Esxi issue

ashman

Gawd
Been getting my ass kicked all this week by this bug that has been affecting my biggest client.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2072694

The work around is to replace the E1000 adapter with a VMXNET2 which has worked, although it borked the terminal server when I did it this morning so I had to fail over to a Veeam replica on a different host to get the client going.

I am going in this weekend to apply update 3 to both hosts which addresses this issue.

Do you think I should put the E1000 adapters back in the vm's or leave them with the VMXNET2? Its a small environment, 5 vm's, two hosts running ESXi and one physical windows server acting as the veeam backup server and a whole lot of other things.

The recommendations I've seen have been to go to VMXNET3, not 2.

If VMXNET NICs are working, I'd leave them be. They should be better performing than E1000 anyway.

Upgrading the hosts should resolve the issue. I've had E1000 PSODs at a few sites. Hasn't reoccurred (yet) since the hosts were upgraded.

I guess I've been lucky in that I've never experienced a PSOD due to the E1000's
OK I'll leave the VMXNET adapters then.

I had a similar issue at the start of last year (Literally New Years Day 2014) with E1000 and ESXi 5.5. My fix was to go with VMXNET3s. Not quite the same as the issue you are experiencing, but it's worth considering that VMXNETs are designed for VMs whereas the E1000 are emulating legacy cards.

Just my 2p worth....

Back