what does I do wif dis? omgerz its just not like what im used to and its just waaaaaaaaaah

Instead of adapting you expect it to be the same as everything else you know.

IE; Everyone who hates on Windows8......

Also, wtf@ downloading an app for 30 minutes???:confused::confused:
Where do you live? The north pole? No wonder you don't like the phone.......cause it sounds like your carrier is the issue.

Need me to break your post down anymore?

Seems like you had no idea what WP7-8 is about before even buying it?:confused::confused:

Your complaints are quite amusing to say the least. WP8 in a nutshell is a customizable iphone really. No live wallpapers, no "ricer" styling etc etc.....

E-mail app's suck for exchange? How so.....I have 2 exchange and 4 gmail accounts now on my phone and I would enjoy hearing how they suck since they work for me?:confused:

You complain of the colors of the tiles and the background? Would you really want another color for the background minus a dark and light background? What color do you really want your tiles? Sure there are some monochrome colors.....but there are also highly contrasted colors as well.

You want to kill apps? Hey, this isn't iphone or droid man......once you open another app you already "killed" the other apps......and it only keeps a few sessions opened at once anyway.
You can tell that all the app's are not open because battery life on WP > any other.

I can RDP just fine?????:confused:

Annnnnnnd you copy pasta this in another thread

Which leads me to believe you're a hater of which who has never owned a WP device, orrrrr you never had a chance to understand the ecosystem that is WP.

Just because Android market, and itunes have 30% useless apps, doesn't always mean they have more app's......

Does WP and Microsoft have a long way to travel? Hell yes.
Does Apple and Google have a long way to travel? Hell yes.

No one is perfect, no one is better.......because its all in the USER experience dictated by the user. The toss of that coin is people like you who just hold the phone like a hot potato and go wha what? what? wah? what does I do wif dis? omgerz its just not like what im used to and its just waaaaaaaaaah

Instead of adapting you expect it to be the same as everything else you know.

IE; Everyone who hates on Windows8......

Also, wtf@ downloading an app for 30 minutes???:confused::confused:
Where do you live? The north pole? No wonder you don't like the phone.......cause it sounds like your carrier is the issue.

Need me to break your post down anymore?

Sorry but your are still wrong.

>>Your complaints are quite amusing to say the least. WP8 in a nutshell is a customizable iphone really. No live wallpapers, no "ricer" styling etc etc.....

Sorry but the fugliness of WP is just that. You can't tell me or any one else they are wrong for disliking it.

>>E-mail app's suck for exchange? How so.....I have 2 exchange and 4 gmail accounts now on my phone and I would enjoy hearing how they suck since they work for me?:confused:

It does suck and very badly. If you have close to 100 folder in just one account WP Email is awful. Just to sync those folder your need to click the folder then click sync both IOS and Android just have a single checkmark so Android is a 100 clicks but WP is 200. So yes it sucks donkey dicks. No Notes Sync which both IOS and Android has. Also android has 3rd party emails and WP doesn't. If you have Active sync policy that disables part of the phone like the camera on Android if your using a 3rd party app for email it only locks the app and not the actual phone. I have 30+ accounts some are heavily restricted and 3rd party apps don't cripple the phone. Once you use Touchdown and go back to using stock email apps it just sucks.

>>You complain of the colors of the tiles and the background? Would you really want another color for the background minus a dark and light background? What color do you really want your tiles? Sure there are some monochrome colors.....but there are also highly contrasted colors as well.

Yes I would welcome more colors this minimalist look blend and fugly. High Color contrast colors great so my retina are burned in some more? There is so much disconnection in the themes of Tiles its just Fucking ugly. Some monochrome some full colors it just looks like color vomit.

>>You want to kill apps? Hey, this isn't iphone or droid man......once you open another app you already "killed" the other apps......and it only keeps a few sessions opened at once anyway.

