Eizo Foris FG2421: 120hz VA Panel

The more I think about this the more I want it! Been looking to replace my Benq EW30 for ages but the main thing I wanted was speed with VA quality. This!?

No, this is a PC gaming oriented monitor while the Foris is meant for PC and console gaming.

The Eizo EV2336 uses the same light matte coating, has equally as good default colors, has less overshoot ghosting than the FS2333, does not use http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/pulse_width_modulation.htm#side_effects unless the brightness is set below 20% and has a height adjustable stand.

So they are going to continue to manufacture / market this alongside the FS2333?

I know they don't overlap entirely, but they are pretty close.

The FS has slightly less input lag (?) and an extra HDMI port

The FG is .5" larger, less eyestrain, and better black levels. (and of course less motion blur but I'm not sure how this will affect console gaming)

I much prefer the bezel design of the FG but I can't believe they keep leaving off rotation on the stands of these gaming monitors. Seeing as they are Japanese and were the world's best in the arcade gaming monitor business for 20 years, you think they would understand the importance of rotation.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this monitor use the same scaling as the FS2333 (smart-resolution feature)?

Don't worry. I don't know what crack was flatpanels guy smoking when he wrote about bad angles but VA are much better then TNs and slightly worse than IPS in that regard.
just like various TN differs in their viewing angle performance VA differs too
I find older VA panels like found on Dell 2407WFP and HP LP2465 vastly superior to never A-MVA offerings. Even older MVA 1280x1024 monitors were superior to it.

I haven't seen BenQ GW2760HS in person to compare and I don't know if this EIZO have those viewing angle improvement but if not then con 'poor viewing angles' in reviews is pretty understandable. Better than TN but thats pretty much it

-------------------------------------

is this a replacement for the FS2333?

I was just about to pull the trigger on one of those...

So they are going to continue to manufacture / market this alongside the FS2333?

I know they don't overlap entirely, but they are pretty close.

The FS has slightly less input lag (?) and an extra HDMI port

The FG is .5" larger, less eyestrain, and better black levels. (and of course less motion blur but I'm not sure how this will affect console gaming)

FS2333 is 60Hz monitor without even ability to be overclocked to eg. 75Hz
so in my books is pretty weak gaming monitor, crappy even and I don't get what is so 'gaming' about if it is unsuitable for PC gaming at all

Weird thing is that the 120hz panels aren't listed on AUO homepage anymore, and if both are correctly marked as discontinued from the links I have provided, then what panel is Eizo using?

It's a Sharp MVA panel according to TFTCentral. Note that it's 23.5" diagonal and not 24". Sharp have one listed on their website, although spec and details coming soon apparently:

www.sharpsma.com/lcd-suite

No, this is a PC gaming oriented monitor while the Foris is meant for PC and console gaming.

The Eizo EV2336 uses the same light matte coating, has equally as good default colors, has less overshoot ghosting than the FS2333, does not use http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/pulse_width_modulation.htm#side_effects unless the brightness is set below 20% and has a height adjustable stand.
Why do you think that the FG2421 would be unsuitable for console gaming? Does the VA panel have worse viewing angles?

Just as good motion clarity or maybe even better since Eizo is quoting ≤ 1ms backlight strobing. Versus the current crop of 120+Hz TN in Lightboost mode monitors the Eizo has around ten times the contrast, far superior blacks, colors, viewing angles and AR film. Vastly superior. ;)

WOW, this changes everything. I had it narrowed down to one of the TN/120hz vendors, either BenQ or Asus, as a second monitor for gaming. (I have the below listed IPS Dell ).

Looking at the preliminary comments about the upcoming BenQ XL2720Z, do you think at this point the Eizo has the edge even over this one as well?

Dumb question, since it may be in the reviews (and yes, I read them). Is the strobe available for framerates below 120hz? Can I do it on 60? Reason I ask is that my computer hardware can't hope to pull a constant 120, and I'd rather have consistency versus frames.

WOW, this changes everything. I had it narrowed down to one of the TN/120hz vendors, either BenQ or Asus, as a second monitor for gaming. (I have the below listed IPS Dell ).

Looking at the preliminary comments about the upcoming BenQ XL2720Z, do you think at this point the Eizo has the edge even over this one as well?

Yes, the XL2720Z is still a TN panel.

Dumb question, since it may be in the reviews (and yes, I read them). Is the strobe available for framerates below 120hz? Can I do it on 60? Reason I ask is that my computer hardware can't hope to pull a constant 120, and I'd rather have consistency versus frames.

No strobing at 60, it would have apparent flickering like an old CRT and you wouldn't like that. Backlight strobing is the realm of 100+ Hz. The monitor can run 60 Hz, but in regular mode. Would be a good monitor for future proofing if you ever get a faster computer.

Framerate =/= Hz.

You can still run this monitor at 120Hz with strobing for improved motion clarity even when your PC is only getting 30-60fps in-game.

Ha - never thought of it as future-proofing, but that makes sense then. This may be my LAN monitor, as opposed to the FW-900, with is enormous weight.

