eVGA 131-K8-NF44-AX NF4 SLi mATX Mobo Thread

PClark99 said:
They might exhaust air off the front of the card, but the cards still radiate heat off the other side. not :cool:

MsB, WTF is that?
My same reaction, lol. That's one weird kit... :rolleyes:

EDIT: My mobo was shipped today, should get to me by the sixth. *Sigh* Monarch + Paypal = slow...

PClark99 said:
They might exhaust air off the front of the card, but the cards still radiate heat off the other side. not :cool:

MsB, WTF is that?
Its a coolit systems freezone. Not water cooling Its chilled liquid cooling. runa a mix of polypropylene glycoland distilled water. It uses teks to cool the fluid and will blow water cooling away not to mention its compact using a 90 mm fan and will fit nicely in back of my qpack . heres a linky for a review http://www.extrememhz.com/freezone-p1.shtml

If that review is accurate then that thing looks amazing. A good match if this board is an overclocker.

MsB said:
Its a coolit systems freezone. Not water cooling Its chilled liquid cooling. runa a mix of polypropylene glycoland distilled water. It uses teks to cool the fluid and will blow water cooling away not to mention its compact using a 90 mm fan and will fit nicely in back of my qpack . heres a linky for a review http://www.extrememhz.com/freezone-p1.shtml

i hate to rain on your parade, put many people more experiencecd than myself at wc gave that thing a mager theumbs down. there was a thread a couple days/weeks ago

lozaning said:
i hate to rain on your parade, put many people more experiencecd than myself at wc gave that thing a mager theumbs down. there was a thread a couple days/weeks ago
Im highly experienced in WC and by the review which was done by a highly experienced water cooler and he gave it a rave so Im sold. Did this thread you speak of have an individual/s that actually have one? link? please

evga-1.jpg

evga-2.jpg

evga-3.jpg

evga-4.jpg

YES I know it's not in a mATX case but it's all I have at the moment and I know you all want details about the board, BIOS etc. I'm waiting on the updated Fragbox2 case to be available in a few weeks......

The install went very smoothly except I forgot to change the jumpers on the MB for SLI mode. The Northbridge fan was a little on the loud side so I slowed it down slightly with a fan mate. There were numerous overclocking options in the BIOS - I'll try to get some pics of those later!

System Build:
Lian-Li V1000B, X2 4800+, (2) EVGA 7800GTX 512, 2gb Corsair XMS, (2) 74gb Raptor Raid0, NEC DVD/RW, Enermax Liberty 620W PSU, Dell 2005FPW, Klipsch 4.1

Benchmark tests - all stock settings:
3Dmark05 compare - 13017

3Dmark06 compare - 8098

Dworly, I think we all collectively sh1t our pantz. :eek:

Fvcking nice!

Please get some BIOS screenies! The stickied Good/Bad mATX mobo thread needs confirmation on features! Dillusion will thank you!

I think its safe to say that we all want to know if this thing can hit 300FSB. :D

benamaster said:
Imagine putting that cooler in a SFF.

AWC-1.jpg

Actually I have this in mind.......I just pulled this out of a new Shuttle I was testing out...... :cool:

Bankie said:
The heatsinks on those cards look huge. Do you think you could get a PCI card in there if you had 2 'normal' cards?

The 7800GTX 512's will stay in the Tower rig, I decided to test them out first since the OS
I used was already set up with that config.

I have (2) BFG 7800GTX 256 cards that I plan to use with this MB in a mATX case so that I can put an X-Fi in the outer slot - stay tuned for more pics
:p

dworley said:
evga-1.jpg

evga-2.jpg

evga-3.jpg

evga-4.jpg

YES I know it's not in a mATX case but it's all I have at the moment and I know you all want details about the board, BIOS etc. I'm waiting on the updated Fragbox2 case to be available in a few weeks......

The install went very smoothly except I forgot to change the jumpers on the MB for SLI mode. The Northbridge fan was a little on the loud side so I slowed it down slightly with a fan mate. There were numerous overclocking options in the BIOS - I'll try to get some pics of those later!

System Build:
Lian-Li V1000B, X2 4800+, (2) EVGA 7800GTX 512, 2gb Corsair XMS, (2) 74gb Raptor Raid0, NEC DVD/RW, Enermax Liberty 620W PSU, Dell 2005FPW, Klipsch 4.1

Benchmark tests - all stock settings:
3Dmark05 compare - 13017

3Dmark06 compare - 8098

OMG OMG OGMOMGOMGOMG now what Im dying to know how does it oc?

Guys, can you please stop quoting the pictures? Thanks.

