Firmware Version 04.04V04 for WD VelociRaptor WD1600HLFS-75G6U1

patryk86s

n00b
Hi,

I am looking for firmware Version 04.04V04 for my WD VelociRaptor WD1600HLFS-75G6U1
I’ve got 2 identical drives and 1 of them has version 04.04V03, and the other 04.04V04.
I’ve been trying to find it everywhere including other forums and Dell / HP websites as they also used it (Optiplex 780)

Please don’t ask me why or advice not to do it as it works.
I could tell you an excuse about the bug in the firmware that causes TLER to fail it’s counter if run for over 49 days straight but the truth is I just want do it for my OCD to be happy :)

The standard WD software like Dashboard or WD Universal Firmware Updater 4.0.1.4 claims that the firmware is already the latest on both drives.
Is there a way to extract the newer firmware?

Many thanks.
20240123_205003.jpg

Can't help you with the firmware (sorry), but this brought back really great memories of the RAID-0 74GB Raptors I used to run in the pre-SSD days... good times with those 10K rpm screamers :D

First, you should probably email WD and see if they'll hook you up. Probably won't but doesn't hurt to ask.

From a quick look around, I don't see anything to do this unless you're going to pay for a data recovery toolkit. Maybe if you sniff around xbox 360 hard drive hacking, there's some pointers, but I dunno if that will let you do what you want.

Also, you'll shoot your eye out.

Back