Facebook Now Shares Your Browsing History With Advertisers

It's still good for older family members. Let's face it - technology isn't their friend. But they can facebook. I keep it for that, but rarely use it otherwise.

Honestly, my favorite social communication method with friends is still the old school way. Big chain emails of stupidity that never seem to end :)
You consider email chains "old school" social communication compared to I dunno, talking on the phone or even *gasp* meeting in person? ;)

No shit, however he said he doesn't hire people he can't find anything on. That's scumbag no matter how I look at it.

Think of it like this; by having a presence on the internet you already have an edge up on the people who dont. I am able to learn more about you than the guy I interviewed for 60 minutes. You have basically added an extra 30 minutes worth of content to the review process that someone else doesnt have.

Plus I always get a douchey vibe from people who are all like "fuck facebook man, the NSA has enough shit on me, nothing but selfies and ducklips, bunch of emo fags taking pictures of their food, I wont be a part of that". When instead you could be selling yourself with pictures of you sailing, flying, mountain climbing, whatever. Something that makes you look good and outgoing. It's like a free webpage advertising yourself.

Think of it like this; by having a presence on the internet you already have an edge up on the people who dont. I am able to learn more about you than the guy I interviewed for 60 minutes. You have basically added an extra 30 minutes worth of content to the review process that someone else doesnt have.

Plus I always get a douchey vibe from people who are all like "fuck facebook man, the NSA has enough shit on me, nothing but selfies and ducklips, bunch of emo fags taking pictures of their food, I wont be a part of that". When instead you could be selling yourself with pictures of you sailing, flying, mountain climbing, whatever. Something that makes you look good and outgoing. It's like a free webpage advertising yourself.

So basically, you're upset at and feel threatened by people who don't use Facebook and prefer to employ people who you think share the same personal attributes live being conceited, vain, and arrogant or are just easily pushed into doing something like signing up for a Facebook account because they exercise little to no independent thinking or free will. And you also feel you're a lousy interviewer who doesn't have the social skills to determine a person's suitability in a position during a 60 minute interview...either that or it's too much work to interview someone in person and it's easier just to look at the slanted, false image they present to the Internet. Cool!

I keep a facebook page just to keep a presence on the internet. I often Google information on prospective new hires for my company, and if I dont find anything on them because they are effective off the grid, I get suspicious. In fact I probably dont hire them.

I guess you wouldn't hire me then... whatever.

I just googled myself and came up with absolutely nothing except the top one which was for facebook. I am only on there maybe once a month at most and everything on there is so out of date it doesn't matter anyway.

So basically, you're upset at and feel threatened by people who don't use Facebook and prefer to employ people who you think share the same personal attributes live being conceited, vain, and arrogant or are just easily pushed into doing something like signing up for a Facebook account because they exercise little to no independent thinking or free will. And you also feel you're a lousy interviewer who doesn't have the social skills to determine a person's suitability in a position during a 60 minute interview...either that or it's too much work to interview someone in person and it's easier just to look at the slanted, false image they present to the Internet. Cool!

+1 Internets to you.

If the company I am interviewing for bases hiring me off of stuff they find on the web about me, it is not a good fit and their company will eventually DIAF because of stupid practices such as that.

Or, more specifically, "I want to hire social and outgoing people, and I want to ensure our company does not hire any antisocial or introverted people"

Which, yeah, is just common sense for business positions.

Upset? Threatened? Quit projecting. Why would I be upset at someone who I dont hire? It has nothing to do with vanity. Your facebook page could consist of your photojournalism efforts, or do nothing but link to articles about science, or full kittens. Or it could be you playing beer pong while holding a novelty 3 foot joint in your hand wearing a purple fuzzy top hat.

And I'm not saying I absolutely disregard everyone who doesnt have a facebook page. LinkedIn often turns up potential winners. If you're 40 then I dont expect much because you're probably not interwebz savvy. But if you're 26 and a complete ghost to the world, well I'm probably going to spend more time looking at those whom I can research better. Of course I dont feel confident that 1 hour spent with someone is enough to judge their character entirely. You'd be stupid and unrealistic to think that it could, hence the reason of giving yourself an edge against the competition.

