Fallout 4 Beta Using Gameworks Technolgy

Yes load times do seem to be strongly related to the max fps the system can achieve.
But I dont like my GPU running at 100% all the time and there are some game issues when running above 60fps.

I used msi afterburner to cap my framerate at 60, disabled in game vsync and changed ipresentinterval to 0.
If there is a better solution, I'm all ears!

Great explanation though I have no idea why you would disable vsync and then use a third party app to set 60fps as your max frame rate unless your monitor defaults to a higher refresh rate and you want to keep it lower so the game engine doesn't freak out, is that the idea?

If so I can see how this might be a solution except I am not sure how the video card handles displaying frames at 60fps to a monitor that's running at a higher refresh rate, say 75hz.

Maybe you can enlighten :D

Great explanation though I have no idea why you would disable vsync and then use a third party app to set 60fps as your max frame rate unless your monitor defaults to a higher refresh rate and you want to keep it lower so the game engine doesn't freak out, is that the idea?

If so I can see how this might be a solution except I am not sure how the video card handles displaying frames at 60fps to a monitor that's running at a higher refresh rate, say 75hz.

Vsync < frame limiting. Vsync locks your frame rate to a multiple of the refresh rate. So say you have a 60Hz monitor. If you dip below 60fps, it automatically drops it to 45fps. Then 30, 15, 7.5, etc... The frame limiter simply caps the rate at 60, and allows infinite possibility between zero and 60fps without regard to the struggle of the video card. Not to mention, sync introduces input lag.

I had to manually disable vsync in the INI, turn it on in the nvidiaCP and use riva tuner to limit my FPS to 60 to get FO4 running above 30fps. You need to turn on a frame limiting with higher refresh rates, AFAIK, because it will cause the physics to go nuts. For some reason its tired directly to the the games FPS.

IIRC, skyrim was the same way (about the higher frame rates at least)

Back