Echo | By Hannes ~ Highend LC'd PC in a NAS case!?

Hannes F

n00b
Hi [H]ard|Forum!

I'm glad to finally be a member of this community! Took a while to get hold of an email and actually, because of that I've started a similiar site, I'm now able to join ypurs. :-D

I've been working on a PC build for about six months. This build I call Echo and I'm going to show you my progress overtime. I haven't seen any guidelines for the picture size, maybe your forum will re-size 'em automaticly. My picture have a max resolution of 1000px.

My plans are to make a silent, well cooled, powerful and small PC that will not only run great, but look good also. I'm really interested in art, and I would like to say that I'm an above normal creative person. It's interesting for me to see how far I can push reality, with my current skills and machines to keep in line with my mind.

I've previously finished one PC, this was a Lian Li V1000b case and man I love'd it and I think that it turned out pretty sweet. I would love to put my teeth into it once more, but I've sold the parts. :'( I got many great ideas for making it even better than it is.

I'll just give you a taste of that build before I go one talking about the case that this worklog is about.

Previous Build

34iock2.png

34qk2hh.jpg

So.. As I've said, this new build is going to be powerful, small, well cooled and a pleasant sight. The keywords are Art, Performance and Design.

Of course I have some plans for this build.. I mean, I'm going to fit an Highend watercooled gaming PC into a NAS case. It's nuts! ..Or is it just epicly awesome!

The Plan

• Sleeve the PSU with White, Black and wait for it.. Orange Sleeve!
  • Make a Acryl roof/top for the case
  • Re-Mount the PSU inside the case
  • Make a Acryl adapter for the 2.5" drives in the front of the case
  • Fit the LC and hardware in the really smal case
  • Do something innovative and creative with the ingrediences above

Pre-build shots

I waited quite some time for the case, as I've previously stated so there is tons of pictures from that time. I'm not going to post 'em now. Now I'm going to present the real project. The real work at hand.

os8t44.png

Some LC pr0n. :3

mt0406.jpg

2po86yg.jpg

2zo9gza.jpg

maa1at.jpg

15hfmeq.jpg

20uzyau.jpg

sbmp8w.jpg

213fytv.jpg

Some more stuff

4rdr91.jpg

szbpme.jpg

1o585t.jpg

4r3tr5.jpg

2zf69hl.jpg

e0n5li.jpg

nv6q14.jpg

345j8r8.jpg

27x1g7a.jpg

16blw5e.jpg

w9uxw8.jpg

I'm putting some LC and components together.

2cibf49.jpg

25tl34i.jpg

2en98k8.jpg

10elsb7.jpg

2qans6e.jpg

33cbtrl.jpg

2num62e.jpg

2rh5rg5.jpg

vywi95.jpg

vo06kn.jpg

2zr11yc.jpg

244y63n.jpg

292s2zm.jpg

Some fooling around with an old case.

2ljhj6u.jpg

vgt0cz.jpg

30a75mq.jpg

e00bnm.png

rbmg53.jpg

15n95pe.png

11bu8sy.jpg

j7aq9l.jpg

30j0n61.jpg

5js01i.jpg

xpbmkx.jpg

qs4bk6.jpg

fc68i.jpg

1zf64ht.jpg

27ybprl.jpg

302847t.jpg

2lsziip.jpg

2cfwcb8.jpg

2rhwcjm.jpg

Sleeving

24pin ATX

w6yrzb.jpg

2x PCI-e 6pin

25z14pv.jpg

Finished with the sleeving!

2w5pyzm.jpg

The Case

34t7ixi.jpg

r8wbgi.jpg

9rul9e.jpg

2qur7zr.jpg

358ope8.jpg

10o2ljc.jpg

292blvp.jpg

17demo.jpg

2vmwrgy.jpg

The Build

And this is my progress so far. As you can, or cannot see there's alot of work left.

Some BP fittings because EK doesn't have this kind of adapters​

2e6hc0h.jpg

34fz8er.jpg

Enermax fans, these are by far the most beautiful fans I've seen. And yes, I'm going to make a pile of it!
noft6s.jpg

110kftv.jpg

2v1r9fk.jpg

6f9t0l.jpg

It's like playing with lego!

f9dxs3.jpg

The reason I did that pile where to be able to switch the direction of the enermax logo so that it was the same as the EkWb on the rad.
29vnvwl.jpg

Some HW and EkWb LC, love their fittings!
1o2cl2.jpg

But what I don't love with their fittings is that they don't fit in their Reservoar. Some rash decision in the heat of battle made me go rotary-tool on it. Not a good idea when you haven't actually set on which hole is going to be stop plugged and what hole is going to be fitting. Result: I need a new Reservoar.
6o1slu.jpg

A modded, and sleeved Be-Quiet SFX 350w, hopefully I'm able to run this M-F with it.

hrycfa.jpg

Alright, now we're going somewhere, HW and LC is mounted in the Fractal-Design Array NAS case!

30c81sn.jpg

But the LC is in the way of the PSU.. Hmm.. What should I do? Hey, let's mount it inside the case! The PSU isn't mounted yet, and the cablemanagement are just experimental. But this is my idea.
20kxao3.jpg

29qjyx2.jpg

Powdercoated the case white.. Mmm, tasty!

ek0u3p.jpg

25kr0jc.jpg

29em7fc.jpg

ehdao7.jpg

I went with acrylics, not sure why but it just happend that way. Here's is some results. It's still a work in progress but I'm actually doing some progress and it's not just standing still.

