Eizo CX240 Review

Just order my CX240 and instead of the free ColorNavigor Licence and took a 80 Euro discount, so the whol thing is costing me 899 Euros now which is a steal for this monitor.

And i spoke with the retailer and i will be getting one with a recent manufacturing date.

Will let you know soon :)

Last edited:
It doesn't, it does only have much better screen uniformity. A VA can have deep blacks in the center, with all the sides grey it's still pretty crappy.

This does not apply to all VA panels

Some people prefer vertical space of a 16:10 24" over a 16:9 27"

2560x1440 monitors offer far more vertical space over 1920x1200

Saying movies look bad on a wide gamut monitor is quite unfair and a bit dishonest. There are plenty of color managed video playback applications - starting with the best video player out there: MPC-HC - which is free. I can't speak for games, but don't say movies have inaccurate colors, because it's quite the opposite. I guess for games you can also always turn on the sRGB mode.

I didn't, actually read my post. If one wants over-saturated colors they can choose to set the color space to aRGB since color management is disabled by default in MPC (and most programs) and games do not support CMS.

You're talking about the 5000 Dollar FDF2405W then, i'm sure that's a 100% Uniform VA Panel, unlike the FG2421.

No, I'm referring to the budget VA panels I've tested/tried out as well as the many VA panels which have been reviewed. The FG2421 and VN279Q's light edges are anomalies in the VA world. VA panels have a much better (anecdotal forum+review) track record for screen uniformity compared to other panel types in the same price range.

Just because it's 1440 in height, but it's still a 16:9 resolution.

27" 2560x1440 Physical+Resolution Height>1920x1200

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97364704@N08/10815252056/sizes/h/in/photostream/

and

http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-24-inch-16x10

Last edited:
Some people, including myself, never did and never will like the 16:9 ratio. No matter what size or vertical resolution, it just looks too damn wide to me.

Some people, including myself, never did and never will like the 16:9 ratio. No matter what size or vertical resolution, it just looks too damn wide to me.

Yep, that's my problem aswell way to wide.

My first wide screen monitor was the EIZO S2231W (S-PVA, 1680x1050), and ever since then i wouldn't want anything else but 16:10.

16:9 is a typical TV aspect ratio which is perfectly fine for such usage..

Last edited:
Well, EIZO replied to me that they don't recommend this monitor for gaming...

Well, EIZO replied to me that they don't recommend this monitor for gaming...

Ofcourse they don't, because it's a Profesional Photo Editing monitor. My old S2231W wasn't for Gaming either and it worked just fine.

I will be using the CX240 for Gaming aswell, simply because there is nothing else on the market that suits my needs. I need a spot on Display and the cheapest one is the CX240.

For Casual Gaming (Non CS) it will work just fine.

Yep, that's my problem as well way to wide.

Yeah that extra 3 inch width difference between a 27" 16:9 & 24: 16:10 difference is huge! Ignore the fact that screen-real estate is lost when displaying 16:9 content and that 1440p offers far more resolution. If it is too wide move the display back or sit further way. It's not 2006 anymore and the majority of the best monitors are 16:9.

Which means the colors are fucking dull.

Set the color space (via the included software) or monitor to the Adobe RGB mode=inaccurate and over-saturated, art direction disrespecting colors in games for you. If you think your Catleap looks good the CX240 will not dissapoint when the sRGB mode/gamut setting is used. The CG241W uses a grainy matte coating which dulls the colors and has poor black (S-PVA from 2007) and should not be compared to newer models.

Last edited:
Ofcourse they don't, because it's a Profesional Photo Editing monitor. My old S2231W wasn't for Gaming either and it worked just fine.

I will be using the CX240 for Gaming aswell, simply because there is nothing else on the market that suits my needs. I need a spot on Display and the cheapest one is the CX240.

For Casual Gaming (Non CS) it will work just fine.

The problem is not that it can be slow or it would ghost too much - it is clear that it wouldn't. The "thing" for me is the color reproduction on the eizo non-gaming monitors... I had a CG241W and while it was great for photo and graphic work (of which I don't give a damn about lol), in games the colors were DULL and ...um... unpronounced. They did not pop so to say. Tried every possible setting, exchanged pages of text messages with different EIZO guys... The outcome was that the color was deliberately tuned in such a way so it doesn't oversaturate the image....so that the designers (those beautiful guys with modern haircuts :D) could distinguish every single color pattern on the display.
So, I got a clear answer today - CX240 have the same correct color performance like the CG models. Which means the colors are fucking dull.

The Colors on my EV2436W were dull aswell compared to the S2231W, i got used to it. Going from the EV2436W to the CX240 can only be better.

