eVGA 6800/6800GT fan sticker problem, owners read!

tranCendenZ

2[H]4U
There seems to be a small problem with some eVGA 6800/6800GT cards. Apparently the adhesive they used for the little eVGA logo that goes around the inner circle of the fan could be defective, and on several cards the sticker has fallen off and gotten trapped in the fan, stopping the fan and toasting the card.

So, if you have an eVGA 6800/6800GT, check out the small sticker on the inside ring of the fan to make sure it is still attached, or just take it off altogether. But if you take it off, put it in the original box in case they are anal and ask for it if you need to RMA or want to use the step up program.

Just a heads up :)

I was reading about that the other day. Some guy on nV News had an eVGA 6800GT and his sticker came off and killed the fan causing his card to overheat.

I dont think it will actually hurt the card much though because of the fact nVidia cards will downclock themselves once they reach a certain temp of like 120C.

burningrave101 said:
I was reading about that the other day. Some guy on nV News had an eVGA 6800GT and his sticker came off and killed the fan causing his card to overheat.

I dont think it will actually hurt the card much though because of the fact nVidia cards will downclock themselves once they reach a certain temp of like 120C.
135C. ;)

Scott

burningrave101 said:

It's happened to like 3+ people now.

mine defaults to 120 too. No worries here, first thing I did was remove the fan and heatsink. Makes a nice paperweight.

a few people already and at most theyve only been running their card for a few weeks.

that sounds like eventual trouble for anyone owning one.. myself included granted ive already ripped the stock off and put a watertblock on it.

boy id be pissed if mine fried that way. :mad:

burningrave101 said:
The core slowdown threshold on my 6800GT shows 120C as the set temp.
Crap my eyes have deceived me yet again. I thought you were talking about the Ultra.

Scott

Back