You know that asshole at work that nobody likes? How do you think he got the job? He probably wasnt an asshole in the interview, and if he was, he probably would not have got the job. It takes months to truly vet someone and know for sure whether you're happy you hired them or not. Just consider things like facebook as another tool to assist you. Your arguments against vanity are tantamount to refusing to submit a resume because how dare you brag about your accomplishments.

I have a simple answer. I check Facebook in my browser, then close it out completely and open a new browser instance before doing anything else. I don't do tabbed browsing while in Facebook. Unless I'm stupid and Facebook can track what you are doing on the Internet without you being logged in to Facebook...

Or, more specifically, "I want to hire social and outgoing people, and I want to ensure our company does not hire any antisocial or introverted people"

Which, yeah, is just common sense for business positions.

The presence of a Facebook account has nothing at all to do with how outgoing or effective someone is at interacting with others, working effectively in a team setting, or manipulating customers into landing a sale. To think otherwise is a folly of those with Facebook accounts seeking out others of like minded mental dysfunction in order to subconsciously perpetuate and sustain a web-based interaction model that is already dying of old age just like it's blue-haired, geriatric community of users.

And I'm not saying I absolutely disregard everyone who doesnt have a facebook page.

Oh? You have a very selective or possibly short memory. Here's some help:

I keep a facebook page just to keep a presence on the internet. I often Google information on prospective new hires for my company, and if I dont find anything on them because they are effective off the grid, I get suspicious. In fact I probably dont hire them.

:p

LinkedIn often turns up potential winners. If you're 40 then I dont expect much because you're probably not interwebz savvy. But if you're 26 and a complete ghost to the world, well I'm probably going to spend more time looking at those whom I can research better. Of course I dont feel confident that 1 hour spent with someone is enough to judge their character entirely. You'd be stupid and unrealistic to think that it could, hence the reason of giving yourself an edge against the competition.

So people who are 26 have to have Facebook, but 40 year olds don't yet you probably don't hire someone without a presence on Facebook? You're sort of inconsistent and possibly attempting to discriminate based on age in a roundabout way despite the fact that you've failed to notice that, outside the Facebook bubble, younger and smarter people are generally not involved in social networking.

You know that asshole at work that nobody likes? How do you think he got the job? He probably wasnt an asshole in the interview, and if he was, he probably would not have got the job. It takes months to truly vet someone and know for sure whether you're happy you hired them or not. Just consider things like facebook as another tool to assist you. Your arguments against vanity are tantamount to refusing to submit a resume because how dare you brag about your accomplishments.

If it takes months to vet someone and understand them, how does the facade they put up for the public's eye help you understand them? There's certainly one thing that every adult should have learned about the Internet by now and that's that no one knows if you're a dog (or if you're faking an image). If you really do take that long to figure someone out, then looking at Facebook or some other social networking site probably won't help, which again highlights how inconsistent and utterly clueless you are about the process of hiring and retaining employees. I suspect, that since anyone can be anything at all they want to pretend to be on this forum, that you're not at all involved in any hiring process and haven't got those sorts of responsibilities nor could you effectively handle them if you had them.

Pretty crazy day when I totally agree with Creepy. Yet I agree 100%. McFry, you seemed illogical as it gets. Just the fact someone needsto have a FB account to be considered (in your opinion) for any position in a company makes me question your managerial ability.

Your company must suck serious ass.

Yeah my wife kind of was annoyed the other day when Facebook threw an ad up for something she was looking at earlier on another site, funny thing is she didn't even log onto facebook until later that day. So yeah apparently Facebook reads your cookies remotely(?)

Pretty crazy day when I totally agree with Creepy. Yet I agree 100%. McFry, you seemed illogical as it gets. Just the fact someone needsto have a FB account to be considered (in your opinion) for any position in a company makes me question your managerial ability.

He did mention LinkedIn, too.

But his position is not unique. Indeed, if you are applying for a job at a Fortune 500 company (or a private company of roughly the same scale), you MUST have an FB profile with at least some public information that puts you in a good light OR a well-maintained LinkedIn profile with good connections and recommendations.