The S2231W is a wide gamut monitor which lacks a color space reducing sRGB mode...of course the EV2436W's colors will look correct (dull) by comparison.

So i wont have a lot to get used to when i get the CX240.

Perhaps be amazed that it's IPS without glow, unlike the EV2436W :)

sRGB gamma which those monitors are factory calibrated to should not be used for multimedia, games and not even to browse funny cat pictures. 'Normal' power of 2.2 to 2.4 gamma should be used instead and which is better depends on lighting conditions. At night viewing best is 2.4, for daylight 2.2 gives better shadow visibility. I use gamma of 2.33 which is imho good compromise.

sRGB gamma is different than 2.2 because it is only averaging to 2.2. Actually sRGB is much lower at darker shades and higher at brighter shades closer to white and visually it is making color washout and reduced contrast kinda from both sides. sRGB is rarely used anywhere and shouldn't too much truster really, especially when it comes to things where absolutely no one use it like aftermentioned multimedia, games and web.

as for gamut sRGB is enough imho for games to look good though some games look better at eg. AdobeRGB, native or even in Custom mode

and word about VA panels: those when calibrated to sRGB will have definitely bad colors because VA have gamma shift to lower gamma in most of the screen surface so washout of sRGB + washout from VA gamma shift => very very very bad picture :rolleyes:

Unfortunately it's not just sRGB gamma that doing it. sRGB mode looks a bit different on the gaming eizo monitor than a 6500K 2.2 as a preset, or a calibration target, but using it is alright as long as it is GAMING monitor and not graphics monitor. This is my favorite mode and sRGB gamma target is where I aim when I calibrate a monitor for gaming, including my current catleap for example. Games are designed in that mode, that is an industry standard. No game is made with 2.0 gamma or with wide gamut in mind.
Eizo deliberately makes the colors look dull, because it helps distinguish different color gradations.

sRGB gamma which those monitors are factory calibrated to should not be used for multimedia, games and not even to browse funny cat pictures.
Yes and no. Games should be gamma corrected with respect to the sRGB trc – the higher tonal density in the shadows when using a Gamma 2.2 gradation for reproduction can lead to a loss of detail in the shadows. However: The data isn't characterized and we don't know the conditions under which the grading was executed. At the same time – just as you mentioned – the ambient conditions can vary in a wide range and we don't need to realize a perfect colorimetric reproduction.

So, I got a clear answer today - CX240 have the same correct color performance like the CG models. Which means the colors are fucking dull.
As already mentioned you can of course reproduce games without color space transformations which will lead to a very saturated visual impression due to the large color space of this screen. The contrast range is of course not as high than that offered by modern VA panels (with significant constraints regarding viewing angle). Thanks to the special polarisation film (comparable to LGs A-TW solution) the perceived contrast should be at least sufficient even when playing games with high shadow portion.

RGB in this montior is spot on, and will be definitely better than anything you can get from any 8bit CMS because in sRGB mode there will be no banding or dithering and with CMS
A CMM internally calculates with high precision (normally 32bit float). For use in color aware software you can just rely on the native color space of the display even when it offers a full featured color space emulation. This also ensures the highest possible flexibility. For other tasks (e.g. games, video color grading or reproduction) a color space emulation is of course very important.

Yes, the CG246 and CX240 both support full calibration capabilities, and 3d gamut emulation and transformation.
There is a difference between CG246 and CX240. The solution of the CX is comparable to the implementation NEC uses for their PA screens via OSD or SpectraView II. The CG offers a more flexible and precise approach (second emulation function) that precalculates a 3D-LUT on basis of the actual display and emulation profile. SpectraView Profiler provides that too. Nevertheless: The results are very pleasing regardless of the method.

Last edited:
No, I'm referring to the budget VA panels I've tested/tried out as well as the many VA panels which have been reviewed. The FG2421 and VN279Q's light edges are anomalies in the VA world. VA panels have a much better (anecdotal forum+review) track record for screen uniformity compared to other panel types in the same price range.

27" 2560x1440 Physical+Resolution Height>1920x1200

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97364704@N08/10815252056/sizes/h/in/photostream/

and

http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-24-inch-16x10

The only time VA panel washout is consistent is with dark colors that look dark straight-on, but glow at a higher brightness at off-angles, especially horizontally. This is consistently a characteristic of all VA panel variants including S-PVA, PVA, P-MVA, A-MVA etc.... My FG2421 is a lucky lottery winner without any of that trouble.

Yeah that extra 3 inch width difference between a 27" 16:9 & 24: 16:10 difference is huge! Ignore the fact that screen-real estate is lost when displaying 16:9 content and that 1440p offers far more resolution. If it is too wide move the display back or sit further way. It's not 2006 anymore and the majority of the best monitors are 16:9.