If you want to know if this OCs, check out the BIOS screenies and see for yourself. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the screenies Dworley!

M4rk said:
Guys, can you please stop quoting the pictures? Thanks.

If you want to know if this OCs, check out the BIOS screenies and see for yourself. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the screenies Dworley!

Just because the bios allows 300, doesn't mean it will do 300.

I'm surprised that giant heatsink doesn't rip the cpu off and fall over :)

Very cool setup...looking forward to stability results. And if you get a chance, could you download a Linux LiveCD (like Kanotix) and see how much of the hardware is recognized? Just curious if they added anything odd to it. My Asus CSM was a PITA to find an installable distribution for, but now it's ok w/ the 2.6.14+ kernels (2.6.15 for minimal sound support)...

Dew said:
Just because the bios allows 300, doesn't mean it will do 300.
"If you want to know if this OCs," not "If you want to know if this OCs well."

Read closer next time.

M4rk said:
"If you want to know if this OCs," not "If you want to know if this OCs well."

Read closer next time.
Whatever, I've see bios's that promise everything only to allow a meager 210 mghz fsb, to me thats not an OC. And of course were all asking HOW it OC's not if it OC's FFS. o well I get mine on monday. I'll know soon enough.

UPDATE: Got the motherboard ready to roll. A few observations: This is identical almost to the EVGA regular SLI board which was a very good oc'er that Anadtech reviewed. It is the same as the Jetway. I like the molex coonector for added stability. This thing should oc quite well.

Issues will defintely be heat. As for the guy talking about vdimm and vcore. I have personally oc'd at least 5 different optie 165's, several 144's, several Venice 3000-3200's. They don't need more than 1.55 for a good oc. After 1.55 you get SEVERELY diminished returns. I could 2.6 with a chip at 1.5 and it was not prime Stable at 2.7 till 1.65 v which is too much voltage for too little a gain. Unless you are running BH-5 or one of those counter parts vdimm over 2.85 is not worth it anyway.

I gotta find my AS5 and then stick on my Zalman and get her ready to roll. I got a good feeling about this board :D

MsB said:
Whatever, I've see bios's that promise everything only to allow a meager 210 mghz fsb, to me thats not an OC. And of course were all asking HOW it OC's not if it OC's FFS. o well I get mine on monday. I'll know soon enough.
Sorry for misleading you. :rolleyes:

Thanks Operaman, we'll all be looking forward to your results!

Well so far highly dissappointed. I believe there is no PCI-e lock. I have Hypertransport at 600 and added some voltage. It simply will not boot much above 220 PERIOD. This really sucks if true. Got to say there is no weakness to my system so this motherboard may just suck unless there is a bios update giving a PCI-ex lock.

operaman said:
Well so far highly dissappointed. I believe there is no PCI-e lock. I have Hypertransport at 600 and added some voltage. It simply will not boot much above 220 PERIOD. This really sucks if true. Got to say there is no weakness to my system so this motherboard may just suck unless there is a bios update giving a PCI-ex lock.
Go see if there's a new BIOS availible. If not, use one of the better eVGA SLI BIOSes (the ones made for their full-size board). Of course, flash at your own risk. I'm only offering suggestions.

oh NO's I hope its not true anyways if it doesnt lock well I will definately flash mine with a full sized evga boards bios but what if the prob is hardware not bios? omg I hope it will do better than 220. otherwise the only way to really get a good oc will be fx60 and I dont want to spend that much on a proc or buy a 185 opty. um, Also am I missing your specs operaman? what kinda ram are you using? sometimes also its a matter of really cooling the mobo caps and chipset with extra fans to get a bit more.

MsB said:
oh NO's I hope its not true anyways if it doesnt lock well I will definately flash mine with a full sized evga boards bios but what if the prob is hardware not bios? omg I hope it will do better than 220. otherwise the only way to really get a good oc will be fx60 and I dont want to spend that much on a proc or buy a 185 opty. um, Also am I missing your specs operaman? what kinda ram are you using? sometimes also its a matter of really cooling the mobo caps and chipset with extra fans to get a bit more.
Perhaps its something to do with the jumpers?

