fixes for windows 10

So you made the mistake of installing the programs to 'program files' folder. Make a new folder and install your stuff there, no shield.

There's nothing wrong with installing apps to Program Files. In fact, that's what you're supposed to do. Older apps were unaware of the ProgramData folder. Anything usable these days is aware and will put files where they need to be. You shouldn't get a UAC prompt after first run. If you are, the app is most likely old, crap or malware. There are very few apps that legitimately require escalated privileges.

It's far simplier just to install outside of program files and you won't have to worry whether or not the software is 'aware' of ProgramData folders or not.

First things I did with windows 10 was shut off all the annoying security crap.

Turn of smartscreen and UAC
Go into control userpasswords2 to automatically log in without a password
administative tools - > local security policies - > Disable Administrator Permission

I have not figured out how to get adobe flash working with firefox. It only works with IE.

Have not figured out how to share folders with OSX. Previously I gave read/write permission to guest but win10 doesn't seem to allow this.

Does anyone else have some tips to make win10 more usable?

Are you, perchance, a system administrator for Sony?

It's far simplier just to install outside of program files and you won't have to worry whether or not the software is 'aware' of ProgramData folders or not.

No it's not. You're manually changing locations and that gets you nothing in return.

Would anyone recommend upgrading from Windows 7?

Welcome trasher: Not for your daily work. Too many things don't work right in Windows 10 yet. You could dual boot and test it or put it on an extra machine or hard drive. For example, W10 breaks all the Creative audio drivers and they have to be reinstalled with each reboot--a pain. None of the rest of the Creative software works at all but the audio will work after the reinstall. You can join up with the Windows Insider program and read about all the problems and changes or get a copy of Windows 10 to try out. For general playing around, Window 10 works pretty good but don't trust it for anything important. It is very much in the experimental phase just now. I have dual boot with W7 and W10.

Oh did you just miss everything that was posted so far?

I think you did. Multiple people told him that UAC prompts don't happen any more after you install. They just don't. Very very few apps do and as I said, those are mostly old, crap or malware apps. Installing to non-default directories adds extra work on yourself and doesn't gain you any advantage.

Welcome trasher: Not for your daily work. Too many things don't work right in Windows 10 yet. You could dual boot and test it or put it on an extra machine or hard drive. For example, W10 breaks all the Creative audio drivers and they have to be reinstalled with each reboot--a pain. None of the rest of the Creative software works at all but the audio will work after the reinstall. You can join up with the Windows Insider program and read about all the problems and changes or get a copy of Windows 10 to try out. For general playing around, Window 10 works pretty good but don't trust it for anything important. It is very much in the experimental phase just now. I have dual boot with W7 and W10.

Agreed. Definitely not for your daily work. It's close but not quite there yet.

I think you did. Multiple people told him that UAC prompts don't happen any more after you install. They just don't. Very very few apps do and as I said, those are mostly old, crap or malware apps. Installing to non-default directories adds extra work on yourself and doesn't gain you any advantage.

Not all users use only new apps. Simplest is to avoid the MS bs and avoid program files. There's no advantage in installing to program files either, only the risk of having to reinstall to some other location in the end anyway.

Not all users use only new apps. Simplest is to avoid the MS bs and avoid program files. There's no advantage in installing to program files either, only the risk of having to reinstall to some other location in the end anyway.

What are you talking about? What are you trying to run that's not an application?

Wanted to add I installed 10 on a 8 year old computer still rocking a 8800gts which is no longer supported, 340 was the last driver.

Somehow 10 found a driver that does not even exist on Nvidia's website, 341.35 when it was sweeping for updates.

Installed it and no issues.

Surprised by this.

One odd glitch, using a Marvell SataIII controller card for my SSD to host windows 10 but the card does not show up under my devices.

It's clearly working or I would not be typing right now.

It shows up in bios though, just not under 10 so I can't check what the driver is or update it.
Weird.

Security by obscurity.

Works for me. I haven't had to worry about malware or infections for years and I haven't exactly been strict with the websites I've visited.

I find it funny to see the people who list malware this combofix that in huge lists and still get frequently in trouble :D

Back