FBI Offers Record $3M Reward For Russian Hacker

HardOCP News

[H] News
The FBI is offering a $3 million reward for an alleged hacker? Damn! His own mom would turn him in for that kind of money. :eek:

Evgeniy Mikhailovich Bogachev is accused of being the mastermind behind the GameOver Zeus botnet, which was used by cybercriminals to steal more than $100 million from businesses and consumers since 2011. A 14-count indictment unsealed last year charged Bogachev, 31, with conspiracy, computer hacking, wire fraud, bank fraud and money laundering.

He lives in a country where legal resources are focused on controlling dissidents and minorities. I'm betting this one goes uncollected if he's still in Russia.

He lives in a country where legal resources are focused on controlling dissidents and minorities. I'm betting this one goes uncollected if he's still in Russia.

Still having this kind of price on your head means you have to be careful above moving around and being seen.

Honestly the accusations sound like something very complicated for 'one guy' to do.
He sounds like a freaking computer virus savant, I don't know, could be the scape goat.
I thought NK was the one on the hot list, oh wait, Ukraine, so now Russia, of course!

Most of these guys have positions in the Russian government. It's going to be tough to get him out of there.

This guy made people millionaires. If this guy is still making new stuff for them to make money, do you really think they would let anything happen to him?

His stock is only going to increase as the sanctions against the Russian economy tightens.

His stock is only going to increase as the sanctions against the Russian economy tightens.

I am not so sure our 'sanctions' will have the effects we want long term.
They seem to have learn a lot, corrupted they might be, they are open for business, and are not as of yet overly aggressive. By not being so bellicose, but being involved long term US-style I think they will be able to make plenty of business (as it they won't scare away countries), and they do have plenty to sell, a lot to rebuild and improve, little debt by US standards and a bit of reserves.
Dmitry Medvedev is not stupid by mile, nor is Putin even if we try to make 'fun' of him.. both are moderates. Harder line russians in the government could speed-up economic movement, but also might speed-up real wars (we don't really want that)
I think Russia, yeah might be in a fine line because we keep screwing with their economic system, but they as a country have some real fundamentals there that can be greatly exploited and could re-surge tremendously.

FBI is only offering 3 million for this foreign thief and 100 million is missing. Yet, Enron's CEO(s) Kenneth L. Lay and Jeffrey K. Skilling didn't have to pay back the $74 Billion stolen from Shareholders. Go figure... a Judge removed 10 years from Skilling's 24 year sentence. :eek:

The 10 worst corporate accounting scandals of all time...

http://www.accounting-degree.org/scandals/

FBI is only offering 3 million for this foreign thief and 100 million is missing. Yet, Enron's CEO(s) Kenneth L. Lay and Jeffrey K. Skilling didn't have to pay back the $74 Billion stolen from Shareholders. Go figure... a Judge removed 10 years from Skilling's 24 year sentence. :eek:

The 10 worst corporate accounting scandals of all time...

http://www.accounting-degree.org/scandals/

The problem with all those claims is firstly that the money wasn't stolen from shareholders and instead they thought their stock value was $74 billion when in fact it was tanking.

Don't get me wrong, there was a ton of fraud going on, which promoted people buying the worthless stock for a ton of cash. Sort of a Beanie babies on an massive scale.

Sorry forgot to add....

There was a ton of money lost, but everyone always uses the false and inflated value of the company for what was lost, but it was never truely that value.

If you buy $10,000 in stock at $50 a share and then the price jumps to $500 a share, based on the truth or a lie, it doesn't matter, before crashing and becoming worthless, you didn't loose $100k, you only lost the $10k you initially put in.

This guy made people millionaires. If this guy is still making new stuff for them to make money, do you really think they would let anything happen to him?

maybe send brad pitt to get him

Back