With the nVidia 780 video card, and my i7-2600k CPU which I can pretty easily OC to @ 4.0-4.2ghz, if I remember correctly, running Battlefield 4 at 1920x1080 with 'medium' quality, my frames per second in-game with the Eizo should be close to the refresh rate, no?

Hi Guys, got my fg2421 today and I disassembled it.

Now you can see the panel is made from SHARP. According to the database, this panel is a true 10-bit panel but the color depth is limited by EIZO IMO, because I guess EIZO also has its high end product lines which use this panel with better driver will surely charge more money.

Hope this helps.

Now you can see the panel is made from SHARP. According to the database, this panel is a true 10-bit panel but the color depth is limited by EIZO IMO, because I guess EIZO also has its high end product lines which use this panel with better driver will surely charge more money.

Hope this helps.

10611116713_7b10f05040_o.jpg

SLAYER! Please take tons of photos of the chassis bezels and the panel/electronics chassis front and back please and post them! Me love you long time..

So close... but the lack of a VESA mount makes it a non starter, and it needs to be 27". I'd pay 30% more for those extra details.

I'd pay more than double if it was 1440.

Hope this helps.

10611116713_7b10f05040_o.jpg

Dude post more pictures WTF?!? Lets see dem nekkid bezles!

Peter Griffin Japanese translation moment -- sorry, couldn't resist ;)

SLAYER! Please take tons of photos of the chassis bezels and the panel/electronics chassis front and back please and post them! Me love you long time..

maybe a dumb question, but please educate me :) does such a high contrast ratio really make a difference? Would you see the difference compared for example to a 2500/3000:1 monitor?

Hn, I don't know if I should cancel my Amazon order and go with BLT or what. I hate that Amazon is so erratic and you don't know when anything will ship.

Hn, I don't know if I should cancel my Amazon order and go with BLT or what. I hate that Amazon is so erratic and you don't know when anything will ship.

Even with tax, Amazon is still slightly cheaper + prime shipping for me. I hope Amazon received enough to fulfill the initial batch of orders. Looks like BLT is getting 40 units total for now...

I am going to stick with my Amazon order just in case the monitor doesn't meet my expectations for the price. Unfortunately, they just started taxing in my state today though..

I guess the California shipments came sooner from Japan...? Though I thought Amazon had a warehouse over there too.

Who knows. I'm impatient though so I swapped my order to ShopBLT - 18 left! At least the shipping was free. Maybe you could order one of your three from there and see which comes first

I see people saying this lacks Vesa mount holes. Does that mean there is no easy way to turn this baby into portrait mode or it just limits the available mounts? i.e. does Eizo have a proprietary arm for this monitor?

Really interesting they are using a Sharp panel. For a long time I wondered why manufacturers only used panels from LG, AUO or Samsung. I just assumed yield was too low at monitor sizes or TV panel companies charged too much. Eizo also has a bit of an oddity with their 21.3" IPS model, at 1500:1 contrast. I'm not quite sure where they get that panel from either.

Hopefully other manufacturers can use this same VA panel, perhaps in cheaper models. And even better if the Foris is a hit, as then Sharp may consider larger panels.

Placed an order on shopblt. Will cancel whichever one does not ship. I remember amazon took a long time to get the FS2333 in stock.

~Fifty minutes after my order:

Dear Phillip:

Thank you very much for your order:

Sold To:
<snip>

Ship To:
<snip>

Account Number: <snip>

The following item you ordered is in stock:

Item Unit Extended
Qty ID # Description Price Price
--- -------- -------------------------- ------------ ------------
001 BTJ6828 23.5IN WIDESCREEN LCD 604.11 604.11
1920X1080 5000:1 240HZ
400CD / M2
MFG #: FG2421-BK
SHIP: FEDEX
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Purchase Sub Total: $604.11
Shipping: 0.00
Handling: 0.00
Sales Tax: 0.00
Order Total: $604.11

We have processed this item for an estimated ship date of today. The day following shipment, a receipt will be sent by email with tracking information.

If you should have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us via the methods listed below. Thank you for your time, and business.

Best Regards,
Stephanie L.

maybe a dumb question, but please educate me :) does such a high contrast ratio really make a difference? Would you see the difference compared for example to a 2500/3000:1 monitor?

It makes a huge difference unless its a brightly lit room.
4300:1 is still quite low contrast, people are just used to trash panels.

What the heck is going on with Amazon?

But $50 more. Amazon is screwy sometimes.

They had weird stock issues during the launch of the Asus PQ321 too. Didn't get any stock until like a week after the official launch even while Newegg etc were selling them.

Who knows. I'm impatient though so I swapped my order to ShopBLT - 18 left! At least the shipping was free. Maybe you could order one of your three from there and see which comes first

Ugg, not sure if I switch to BLT this late in the day they would ship. Plus the price difference on three panels would add up. BLT free ground would take 5+ business days to get to me from dang CA. If Amazon doesn't ship by Monday night I will be forced to change.

And where did that guy go that took his apart. We need more pics! :eek:

ho hum, still dreaming of something like this but 28.5", 4K, no lag, g-sync, 8 bit, no banding, VESA mounts. It's probably not going to happen in my lifetime
Sad, isn't it? They could make one you describe in two years.

Back