Actually it doesn't you are wrong. You need to press and hold the arrow button and it will show you what's running in the background. In Windows 8 you drag a metro app from top to bottom to close the app but not WP. I thought they wanted convergence so how come the Closing gesture on WP and 8 are different?

Also have you ever multitasked on the Iphone and Android because you are wrong about both of them. Sounds like you never used either.

>>You can tell that all the app's are not open because battery life on WP > any other.

The battery life was ok better them some other phones but not better them my Nexus that runs hell of a lot more then this thing did. The battery was also good because I kept closing apps and played around keeping apps from running in the background.

>>I can RDP just fine?????:confused:

Not with out a 3rd party app and not if you use a Gateway. Something that MS has part of its core products they don't include on their phone by default? They included Office but not RDS? Then they go and release it on Android and IOS but not their own platform?

As for the groupings it sucked I exaturated on the time but you do need an app and spend quite some time at least 5 minutes to do something that's default on the Android and IOS that's no longer then a second.

Yes there are some nice things about the phone but it feels unfinished and unpolished, its not an ok device if you are not as needy as I am, if you have simpler less demanding needs.

The app store is still lame and not much there, hell even the sponsored apps have blank placeholder MS boxes. Sad really.

WP feels like a bike with training wheels except you can't take of the training wheels ever.

I just got a Nokia Lumia 521 for cheap, and for what I paid its a DAMN good phone. In terms of performance and responsiveness it beats the hell out of the HTC One V I was using before. All the apps I absolutely need are available on WP8 (or have equivalents, like HERE Maps instead of Google Maps). In addition, the Lumia 521 is the cheapest phone you can get that uses a Snapdragon S4 SoC as far as I know, which is a big reason I decided to give WP8 a chance. I've only been using it for 2 days, but so far I'm liking the experience.

i would get an s3,or i phone 4s,5. Did you think about the new blackberry z10? it good. i had a blackberry before my i phone.

If WP still turns off GPS when the screen turns off, it's useless for running. I switched from WP7.5 and 7.8 to Android during the summer. When everyone is watching March Madness on their phones but you can't because WP didn't get the app, you will rue the day you went WP.

Sorry but your are still wrong.

>>Your complaints are quite amusing to say the least. WP8 in a nutshell is a customizable iphone really. No live wallpapers, no "ricer" styling etc etc.....

Sorry but the fugliness of WP is just that. You can't tell me or any one else they are wrong for disliking it.

>>E-mail app's suck for exchange? How so.....I have 2 exchange and 4 gmail accounts now on my phone and I would enjoy hearing how they suck since they work for me?:confused:

It does suck and very badly. If you have close to 100 folder in just one account WP Email is awful. Just to sync those folder your need to click the folder then click sync both IOS and Android just have a single checkmark so Android is a 100 clicks but WP is 200. So yes it sucks donkey dicks. No Notes Sync which both IOS and Android has. Also android has 3rd party emails and WP doesn't. If you have Active sync policy that disables part of the phone like the camera on Android if your using a 3rd party app for email it only locks the app and not the actual phone. I have 30+ accounts some are heavily restricted and 3rd party apps don't cripple the phone. Once you use Touchdown and go back to using stock email apps it just sucks.

>>You complain of the colors of the tiles and the background? Would you really want another color for the background minus a dark and light background? What color do you really want your tiles? Sure there are some monochrome colors.....but there are also highly contrasted colors as well.

Yes I would welcome more colors this minimalist look blend and fugly. High Color contrast colors great so my retina are burned in some more? There is so much disconnection in the themes of Tiles its just Fucking ugly. Some monochrome some full colors it just looks like color vomit.

>>You want to kill apps? Hey, this isn't iphone or droid man......once you open another app you already "killed" the other apps......and it only keeps a few sessions opened at once anyway.

Actually it doesn't you are wrong. You need to press and hold the arrow button and it will show you what's running in the background. In Windows 8 you drag a metro app from top to bottom to close the app but not WP. I thought they wanted convergence so how come the Closing gesture on WP and 8 are different?