Period.

If you don't, you aren't getting hired.

I understand some of you more luddite types who are afraid of technology might not like that, but that's just the way the world works right now. To be considered for a job at any of the top-tier technology or most-profitable financial/biotech/legal/etc organization...you are going to be required to have a smart and well-presented (but not too sterilized such that it makes you look like a phoney) social media presence. Unless you have friends or family on the inside (which remains the best way to get hired anywhere), it's just a requirement, now. The days of your resume, alone, telling the entire story to your potential employer are quite long over. Ignoring this rather important aspect of social interaction due to some misguided principle is...well, the phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.

Welcome to the 21st century.

But his position is not unique. Indeed, if you are applying for a job at a Fortune 500 company (or a private company of roughly the same scale), you MUST have an FB profile with at least some public information that puts you in a good light OR a well-maintained LinkedIn profile with good connections and recommendations.

Period.

I understand some of you more luddite types who are afraid of technology might not like that, but that's just the way the world works right now. To be considered for a job at any of the top-tier technology or most-profitable financial/biotech/legal/etc organization...you are going to be required to have a smart and well-presented (but not too sterilized such that it makes you look like a phoney) social media presence. Unless you have friends or family on the inside (which remains the best way to get hired anywhere), it's just a requirement, now. The days of your resume, alone, telling the entire story to your potential employer are quite long over. Ignoring this rather important aspect of social interaction due to some misguided principle is...well, the phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.

Dam, so if I sign up for everything I can that makes me more searchable, maybe they will make me the president of the company with all the internet presence!

Dam, so if I sign up for everything I can that makes me more searchable, maybe they will make me the president of the company with all the internet presence!

Obviously not.

But if you have a good social networking presence, are competing for a position with someone who has NO social networking presence, given roughly equal resume-level details (which is a pool of a few hundred people, I assure you)...guess who gets the job?

The slightly more 'known quantity'.

Businesses are interested in the safest possible bet, period. They'd be fools to do otherwise. As noted, the SUREST way into any organization is networking face-to-face...IE., be a close friend of an employee, or family of an employee. That's still (and will always be) the most reliable method of getting into the 2nd/3rd-tier interviews from the get-go. Outside of that...it's your online social networking presence that defines you.

And a vacuum speaks volumes.

I'm not saying you have to throw your whole life out there, folks, but good grief you are shooting yourself in the foot - in this market - to ignore it entirely.

Period.

That's funny, I work for a Fortune 500 and I was hired within the last year without a LinkedIn or Facebook account and the company is very much a tech sector sorta company. In fact, I was hired over the phone and it wasn't for some yawnfest wage slave job either. My cat and I both think that you're wrong.

Yeah I know...maybe the world did end with the solar flare thing on Friday and we don't know it yet, but we're in some weird parallel dimension. :eek:

Oh? You have a very selective or possibly short memory. Here's some help :p
And you apparently have reading comprehension problems. Notice the part where I used the adverb "probably"? Yeah that was no accident. But just consider it like a "keepers pile" and "next to the trash bin pile" when it comes to resumes.

I know I'm kind of wasting my time here arguing with elitists who's blind hatred for Facebook is so strong that they refuse to acknowledge the value of having a public presence on the internet, so I'll leave you with one age old adage; the only bad publicity is no publicity.

I know I'm kind of wasting my time here arguing with elitists who's blind hatred for Facebook is so strong that they refuse to acknowledge the value of having a public presence on the internet, so I'll leave you with one age old adage; the only bad publicity is no publicity.

So by not letting a company blatantly sell my personal information means I don't get the job.

Hey, guy, fuck your job.

And you apparently have reading comprehension problems. Notice the part where I used the adverb "probably"? Yeah that was no accident. But just consider it like a "keepers pile" and "next to the trash bin pile" when it comes to resumes.