UPDATE: Weird thing. Motherboard will NOT BOOT at 1.550 v. Will boot fine at others (1.525,etc.). I got it to boot up to 282 fsb. Windoes at 278. I cannot get the damn @#$$!@~~!!! stable at even 2.4 with Super PI. I am going to pop in my UPMW 0550 (I got three 165's to choose from right now :D). HOPEFULLY I can get this sucker at at least 2.5. For reference, my RAM is Mushkin Extreme PC4000 2 X 1 GB Sticks. Also, I set the SLI jumpers correctly (DUH!!! :rolleyes: )

operaman said:
UPDATE: Weird thing. Motherboard will NOT BOOT at 1.550 v. Will boot fine at others (1.525,etc.). I got it to boot up to 282 fsb. Windoes at 278. I cannot get the damn @#$$!@~~!!! stable at even 2.4 with Super PI. I am going to pop in my UPMW 0550 (I got three 165's to choose from right now :D). HOPEFULLY I can get this sucker at at least 2.5. For reference, my RAM is Mushkin Extreme PC4000 2 X 1 GB Sticks. Also, I set the SLI jumpers correctly (DUH!!! :rolleyes: )
Nonono, I didn't say you set the jumpers incorrectly, I mearly said there might be a jumper somewhere that'll change your voltage. Scour the manual! :p

It might be your ram, considering you're using PC4000 and no PC3200. If you have any DDR400 lying around, try it out. Theorically, it shouldn't help you OC, but you never know! Might help you get stable at high clocks! ;)

M4rk said:
Nonono, I didn't say you set the jumpers incorrectly, I mearly said there might be a jumper somewhere that'll change your voltage. Scour the manual! :p

It might be your ram, considering you're using PC4000 and no PC3200. If you have any DDR400 lying around, try it out. Theorically, it shouldn't help you OC, but you never know! Might help you get stable at high clocks! ;)

yeah it might not like your ram since its fairly new and bios line is new.
and 2.4 ghz on a 165 aint bad bannanas. I bet this thing is just starvin for a nice bios readjustment. Well if I can get even 250 fsb stable Id be pretty happy. Things are looking up. Keep up the good work operaman and please keep us posted.

Yeah, the eVGA will probably release a better BIOS sooner or later. You're Opty or RAM might just need some burn-in time too.

dworley said:
EVGA-1.jpg

As per request - (2) 7800GTX 256 SLI w/ Creative X-fi in outer PCI slot!

Is that KO edition able to get enough air with the audigy against the fan like that? I have two KO edition cards and an audigy 2 I would like to slap on this board but I'm afraid the card next to the audigy will starve for air while gaming.

MsB said:
yeah it might not like your ram since its fairly new and bios line is new.
and 2.4 ghz on a 165 aint bad bannanas. I bet this thing is just starvin for a nice bios readjustment. Well if I can get even 250 fsb stable Id be pretty happy. Things are looking up. Keep up the good work operaman and please keep us posted.
Okay, the issue here is the fact that the T-Force board ran this same chip and ram at 2.5 ghz without a hitch at 1.5v. So I am a tad ticked that this eVGA board is failing super pi at STOCK. You heard right: AT STOCK settings. I even uninstalled rebooted and reinstalled super pi. This board could just be a lemon I suppose, but I am most likely returning it. Unbelievable. I KNEW I should have stuck with DFI. They have never let me down.

Never have I had a board load default settings and then have it not boot. I have to RESET the BIOS? Wow. That,s all I can say is wow. IT ONLY RUNS AT 2T COMMAND. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE FOR ANY NF4 MOTHERBOARD. PERIOD.

I run flat out the highest end components anyone can get (PSU, memory, etc) and this POS motherboard will not even pass stock settings. And YES. I have read the manual. After building and overclocking 2 dozen or so dual core systems I have a clue. I ran this same chip, PSU, harddrive and vid cards in SLI in a DFI Expert board at 2.5 at STOCK VOLTS. And this stinking Matx board won't even pass a stability test at STOCK? You can bet Mr. Monarch will be receiving a pm and I will be returning this POS motherboard....

Big thumbs down. I just wasted 12 hours of my precious time I will never get back on this POS motherboard. I mean if it isn't stable at stock settings what can I do? It ain't the PSU, the RAM or the processor or the vid cards. Leaves little else to chance eh?

I big thanks to you guys doing preliminary testing with this board! Keep up the good work. :D

MikeyB said:
I big thanks to you guys doing preliminary testing with this board! Keep up the good work. :D
Avoid it. It is crap. Perhaps mine is a lemon but I will be damned if I am goingto pay the 140+ to find out...

operaman said:
Avoid it. It is crap. Perhaps mine is a lemon but I will be damned if I am goingto pay the 140+ to find out...
LOL I have a couple questions like did you start from scratch with a new os? sometimes that can remedy a lot of probs. I know it should work if the hdd was nf4 in the first place but hey. Second one bad apple dont spoil the whole bunch and getting all excited at the first guy to post reports about it is premature to say the least. I get mine on monday. Well see if if that ones a lemon as well. also did you start out with sli? have you tried the board in single vid card setup? it could be sli is bad. and did you try another set of memory? memory icompatability is quite often the center of a lot of mobo probs. Id take a deep breath and try some other things. If it does work well with one vid card then try some earlier drivers with sli.

