EVO vs EVO Shift

[Paragon]

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm eligible for an upgrade and I've had my eye on the EVO for quite some time. My wife has one and it's a pretty sweet phone, however the EVO Shift should be out shortly (Jan 9th) and it has a physical keyboard which I want. The sticking point though is that it appears to have an 800 mhz processor vs the 1 ghz in the EVO.

I'm unsure what kind if any performance hit there will be due to this, seeing as it's a newer more efficient processor. Should I pull the trigger on the evo (99 bucks at the radioshack website) or...wait?

The 800mhz processor has higher performance than the older 1ghz one actually.

Evo is horrible on battery life. I think I am gonna take mine back and get the Shift when it comes out. I think I could deal with a smaller screen to get a keyboard.

Hard keyboards are always nice. You don't make too many mistakes with a keyboard as you do with a touch keyboard. I'll be putting swype on my EVO soon as that is suppose to help out a bunch with texting. Battery life isn't too bad if you remember to carry your charger around. Invest in $5 car charger and extra $5 wall charger and you should be set. The large screen is hella nice though :p

Wait. In 5 days is CES and we will have a bunch of new announcements. Most importantly, dual core phones very soon.

Wait. In 5 days is CES and we will have a bunch of new announcements. Most importantly, dual core phones very soon.

phones will be announced but we probably won't see any for a few months.

i'm in the same boat as you, OP. check out the samsung epic. 4inch screen and keyboard.

phones will be announced but we probably won't see any for a few months.

i'm in the same boat as you, OP. check out the samsung epic. 4inch screen and keyboard.

Yeah, I would just get the Epic. It still has a faster proc and GPU than the shift with a better screen to boot. HTC is just trying to give a (slightly inferior) alternative to the Epic, IMO.

Not that you should worry about proc speen anyways. If you wanted to root it, I'm sure people will have it OC'd to 1 GHz+ anyways. The G2 is stock @ 800 MHz and people have got it stable at 1.5 GHz, lol.. crazy what we're doing with phones today.

I have seen too many friends with Epic's have issues with them. I have one major issue with my Evo. When you set the phone down it rests on the camera lens. I hate that.

I have seen too many friends with Epic's have issues with them. I have one major issue with my Evo. When you set the phone down it rests on the camera lens. I hate that.

What issues have you seen with the Epic? I've had mine for about a month and I don't have any issues.

their phones all have wake up issues. at times the phone won't wake up they have to do a battery pull. 3 separate epics I have see it on. None rooted.

their phones all have wake up issues. at times the phone won't wake up they have to do a battery pull. 3 separate epics I have see it on. None rooted.

Are you sure they are not rooted? Because I only had that issue when I had SetCPU and I had profiles set to slower processor usage. I've put my phone through hell and back between an unofficial 2.2 update, going back to stock via Odin, rooting, and bad SetCPU configs.

I've never seen that on Epics outside of using SetCPU, and this is from working in a service & repair store. I've also had the Epic a month before release, and while there are some issues, wake issues aren't normal.

That being said, as soon as I had the chance, I sold my Epic and got an EVO. I'm a lot happier now.

Just a note on the talk of dual core snapdragons - aren't those procs sampling in spring of 2011, making them likely available in a smartphone not until 2012? Can't remember where I read this, but I could swear they still had longer to bake....

One further note being you'd better hope they've got the TDP sorted for those, as we can't have battery life getting any WORSE than it is on modern smartphones. The one thing my work blackberry has over my N1 is battery life.

the only thing I can think of that would cause it at this point would be a bad flash from the factory.

Actually, the first batch of Epics had horrific batteries from the factory, they might have gotten those if they were early adopters or the stores didn't sell their stock quickly.

That being said, if I had the choice between the Epic and the EVO, I'd do the EVO. If it was between the Epic and EVO shift, it'd be a VERY tough call but I'd probably swing for the shift.

Back