Set the color space (via the included software) or monitor to the Adobe RGB mode=inaccurate and over-saturated, art direction disrespecting colors in games for you. If you think your Catleap looks good the CX240 will not dissapoint when the sRGB mode/gamut setting is used. The CG241W uses a grainy matte coating which dulls the colors and has poor black (S-PVA from 2007) and should not be compared to newer models.

Some people prefer this though. While I agree it's over saturated and relatively inaccurate, things like gray scales will mostly be unaffected. Again this is user selection.

So i wont have a lot to get used to when i get the CX240.

Perhaps be amazed that it's IPS without glow, unlike the EV2436W :)

The polarizer in the CX240/CG246W is as good, or even better at reducing glow than the A-TW polarizer was in the LCD2490WUXI (for example) in my opinion.

Yes and no. Games should be gamma corrected with respect to the sRGB trc – the higher tonal density in the shadows when using a Gamma 2.2 gradation for reproduction can lead to a loss of detail in the shadows. However: The data isn't characterized and we don't know the conditions under which the grading was executed. At the same time – just as you mentioned – the ambient conditions can vary in a wide range and we don't need to realize a perfect colorimetric reproduction.

As already mentioned you can of course reproduce games without color space transformations which will lead to a very saturated visual impression due to the large color space of this screen. The contrast range is of course not as high than that offered by modern VA panels (with significant constraints regarding viewing angle). Thanks to the special polarisation film (comparable to LGs A-TW solution) the perceived contrast should be at least sufficient even when playing games with high shadow portion.

A CMM internally calculates with high precision (normally 32bit float). For use in color aware software you can just rely on the native color space of the display even when it offers a full featured color space emulation. This also ensures the highest possible flexibility. For other tasks (e.g. games, video color grading or reproduction) a color space emulation is of course very important.

There is a difference between CG246 and CX240. The solution of the CX is comparable to the implementation NEC uses for their PA screens via OSD or SpectraView II. The CG offers a more flexible and precise approach (second emulation function) that precalculates a 3D-LUT on basis of the actual display and emulation profile. SpectraView Profiler provides that too. Nevertheless: The results are very pleasing regardless of the method.

In general the difference in color space transformation approach between CG246W and CX240/PA series is definitely not something your average user will notice between a CX240 or CG246W. It takes a very special, trained eye to notice the difference, but factually, you are 100% correct.

I have both NEC wide gamut PA series and the CG246W and I haven't seen much difference in terms of transformation approaches. Maybe I would if they are side-by-side, but doubtful without very specific and consistent test images.

Anyway, I have the CG246W and the color accuracy and lack of IPS glow are far-and-away a much better gaming aid than super-fast response. The response time is definitely adequate for normal speed gaming, and input lag is not an issue here. In terms of how it compares to most IPS panels, it's probably as good as screens like the Dell U2410, U2413 and Asus PA246.

have both NEC wide gamut PA series and the CG246W and I haven't seen much difference in terms of transformation approaches.
The calculations of the display engine are of course precise enough – at least with a "fresh" display. Moreover: Deviations over time can be compensated by udpating the reference data. Eizo now also supports a relative colorimetric intent (Gamut clipping) in this emulation workflow, just like NEC.

But there are other advantages of the more sophisticated precalculation: With the CG246 you can upload external LUT data calculated by an other CMM. This can be important in a video color grading environment. And of course you have the good feeling of always relying on the actual display charcteristic.

Last edited:
2560x1440 monitors offer far more vertical space over 1920x1200

To come back on this.

Whenever you play older games that don't support Wide Screen with 16:10 @ 1920x1200 you can always go 1600x1200 without going blurry :)

Just something i noticed recently when doing some GoG.com Winter Sale shopping :p

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's not just sRGB gamma that doing it. sRGB mode looks a bit different on the gaming eizo monitor than a 6500K 2.2 as a preset, or a calibration target, but using it is alright as long as it is GAMING monitor and not graphics monitor. This is my favorite mode and sRGB gamma target is where I aim when I calibrate a monitor for gaming, including my current catleap for example. Games are designed in that mode, that is an industry standard. No game is made with 2.0 gamma or with wide gamut in mind.
Eizo deliberately makes the colors look dull, because it helps distinguish different color gradations.
when I don't calibrate gamma my GDM-FW900 image looks gorgeous, alive and real and when I calibrate it to sRGB gamma everything become dull and lifeless. Damn SONY, they did someting so I can't use sRGB and have to use gamma ~2.4 that provide superior image quality in pretty much every content out there, be it games, movies, youtube videos, websites, etc. :mad:

actually its those gaming monitors that have skewed up gamut that make skintones look oversaturated on 2.4 gamma. Good EIZO monitors have sRGB gamut and should be calibrated to ~2.3 for proper colors in content consumption. Playing movies or games at 100% proper sRGB will look shit and it is a fact

10e, can you say games on CG246W look dull compared to FG2421? colorwise.

