Facebook Messenger Minus The Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
What do you guys think about this? Would any of you use it?

The Menlo Park, Calif.-based company is in the process of rolling out an updated version of Messenger with all its features (from group chats and video calling to sharing photos and "stickers") available to anyone with a phone number.

I'm already sick and tired of having to use Messenger App + FaceBook App + SMS App + Other SMS Apps.

It was so much easier when it was IRC, ICQ, AIM.

Now there's a million choices, and instead of having a unique phone # you have a unique phone service, a unique #, and then everyone expects you to be on them "all".

As a user of PIDGIN, ADIUM, etc this isn't much of an issue but on your phone it blows to need different apps for messaging.

Most of my Messenger conversations go something like:

Here's my # send me a SMS message messenger sucks.

Either from ME or the other person.

I don't use Messenger now -- I use the web page for PMs on my phone -- so it doesn't affect me at all. I'm still of the opinion that there was no reason to remove PMs from the FB app.

Most of my Messenger conversations go something like:

Here's my # send me a SMS message messenger sucks.

Either from ME or the other person.

Truth! So many of my fb messenger messages have maybe 2 lines and one is a phone number lol

To the guy who mentioned ICQ "UH OH!"

I dont care what they do with the messenger app just allow me to see messages in the FB app again. I still dont understand why they thought that was a good idea.

Minus anything Facebook. Even better.

Yeah, just looking at the amount of permissions requested by facebook apps deters me from installing them. there's not a single facebook app on my phone and i hope it remains this way.
I don't update my fb page anyway, i just open it in the browser now and then to send pm's to some of my friends that are in foreign countries.

I have a lot of contacts...most of my personal ones are restricted to messenger...text/sms is usually someone from work along with my email.

So...I like messenger just the way it is. The video chat has seriously improved lately.

I couldn't care less, I think its kind of disgusting that in the year 2015 we are still playing the shitty proprietary messaging client game. There is not one shitty thing any messaging app can do today that something like MSN couldn't do 15 years ago. Nope actually its the reverse messaging systems today are constantly sucking and having to reinvent the wheel and never seeming to get the point where they are full featured before another clown steps in with a new message client that takes over for some stupid reason that has not one thing to do with being a good messaging client. Face book messaging is big because face book is big, no other reason otherwise it sucks. What is even more sad is how they have managed to do a good job squashing all the multichat clients that used to do decent at solving these problems. Seems like none of them can have good support for many protocols now.

I thought for a split second googles use of jabber was going to free us of this shit mess but I guess I was wrong googles moronic plus push destroyed any hopes of that.

This is actually one of those cases where the US government needs to step in and end this shitfest. A standard like email has to be made for communication. We will all spend the rest of our lives with email as the only standard form of communication if we don't see something change.

Once in a while, the Android FB app glitches and lets me in to view/send messages, including with the call feature, so the fucking code IS STILL THERE and is just disabled.

PS: Trillian ftw.

Once in a while, the Android FB app glitches and lets me in to view/send messages, including with the call feature, so the fucking code IS STILL THERE and is just disabled.

PS: Trillian ftw.

I don't know what they gain, but I do know I'm not downloading it. I'd sooner use Group Me, which can send everything via SMS, which works for me.

Still use Skype. Moved over mainly because Live Messenger was shut down. Messenger was a better chat program.

I don't use my phone unless I have to. Terrible for having a conversation. I also don't have facebook because I have no need for it. Had an account for coupons, but I lost it. Sadly Facebook requires a unique password with 500000 characters, your phone number, two emails, employer's address & bank account, a piss test, three vials of blood, a shit test, and at least three organs donated to create an account or get an old one back.

All for the functionality of a platform circa 1999. Yes, I'll jump right on their limited messenger program.

I'm already sick and tired of having to use Messenger App + FaceBook App + SMS App + Other SMS Apps.

It was so much easier when it was IRC, ICQ, AIM.

Now there's a million choices, and instead of having a unique phone # you have a unique phone service, a unique #, and then everyone expects you to be on them "all".

As a user of PIDGIN, ADIUM, etc this isn't much of an issue but on your phone it blows to need different apps for messaging.
I can't believe I can still remember my ICQ number after all these years. I started using it in '97 or '98. Uh ho!

preferred_chat_system.png

Back