Nothing personal but few people on this forum short of reviewers has touched more hardware than me both notebooks and regular desktops. I am telling you this board while it may be just a single lemon is most likely crap. I know overclocking inside and out and have been extremely successful at it. I know this particular bios inside and out because it is very similar to the EVGA SLI big brother but lacks key features like a NB voltage and LDT adjustment as well.

As for any of my hardware being an issue: The Seasonic S-12 600 watt is simply one of the best PSU's in the world. There is no way a an SFF will pull more voltage either unevenly or otherwise than a DFI expert board. My memory is topnotch and has been used in a DFI NF4-D, ULTRA-D,SLI-DR, and an SLI-Expert. Plus an MSI K8N NeoPlatinum4, an EVGA SLI, a T-Force 6100, an ECS R482 rev 1 board, and an ASRock DualPCI-e/AGP board (actually 2 of them). I am pretty sure my stuff is good and stable.

The fact that this board refuses to address 2 gigs of either Mushkin PC4000 or Corsair PC4000 (yes I got 2 Gigs of each) outside of a 2T command is a big problem. The fact that this board does not boot if you set it to 1.550 volts is another issue. I also wish I had a voltameter to properly measure volts on the cpu, because according to the bios and to CPU-Z it is pulling 1.41v when I got it set to 1.525 (the highest the bios will allow me to set it and boot)

Temps appear to be within spec. And these errors have occured with two Opty 165's. I suppose I could try my third one but geez, at what point do you say it's the motherboard? Saddest part? The T-Force 6100 was a 43 barebone motherboard from Newegss refurb site I got for kicks. It took my chip to 2.5 ghz without trying at a 1t command. This board was one I put some cash into and it doesn't even work at stock 1.8ghz unless you use a 2T command for the memory. As far as I am concerned it is a flawed motherboard. Perhaps a bios fix? I really do not have the time and energy to find out.

operaman said:
Nothing personal but few people on this forum short of reviewers has touched more hardware than me both notebooks and regular desktops. I am telling you this board while it may be just a single lemon is most likely crap. I know overclocking inside and out and have been extremely successful at it. I know this particular bios inside and out because it is very similar to the EVGA SLI big brother but lacks key features like a NB voltage and LDT adjustment as well.

As for any of my hardware being an issue: The Seasonic S-12 600 watt is simply one of the best PSU's in the world. There is no way a an SFF will pull more voltage either unevenly or otherwise than a DFI expert board. My memory is topnotch and has been used in a DFI NF4-D, ULTRA-D,SLI-DR, and an SLI-Expert. Plus an MSI K8N NeoPlatinum4, an EVGA SLI, a T-Force 6100, an ECS R482 rev 1 board, and an ASRock DualPCI-e/AGP board (actually 2 of them). I am pretty sure my stuff is good and stable.

The fact that this board refuses to address 2 gigs of either Mushkin PC4000 or Corsair PC4000 (yes I got 2 Gigs of each) outside of a 2T command is a big problem. The fact that this board does not boot if you set it to 1.550 volts is another issue. I also wish I had a voltameter to properly measure volts on the cpu, because according to the bios and to CPU-Z it is pulling 1.41v when I got it set to 1.525 (the highest the bios will allow me to set it and boot)

Temps appear to be within spec. And these errors have occured with two Opty 165's. I suppose I could try my third one but geez, at what point do you say it's the motherboard? Saddest part? The T-Force 6100 was a 43 barebone motherboard from Newegss refurb site I got for kicks. It took my chip to 2.5 ghz without trying at a 1t command. This board was one I put some cash into and it doesn't even work at stock 1.8ghz unless you use a 2T command for the memory. As far as I am concerned it is a flawed motherboard. Perhaps a bios fix? I really do not have the time and energy to find out.

I totally understand, it sounds to me like you are right but with little info in the first place being posted I just had to question. If mine is the same and wont run at 1t then its shit and thats that. Like I said there wasn't much in your posts about your test setup and variety. I come from forums where we document every aspect of the tests. I still would try it single card if you haven't and if you have better success than you might try earlier vga drivers. Gosh I hope i didn't waste 140 bucks because I wont pay for a board that wont at least run 1t stock settings! Sorry about your luck man. I'll post my results monday night.

Back