Also have you ever multitasked on the Iphone and Android because you are wrong about both of them. Sounds like you never used either.

>>You can tell that all the app's are not open because battery life on WP > any other.

The battery life was ok better them some other phones but not better them my Nexus that runs hell of a lot more then this thing did. The battery was also good because I kept closing apps and played around keeping apps from running in the background.

>>I can RDP just fine?????:confused:

Not with out a 3rd party app and not if you use a Gateway. Something that MS has part of its core products they don't include on their phone by default? They included Office but not RDS? Then they go and release it on Android and IOS but not their own platform?

As for the groupings it sucked I exaturated on the time but you do need an app and spend quite some time at least 5 minutes to do something that's default on the Android and IOS that's no longer then a second.

Yes there are some nice things about the phone but it feels unfinished and unpolished, its not an ok device if you are not as needy as I am, if you have simpler less demanding needs.

The app store is still lame and not much there, hell even the sponsored apps have blank placeholder MS boxes. Sad really.

WP feels like a bike with training wheels except you can't take of the training wheels ever.

No, the app is still not "running in the background" The way that the OS is optimized, it "freezes" the app, it uses no extra battery, nor processing power to run those app's that you see when you press-n-hold the back button, so once again you're wrong.

I have owned an Iphone 4s, Droid 1, 2, x, x2......for reference to my statements.

You're not needy, you're just so accustom to whatever it is you used before that you have this placebo effect that states if its not like what I had before I am going to whine and complain to have to get used to this new fangled device :( wuwu T__T wah wah

And once again, I have never had to manually sync any e-mails, or folders. All are instant push. No 3rd party.....just logged into each account.

And my HTC radar that is now 2 years old, gets me roughly a day and a half of battery life. Given, I have work phones as well.

if you buy the phone outright and you meet the following, you can call t-mobile to request the unlock code. They will ask for your e-mail address and then mail you the code and instructions specific to your phone. You will need a forgien (read non T-mobile) sim to unlock the device.

1. Customer account in Good standing...ie not late and not past due
2. service for 3 months or more

I just bought the Nokia Lumia 521 for my wife as her Nokia Lumia 900 battery life is getting to be less than 1 day and the phone randomly activates voice commands while she is in a call.... Thankfully her stuff will be restored when she signs into her new phone during the setup process.

WP will not play flash based video... you will need to get an app for that....if the website runs in HTML 5 and uses that video format it works just fine.

When I switched carriers I picked up a lumia 822 off of fleabay for cheap. It was a really nice phone and WP8 is rock solid stable. Way way smoother experience than any android phone I've ever owned even though hardware wise it's specced way below my Galaxy S4.

The main beef I had was lack of true google support. I use google talk/hangouts all day long to chat and there just was no good 3rd party app that replaces how smooth the official app works.

I dunno why Google hates MS so much considering I thought I saw an interview once where Steve Jobs was bound and determined to crush google/android and now iOS seems to have just as seamless google integration as android phones do. There is always some heated discussion about not having a real youtube app either. Something about Google was forcing MS to code the app entirely differently compared what google required the other phone OSs to do.

App wise there was plenty on the WP8 market place so satisfy my needs. Still nowhere near what google/ios has. And there are some major apps missing (nothing I use) but still why wouldn't MS have instagram and such?? I heard they are working on it, but geeze, how hard is it really to port an app to WP8...

I kind of had the same feelings with WP8 as I did with the XBOX 360 experience online. MS has all these neat ideas and "channels" to see movie trailers and gaming news, etc. But it's rarely updated and mostly empty. It's like they devote all this time to making stuff, but never any time to keeping it updated and packed with stuff. It's like cool you have a spot where I can see movie trailers, now how about you actually keep it up to date instead of having trailers for movies that came out 5 years ago...

Last edited:
Back