Fans for MCR-320-QP

mwarps

Supreme [H]ardness
I spent a little time with the search function, but I was unable to locate anything that specifically addressed my question, so here we go.

I am upgrading the old watercooling setup (BI Pro II, eheim 1250, apogee on 3/8ID).

I have decided on a MCP655 pump, keeping the apogee, and probably going to 1/2 ID. Also, T-line, fillport and purgeport.

I am pretty much sold on the MCR-320-QP. My only problem is, which fans do I get. I'm looking for decent cooling, but I need as quiet as possible. I realise I will probably see 40s idle temps with this setup, and that doesn't bother me at all.

Yate Loons look good, and the new Scythe S-Flex D fans also look good. I will be running 6 in push/pull. These are going to be run through a rheostat for speed control. I guess basically, are the S-Flex fans worth the near 4x price premium over the Yate Loons? The Loons have a 20,000 hour rated life (2 years or so) while the S-Flex ones have a 150,000 hour rated life.

This will be cooling an E6600 or a Q6600 come May. Possibly also an 8800GTX. Case is a Lian Li PC-75. Intake will be 6x 80mm Panaflo L's, radiator will be top exhaust.

Get 7 Yate loons from Jab-Tech and run 2 on each side at 5v. That's about 30$ shipped.

(Get an extra one because 8% have bearing noise from my personal testing: 24/300 were very loud)

Sflexes are a BIT quieter than the yates, although speedfan reported them spinning about 75rpm slower than the yates... So that could be why.

Oiling the inside of a yate produces amazing results...

For hard numbers, from 1ft away 4 yates at 7v run me back 23dba. (that's about 26dba with my 3 500rpm side fans and 800rpm intake). Have any idea how quiet that is? :p

When you say oiling the Yate, do you mean removing the blade hub, or just sticking a tube inside a hole and lubing it up?

When you say oiling the Yate, do you mean removing the blade hub, or just sticking a tube inside a hole and lubing it up?

I mean taking the blade hub and adding 2 drops of oil on the inside magnet, and 1 drop right on the shaft.

I mean taking the blade hub and adding 2 drops of oil on the inside magnet, and 1 drop right on the shaft.

Looks like your on to something, but do you have any pics (have 2 of these fans)?

So, doing this should make the fan spin smoother and relieve whining?

Back