"Probably" was just a disclaimer to later give you an escape route when people started to make you look silly since you aren't confidant enough in your claim to even stand by it with any measure of personal resolution. You're not willful enough to express a thought firmly and with conviction so, in order to later hide from the controversy you knew it would create, you inserted a single word with which you could hang onto as means to parachute to safety. So which is it? Do you actually want to continue to claim that you use Facebook as a sorting critera or are you going to keep backpedaling away while hiding behind wishy-washy indecisiveness and so-called words of wisdom in the form of silly quotations?

Well, how is that different than being an elitist who's blind love of Facebook is so strong they refuse to judge a person by any other metric than whether or not they have a Facebook account?

"Probably" was just a disclaimer to later give you an escape route when people started to make you look silly since you aren't confidant enough in your claim to even stand by it with any measure of personal resolution. You're not willful enough to express a thought firmly and with conviction so, in order to later hide from the controversy you knew it would create, you inserted a single word with which you could hang onto as means to parachute to safety. So which is it? Do you actually want to continue to claim that you use Facebook as a sorting critera or are you going to keep backpedaling away while hiding behind wishy-washy indecisiveness and so-called words of wisdom in the form of silly quotations?

Actually I used the word for it's literal intended purpose. You can sit there and try and twist things around all you like to suit your agenda and hide your personal insecurities and throw on your emo glasses about how cool you are for not having a facebook page, but I dont deal in absolutes. Everything is a weighted decision.

Well, how is that different than being an elitist who's blind love of Facebook is so strong they refuse to judge a person by any other metric than whether or not they have a Facebook account?

I never said I love facebook. In fact I said the only reason I even have one is just to serve my own agenda of having a presence on the internet. I dont talk to people on it, I dont make status updates, in fact I rarely update it at all, save for a few pictures from a recent vacation or some such thing just so that people have something to look at should they look me up.

And once again I never said I dont judge people by any other metric other than whether or not they have a facebook account. Sheesh pal you really need to work on your reading comprehension. Although considering you went back and quoted something out of context it sounds more to me like you are just a disingenuous arguer who'll do anything to try and feel right. We'll probably go another 10 pages destroying all of your strawman's, but since thats what you do you would probably enjoy that.

Actually I used the word for it's literal intended purpose. You can sit there and try and twist things around all you like to suit your agenda and hide your personal insecurities and throw on your emo glasses about how cool you are for not having a facebook page, but I dont deal in absolutes. Everything is a weighted decision.

I never said I love facebook. In fact I said the only reason I even have one is just to serve my own agenda of having a presence on the internet. I dont talk to people on it, I dont make status updates, in fact I rarely update it at all, save for a few pictures from a recent vacation or some such thing just so that people have something to look at should they look me up.

And once again I never said I dont judge people by any other metric other than whether or not they have a facebook account. Sheesh pal you really need to work on your reading comprehension. Although considering you went back and quoted something out of context it sounds more to me like you are just a disingenuous arguer who'll do anything to try and feel right. We'll probably go another 10 pages destroying all of your strawman's, but since thats what you do you would probably enjoy that.

I'm surprised so many people don't have any idea what a strawman is or how to properly use it. Aaaaanyway, from the look of things, it did end up being backpedaling, though aggressively, which is kinda interesting. :)

I'm surprised so many people don't have any idea what a strawman is or how to properly use it. Aaaaanyway, from the look of things, it did end up being backpedaling, though aggressively, which is kinda interesting. :)

Straw man argument: A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To 'set up a straw man' or 'set up a straw-man argument' is to create a position that is easy to refute, then attribute that position to the opponent.

This is literally exactly what you did with your entire previous response.

Anyway keep on trollin'.

Straw man argument: A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To 'set up a straw man' or 'set up a straw-man argument' is to create a position that is easy to refute, then attribute that position to the opponent.

This is literally exactly what you did with your entire previous response.

Anyway keep on trollin'.

Nope, I just restated your posts. If anything is being misrepresented, it'd be you doing so to everyone else here to invent some kinda weird, off topic point about how you don't like people who are too intelligent to use Facebook (with a Neighborhood of Make Believe story about you're presenting yourself as an employer of some sort) in a thread about Facebook advertisements. The entire discussion you started was only done so in an attempt to scare people into using social networking sites to be hired for a job posting in order to damage control the new advertising policy.

Back