Facebook Interns Make $75k A Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember when being an intern meant getting great experience with low pay / no pay? Apparently that is not the case for Facebook interns. :eek:

Facebook's interns make between $5,600 and $6,300 per month -- the equivalent of $65,000 to $75,000 per year. Are Facebook's interns making too much money? Tech interns are among the highest paid in the U.S..

Jesus Christ! In Australia $75,000 per year equates to $4,900 in the hand per month.

I want to work in the USA :(

I wonder, is that pay coming with any sort of benefits? Is tax being taken out? When I worked as a tech intern I was making decent money, but that came with no benefits and income tax wasn't automatically taken out. I'd also be interested in knowing how many of those interns actually went on to become fulltime employees, and how long they stayed with the company thereafter.

On the downside, working for Facebook means helping to destroy civilization by feeding the drama fueled narcissistic impulses of its billion users.

please note: the above is not an attempt to dissuade you from applying to increase my own application's chances. do you guys think FB would prefer a video resume or should I just stuff my CV with $20s? :D

Considering that FB is probably only hiring people with MS or PHD degrees and they are in competition with other high priced and prestigeous employers (Google, Microsoft, Oracle, Apple, etc) I would say that is about right ... they are most likely courting candidates from the elite schools as well, so if they didn't pay a good market value they wouldn't get the best candidates in house ;)

I made more than that right out of college in 2005 in oil and gas as a map and tech guy.

Too bad the economy crapped out and now I only make like 28.8 after taxes.

75K as an intern? *sigh*

These days in tech, an intern isn't really an intern. If you're doing production work, essentially you're a trial employee. They're just putting prospective employees' teeth to work on the food they're chewing.

Prove your worth... get a salary and benefits.

On the downside, working for Facebook means helping to destroy civilization by feeding the drama fueled narcissistic impulses of its billion users.

please note: the above is not an attempt to dissuade you from applying to increase my own application's chances. do you guys think FB would prefer a video resume or should I just stuff my CV with $20s? :D

+1 If you could up-vote on H, I'd had done it and then another for your handle. :D

These days in tech, an intern isn't really an intern. If you're doing production work, essentially you're a trial employee. They're just putting prospective employees' teeth to work on the food they're chewing.

Prove your worth... get a salary and benefits.

I was about to post to complain, but you make a good point. The definition of one company's "intern" is another company's "90 day trial period" or whatever.

They make that much because they can ask for it. FB is competing with other tech giants in the area. If you want the best you have to offer the best.

How can anyone possibly ask if it is too much? We have CEOs making millions. We have athletes making millions. Not because the actually produce a widgets that can be sold, instead they are making that much because people are willing to pay that much to ensure they can be the employer.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that's not very much money? If that is a high mark, I'm glad I'm not an intern.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that's not very much money? If that is a high mark, I'm glad I'm not an intern.

Depends where you live. And interns aren't supposed to be paid that much, it's intended as a learning experience. It's not a position you spend a career in.

dont worry, uncle sam is getting about 28% of that $5600 before they see it...

Actually closer to 20%... ignoring any non-taxable stuff they do with that like an IRA, and ignoring any standardized deduction they take,, if they're married, any tax credits they may have for whatever purchases they make (I got a rather large one when I bought a Prius in 2006)... etc. So yeah the whole "gobbumint gonna takes all muz money" crying is not exactly true.

This is what I was going to say. Beyond the other points already raised, in Palo Alto 75k is a lot less than many of you think.

And that's why you get off your high horse and live with roommates if you can't afford to live there... once the rent is taken care of the cost of living drops dramatically per person because you get expenses you can negotiate with.. i.e you going out to dinner or are you ramen every other night? Plus nothing says you absolutely HAVE to live in Palo Alto just because you work there, the whole concept of suburb is based on that very premise, you can live in some less favorable areas for much cheaper and are a train or bus ride away.

Actually closer to 20%... ignoring any non-taxable stuff they do with that like an IRA, and ignoring any standardized deduction they take,, if they're married, any tax credits they may have for whatever purchases they make (I got a rather large one when I bought a Prius in 2006)... etc. So yeah the whole "gobbumint gonna takes all muz money" crying is not exactly true.

indeed, federal would be mid/low-twenties (but add in state/local? not really interested in doing these guys taxes). At any rate I was replying to the poster above me who stated his Australian wages are garnered and expressed a desire to get a US job to keep more of his ducketts. not sure what gobbumint crying talk you are tring to point at though.

Other tech internships at the big guys, Apple, Google, Microsoft, or Amazon, pay significantly more. And remember that total comp packages are way higher if they convert you to full time.

Facebook is actually paying less because they have decent appeal to brogrammers, who probably aren't shopping their offers around.

Yeah, so? They're living in heavily urban California, which ain't cheap. I may make half as much in a place like Tennessee, but the money goes much further because the cost of living is much lower. Just like someone in Manhattan who makes 100 grand. Half of that's going to rent, and most of the rest is going to food, drink, cabs, etc.

What the F...I've never made more then half of that in a year busting my ass and I live a decent quality of life....I sure as shit would like to move up the ladder and figure out how to spend that kind of cash though :D

My wife and I together don't make 75K/year, so that'd be a nice shot in the arm for me.

That's pretty typical for tech companies of this caliber. IIRC (this was years ago), AMD paid interns/co-ops that already have a BS degree about $65K annualized. I'm sure it has gone up since then. At this level, you want talent, you have to pay for them.

What the F...I've never made more then half of that in a year busting my ass and I live a decent quality of life....I sure as shit would like to move up the ladder and figure out how to spend that kind of cash though :D

I make somewhere around there, not trying to start a bragging contest, but it all depends on where you live. I have a few family members that make north of 90K, but live in L.A., where that kind of salary is just "OK" at best. I live in New New England though, on the east coast, and it's a pretty tidy sum of money. I think a lot of people freak out over the number, without really considering what the cost of living is in other places. My salary in New York would be right around "lol" with a side of "meh".

Back