With the CG246W in sRGB mode they are very close in terms of color saturation. I don't find the CG246W dull at any time. The colors are accurate and with the light matte anti-glare coating I get a good representation in sRGB mode.

I have calibrated using the Eizo software and my I1 Display as well as the built-in colorimeter and they are almost identical. In fact I can use Color Navigator to do a colorimetric comparison between the two colorimeters and it said they are very close with adjustments being extremely small.

I don't have the exact data but the difference in Delta E 94 between the two colorimeters was less than 1, closer to .5.

Right now I'm using L* gamma ramp with sRGB color space and dark colors look great and the gamma is very game-friendly. It is a little different than 2.2 but the differences help in games, especially those with dark colors. I still use both the CG246W and FG2421 in games and am very happy with both, with the only trade-off being almost no motion blur on the FG2421, but better, more accurate and neutral colors on the CG246W.

I still have a A-TW polarized LCD2490WUXI-BK that I've calibrated and the CG246W looks even better, which is saying a lot. It also has less input lag for those sensitive to it. This is the first time that I can say that about any screen as I hold the LCD2490WUXI-BK in very high regard.

Got my CX240.

Everything about it is just awesome, no more IPS Glow, great colors (like my old S2231W).

I also noticed the AG Coating is extremely light compared to my old S2231W and my current EV2436W. It really cannot be noticed at all anymore.

The manufacturing date is 21-06-2013 which is suppost to have the upgraded fan. I kinda doubt this is true tho, i can hear the fan spinning and it's clearly the fan and not air, since the fan doesn't spin that hard at all. It's something i have to deal with. I will most likely make some sort of tunnel to lead the noise upwards. Ill find a way to dampen it :)

Something i noticed is that the Brightness is limited. I would have liked to lower it past 50cd/m2, but this isn't possible. I personally find 50 still bright in a moderate dark room. This is a small downside, but as i said a personal thing.

Last thing i noticed is that the Displayport cable is a Full Sized to Mini, would have liked to see Full Sized on both ends.

Got my CX240.

Everything about it is just awesome, no more IPS Glow, great colors (like my old S2231W).

I also noticed the AG Coating is extremely light compared to my old S2231W and my current EV2436W. It really cannot be noticed at all anymore.

The manufacturing date is 21-06-2013 which is suppost to have the upgraded fan. I kinda doubt this is true tho, i can hear the fan spinning and it's clearly the fan and not air, since the fan doesn't spin that hard at all. It's something i have to deal with. I will most likely make some sort of tunnel to lead the noise upwards. Ill find a way to dampen it :)

Something i noticed is that the Brightness is limited. I would have liked to lower it past 50cd/m2, but this isn't possible. I personally find 50 still bright in a moderate dark room. This is a small downside, but as i said a personal thing.

Last thing i noticed is that the Displayport cable is a Full Sized to Mini, would have liked to see Full Sized on both ends.

Finished making the "air duct" aswell and it makes a HUGE difference.

Hmm, just noticed an anomaly when firing up a dark game.

Gonna get a replacement for sure, this isn't what i paid for :S

HgRWw1Y.jpg

Both EIZO and the Retailer said it's normal for this type of monitor.

So ye, i'm done with EIZO really. They arn't what they used to be anymore.

EIZO is CG----. Anything else is just probably better than Dell hardware-wise.

That really sucks. Don't you have a return period with the retailer?

I can't realize how bad is in real life, it isn't possible to understand the problem with a camera shot.
if you feel that the monitor has a problem, write on facebook, the person who saied you that all is ok will loose his position if it will not change your monitor ;)

I have some experience with eizo assistance and I can say you that facebook page helps more than what you can think :)

Agree with the facebook idea. Strangely they seem faster to respond to facebook posts than actually emailing the company directly. I would think you could return the monitor to the retailer too .... sort of crazy to think such an expensive monitor couldn't be returned/exchanged for bleed. And if Eizo stands by that comment that it's normal for a 1K monitor to have bleed, then yeah, it means it's pointless for anyone to ever buy from Eizo in the first place. In my opinion, no monitor should have bleed, unless it's a cheapo no-name model <$200. High-end Eizos should be perfect.

Back