elite 130 vs silverstone sg10 ?

you2

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone used both of these cases; if so any comments - this would be for a gtx980+mini-itx+i7 system.
-
I prefer the elite 130 full size optical bay (the 450 has no optical bay; the sg10 a bay for a thin drive). I don't need much in hd bays - 1 hd and 1 ssd (or maybe just 1 large ssd).

Air cooled, water cooled? Do you NEED an optical drive? I prefer the Elite 130 since it's designed for mITX unlike the SG10 which can do mATX as well.

Air cool. No real interest in water cooled; Yea I want to stick a blu-ray drive in the bay; so I prefer the 5 1/4 bay.

If you are willing to consider SG10 and its 23 liter size, you may also want to consider either SG01 or SG02 as they are about the same size too (22 liters), and both support two 5.25" drive bays while still compatible with Micro-ATX motherboards. Although SG01 and SG02 have no native 2.5" drive bays, you can easily get a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter for installing a SSD in both cases.

For your reference, the Elite 130 being limited to Mini-ITX motherboard is still about 20 liters in size.

Well i would love something smaller that supports full size 5 1/4 and full length graphic card. ..

I have worked with both.

The Elite 130 was for a family build, and the SG10 is my daily driver case.

I prefer the SG10, purely due to the additional space.
Getting the PSU away from the CPU socket clears space for a cheap after market tower cooler and makes it far easier to work with the various components inside the computer.

I would go for a modular PSU on both!

Edit:
The problem with the SG10 is finding a good optical slot loaded drive and securing it inside the case.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yea i will use a modular psu. I am leaning toward 130 due to fill 5 1.4 bay, any other comments on finish our cooling began two cases. My thought is gtx980, stock cpu cooler hx750i psu (overkill in wattage but super quiet) or a 550/600 taychon or seasonic.

I have worked with both.

The Elite 130 was for a family build, and the SG10 is my daily driver case.

I prefer the SG10, purely due to the additional space.
Getting the PSU away from the CPU socket clears space for a cheap after market tower cooler and makes it far easier to work with the various components inside the computer.

I would go for a modular PSU on both!

Edit:
The problem with the SG10 is finding a good optical slot loaded drive and securing it inside the case.

No experience with the SG10, but my backup ITX build is in a 130, and it's been great. I have an i5 3470 and a blower cooler 780 in there and temps are never an issue. I'm currently using the stock Intel cooler, but will swap it out with an H55 probably in the next week or so. I've trial mounted the H55 in it already to test the radiator and tubing clearance and it has more than enough room even with an installed GPU, 3.5" drive and the P8Z77-i's daughterboard taking up space. It's also easy to filter; i used 5 of these, 2 on each side and one in the front, as well as one 120mm version directly on the PSU's intake, and the thing stays pretty clean overall. Also, for the PSU, you'll probably want to use one that has floppy ribbon cables instead of regular sleeved ones for easy management. I have a Seasonic G-550 in there and it has just enough clearance to keep the cables out of the way to allow a 5.25" drive in the front bay.

One last thing, if you're going to stick to stock CPU cooling, make sure to get a fan with high static pressure to replace the intake as depending on your cable management skills, it may have to push past several PSU cables, a bay mounted 2.5" drive and a bottom mounted 3.5" drive when fully loaded.

Fans that can powerfully channel air straight ahead vs flooding the surrounding area with airflow. Check out this Silverstone video for a demonstration. I think I may have meant fans with directly air flow, but this is close enough.

Any particular model you recommend. I have some cougar 120's at home but no clue if they are 'static' pressue.

Back