First experience with DD-WRT

Private_Ops

[H]ard|Gawd
Flashed a WRT54G2 v1 with dd-wrt micro.

Bit of a funky process to flash it but, it was totally worth it.

I'm finding the options within the firmware to be vast compared to the stock one that was on it.

Is there any thing special I should do with it? I already boosted the signal output.

The house I live really seems to kill wireless signals. I never had a problem using wireless in other places, but just going upstairs one floor seems to make my signal unreliable. I had a D-Link WBR-2310 54G router as my main unit, with a Trendnet 54G wireless NIC on my desktop. I had my WRT54Gv8 equipped with DD-WRT sitting spare so I set up the router as a wireless bridge. Now, I have no problems with wireless (the routers can connect better than the NIC to the router), and I don't have to worry about Trendnet drivers any more. Just use the built-in switch on the Linksys and I'm good to go.

There are lots of cool things you can do with any network. Read more on the topic, and get creative.

Is there any thing special I should do with it? I already boosted the signal output.

Don't boost the output past 84...ends up getting more errors, sort of like when you turn up the volume on a cheap radio too much...gets distorted.

It's good firmware, another good one to try is Tomato. I like Tomato better, it's actually snappier for me.

Don't boost the output past 84...ends up getting more errors, sort of like when you turn up the volume on a cheap radio too much...gets distorted.

It's good firmware, another good one to try is Tomato. I like Tomato better, it's actually snappier for me.

I'm at 100 on both a WRT54G and a WRT54G2. I think it really depends on the routers themselves. Watch the heat output as well. Supposedly they get hotter as you increase the output, but mine are barely warm.

As for more things you can do: you can always use them as wireless repeaters, bridges, and just a plain old switch and the like.

It's not so much the heat, it's that the signal gets sloppy..and you end up with transmission and re-transmission errors. If you're at 100, you probably don't notice much, I've seen people bump it way up to 250 or 251..and they just don't know it...your signal may bump out a few more feet in range, but it will be sloppy. Think of it like running ethernet cable....but it's poorly crimped, or it's been stepped on many times and has a slightly worn spot..it may still work, but you'll be getting some errors.

A lot of articles 'n threads over there have gone over that, 84 seems to be the max...after that, the curve starts to drop.

If you really need a bump in range...best thing to do is invest 20-30 bucks in a nice long pair of high gain rubber duck antennas and replace those short stubbies it came with.

I have it sittin at 125, I checked and I only have 1 error, but I'll back it down anyway since the my signal quality seems to have gotten a boost anyway just with the new firmware.

It's not so much the heat, it's that the signal gets sloppy..and you end up with transmission and re-transmission errors. If you're at 100, you probably don't notice much, I've seen people bump it way up to 250 or 251..and they just don't know it...your signal may bump out a few more feet in range, but it will be sloppy. Think of it like running ethernet cable....but it's poorly crimped, or it's been stepped on many times and has a slightly worn spot..it may still work, but you'll be getting some errors.

A lot of articles 'n threads over there have gone over that, 84 seems to be the max...after that, the curve starts to drop.

If you really need a bump in range...best thing to do is invest 20-30 bucks in a nice long pair of high gain rubber duck antennas and replace those short stubbies it came with.

I have it sittin at 125, I checked and I only have 1 error, but I'll back it down anyway since the my signal quality seems to have gotten a boost anyway just with the new firmware.
Hmm, interesting. I didn't know that. How do you check for errors?

My WRT54G has a high gain antenna for one of them (an old one I bought for my DI-524, which was shit btw), but a regular one for the 2nd.

Yea, in my experience going above 84 just lead to more sporadic transfer rates.

Also, Tomato is much nicer. Check it out.

don't mean to hijack, but anybody have experience with these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320026

?

seem to be nearly half the price as the linux model WRT... about to buy a couple but dunno if it's worth the extra dough for the wrt54gl

I've been running the WL-520gU ($20 AR) for about 6 months now as my main router. I upgraded from a Buffalo WHR-G54S to run a print server for a USB printer. I've had no issues with it whatsoever.

P.S. I personally hold a grudge against Linksys for causing me lots of difficulty with some NICs under Linux years ago, so I generally try to avoid their stuff.

Back