Firefox 4 hogging memory

seancky2

Limp Gawd
Anyone else having problem with FF4 using a bunch of memory. With about 10 tabs open, after a full day of use the memory usage gets up to about 1.2 gigs worth!

I did some googling and found some people claiming it could do with ad block plus. So I just now disabled it and waiting to see what happens.

Was just wondering if anyone is having similar issues? And if so, are you using ad block plus?

I really dont want to switch to chrome!

EDIT: seems like a new version was recently released (1.3.6) and supposedly fixes this problem!

Last edited:
It's not just FF4. For at least a year, longer I'm sure, FF has had a memory leak. I remember hearing it was supposed to be fixed a few times, but it never has been.

Anyone else having problem with FF4 using a bunch of memory. With about 10 tabs open, after a full day of use the memory usage gets up to about 1.2 gigs worth!

I did some googling and found some people claiming it could do with ad block plus. So I just now disabled it and waiting to see what happens.

Was just wondering if anyone is having similar issues? And if so, are you using ad block plus?

I really dont want to switch to chrome!

EDIT: seems like a new version was recently released (1.3.6) and supposedly fixes this problem!
Goodluck with that, Chrome uses at least as much if not more than FF.

The multi instancing stuff for redundancy to prevent crashes that chrome does tab wide, and FF does for plugins eats a lot. Combined with that fact that they are both sandboxed mini OS's running apps and all kinds of crazy third party stuff... they are evolving into very complex platforms.

Back