Enermax Revolution X't 730W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Enermax Revolution X't 730W Power Supply Review - Enermax, a long time favorite PSU brand here at HardOCP, comes to us today with a Revolution X't computer power supply. This PSU boasts a Gold level efficiency rating, a hybrid modular flat cable interface, brand name electrolytic capacitors, with "CordGuard," "HeatGuard," "SafeGuard," and "SpeedGuard" features.

This is the Dallas Cowboys of power supplies: Overwhelming mediocrity. Nice review and thanks for the perspective there at the end.

It's almost too bad that it passed your test, or you could have X't it.

730 watts? What, an extra 20 was hard to achieve? I don't get this PSU at all. Enermax used to make great PSU's. Now, it's just sad.

730 watts? What, an extra 20 was hard to achieve? I don't get this PSU at all. Enermax used to make great PSU's. Now, it's just sad.

The key is Enermax. This is a CWT unit being sold by Enermax under their brand, so it is quite different from previous Revolution units that Enermax designed and built.

730 watts? What, an extra 20 was hard to achieve?

Other PSU makers are adding 10 watts to new models for no other apparent reason than to differentiate it from older models, and separate them from other makers when you drill down sites like Newegg or Amazon. Corsair AX760, Seasonic SS-660XP2, etc.

140 dollars? seems a bit much for something not so special.

You can snag a Corsair HX850W unit for 140 -- I'd have more confidence in that brand (and them standing behind it personally)

Enermax used to make great PSU's. Now, it's just sad.

The old Enermax power supplies were great, I'm still using a couple of old Enermax power suplies in family systems. One has to be at least 10 years old, as I had to use adapters on the power cables to plug in the SATA drives.

I think in this wattage category, you go with the Rosewill Capstone gold. At least it's made by Super Flower with decent components.

The old Enermax power supplies were great, I'm still using a couple of old Enermax power suplies in family systems. One has to be at least 10 years old, as I had to use adapters on the power cables to plug in the SATA drives.

Yeah, I run a couple of enermax supplies for other projects and they are still going strong. This latest stuff I have little to no confidence in.

"Great power supplies you remember!"

Thats just what my dear old Grandfather said to me on his deathbed!

Sorry but that really made me laugh.

Sad to see good brands fall in the the sea of mediocrity. It's happening far too often today. Good thing we still have brands like Seasonic themselves who will normally not compromise.

I don't understand, Enermax builds their own power supplies right? Why would they farm this one out to CWT? Im not that much up on the OEM scene and know that all power supplies are built by only a handful of companies but I thought Enermax, like Seasonic, built their own. :confused:

I don't understand, Enermax builds their own power supplies right? Why would they farm this one out to CWT? Im not that much up on the OEM scene and know that all power supplies are built by only a handful of companies but I thought Enermax, like Seasonic, built their own. :confused:

That's precisely the source of so much dismay in this thread. Enermax has moved down a tier, from being a pure OEM to being a designer for at least some of its PSUs. It suggests that they are no longer capable of building what they design.

That's precisely the source of so much dismay in this thread. Enermax has moved down a tier, from being a pure OEM to being a designer for at least some of its PSUs. It suggests that they are no longer capable of building what they design.

Damn that is sad then. I have noticed that Enermax PSU's seem to be getting mostly "ho-hum" reviews lately. That didn't used to be the case. But Corsair seems to be mailing it in with their PSU's too while Cooler Master and Antec are stepping it up with Seasonic and Delta built units. What's the world coming to?

Corsair never made their own; they are pure designer, having their PSUs made by several OEMs, including Seasonic, CWT, and now recently Great Wall.

Corsair never made their own; they are pure designer, having their PSUs made by several OEMs, including Seasonic, CWT, and now recently Great Wall.

Yeah I know but they were always very good, "can't go wrong" power supplies. Now, not so much with cheap OEM's.

They can. Their costs are just too high because their volume is low to build all of their units. Particularly anything that is not a premium product where prices can support their manufacturing costs.

As much as Corsair likes to claim they are a designer, they are not. They have some input into designs but they do not do design from scratch.

Back