File server and what else...

2k3eblade

Gawd
I am trying to cut back the electricity bill and found that the home nas/print server hasn't been getting much use. Before I decide to decommission the server I would like to get some input on what else I can use it for. I already installed some vm's using virtual pc and hooked it up to seti@home to use what little processing power my old p4 3ghz can muster (I find that is using up more electricity than it is worth). I am thinking I should try to get the pxe boot working on the nic and remote start it when I need it. Anyone have any ideas?

I recently moved my WHS box to an atom board.

I had my untangle box virtualized, but i moved to win2k8 r2 & hyper-v and it can't seem to use the modem-facing nic correctly:(

Take a look at the atom boards, the atom 330 is something like 10 or 12w total.

Recently I too have had to cut back on the amount of electricity I use. I found that consolidating all of my servers I had running into one machine using vmware was the best answer for me

you want to cut back on your power bill yet you installed seti?

if it isnt getting much use now, why make up things for it to do you werent doing already with it.

Sell it.

I recently moved my WHS box to an atom board.

I had my untangle box virtualized, but i moved to win2k8 r2 & hyper-v and it can't seem to use the modem-facing nic correctly:(

Take a look at the atom boards, the atom 330 is something like 10 or 12w total.

This sounds like the best route to me. I'll look for a micro atx atom board later. Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153144

This is the unit I am using. Everything onboard not needed is disabled. Added an intel giganic, 8 port controller card, and like 10 drives.

Not the lightest on power, but better then before. Plan is to replace all of the drives with green's eventually.

Yeah, I just wish they'd put the 945GSE northbridge on boards like that, you'd be able to knock off 5-10w right there compared to the 945GC northbridges. Unfortunately they've designated that as the netbook product and only a very few mini-itx boards with the GSE made it out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153144

This is the unit I am using. Everything onboard not needed is disabled. Added an intel giganic, 8 port controller card, and like 10 drives.

Not the lightest on power, but better then before. Plan is to replace all of the drives with green's eventually.

I was just looking at that particular board because it had 2 pci slots instead of the usual 1 of the mini itx boards.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back