I hope you like it, but either way, please give me some reflections on it.

Alright, here's some of my progress! I'm painting the case with acrylics, seen anything like that before? I've still some work left on it, but It's finished enough to show you guys what I've been working on.

2567a0n.jpg

2zz69ug.jpg

2zqeady.jpg

2rf6d15.jpg

2mmff9c.jpg

I'm going to work with some details using a blackmarker pen, I think it will be cool to sort of do a style crossover thingy.

Some outlines, what do you think?

f576g.jpg

302mek0.jpg

Started to do some work on the other side too. :-D

2m27urq.jpg

Alright, welcome to my worklog!​

Damn nice job man on your previous build and your current build! Are those Enermax fans the 120mm or 140mm variant? I have one of the 140mm fans and it's not bad but still a little bit too loud for me. I do love the sleeving job and the way you weaved them instead of the usual sleeving job. Not that there isn't anything wrong with the usual sleeving job. If you don't mind, could you list out the parts of your build?

On another note, loading those pictures made my craptacular DSL connection slow to a crawl, loading some pictures halfway. Had to reload several times :/

way awesome! personally I dont really like the braided sleeving. I think cutting them more to length and running them straight would look better, my only suggestion, and its a imho one. great work though!

Stunning! I love the weave on the uni-sleeved wiring, not sure I prefer it in the end but I LOVE the fact that you actually did something different that looks beautiful. Cannot wait to see this finished. Fabulous job man.

nice work

Thanks!

Damn nice job man on your previous build and your current build! Are those Enermax fans the 120mm or 140mm variant? I have one of the 140mm fans and it's not bad but still a little bit too loud for me. I do love the sleeving job and the way you weaved them instead of the usual sleeving job. Not that there isn't anything wrong with the usual sleeving job. If you don't mind, could you list out the parts of your build?

On another note, loading those pictures made my craptacular DSL connection slow to a crawl, loading some pictures halfway. Had to reload several times :/

Thank you! On my previous build I used 120mm Enermax Magmas. They made some noise but moved a lot of air. On Echo I also used 120mm fans from Enermax, but I can't ever remember what they're named. They're really quiet but don't move as much air.

I'm sorry bout the number of pictures, but since it was quite a task to become a member here I've done quite alot on this build and therefor had alot to share. ^^,

way awesome! personally I dont really like the braided sleeving. I think cutting them more to length and running them straight would look better, my only suggestion, and its a imho one. great work though!

It's a matter of personal taste I guess. I like the looks of my sleeving and it's not gonna change, tho I do understand your point. This build isn't made to be clean in that matter of speaking, it's about art and innovation. :)

Stunning! I love the weave on the uni-sleeved wiring, not sure I prefer it in the end but I LOVE the fact that you actually did something different that looks beautiful. Cannot wait to see this finished. Fabulous job man.

Thanks bro! I'm certain that it will look alot more thought through when finished. :)

Nice work, but as was mentioned, they're too big! Not resolution-wise, but file size. A 600x1000 pic should not be 700k. I think the issue is they're saved as .pngs, which aren't ideal for this sort of image. Try saving as .jpgs on a medium-high setting. Should cut the file size by two-thirds or more.

Nice work, but as was mentioned, they're too big! Not resolution-wise, but file size. A 600x1000 pic should not be 700k. I think the issue is they're saved as .pngs, which aren't ideal for this sort of image. Try saving as .jpgs on a medium-high setting. Should cut the file size by two-thirds or more.

Thank you!

But that will make them such less crispy. But you're right. This haven't been a problem before as they've been continously updated throughout the thread. But now they're all on one page. Future pictures, and some of the older is saved in a smaller resolution. I want the pictures to be crispy and that's why they've been saved in PNG. No real idea shooting them in RAW(NEF) if you were to save them in lowQuality Jpg's I were actually able to load them fairly fast on my mobile internet so it shouldn't be such a big problem. right now.

Holy junk nice build

Thank you! :D

it's an awesome build but the artwork on the case is a bit distracting

Cute put0r, I think there's too much emphasis on the plumbing and wire decoration, both of which have nothing to do with computing or performance.

Cute put0r, I think there's too much emphasis on the plumbing and wire decoration, both of which have nothing to do with computing or performance.

It has alot to do with my way of building a PC and is my way to do something original. Of course it will be a lot of focus on what I do that no-one else've done.

If you want to know anything about the hardware or the performance, please ask. :)

the artwork is not as pro as the cabling etc

Sleeving and building a PC is in a way a work of art, but it's not that personal. When painting there's no way to not add your own "soul", your own personal touch. This was the first time painting with acrylics and I think it's turning out quite nicely. Of course this is a work in progress and I''ve a lot of things to finalize on the painting. It might be distracting if you're not looking at the rig as a whole.

WOW very Impressive man!

Thanks bro! :)

Sleeving and building a PC is in a way a work of art, but it's not that personal. When painting there's no way to not add your own "soul", your own personal touch. This was the first time painting with acrylics and I think it's turning out quite nicely. Of course this is a work in progress and I''ve a lot of things to finalize on the painting. It might be distracting if you're not looking at the rig as a whole.

I think he meant that it distracts from the overall build quality. If you had left the case blank (aka white), it would have more balanced and less of an eye sore.

It's your build, you can do whatever you want.
:cool:

I think he meant that it distracts from the overall build quality. If you had left the case blank (aka white), it would have more balanced and less of an eye sore.

It's your build, you can do whatever you want.
:cool:

Yeah, I did understand what he meant. I just wanted to explain my action.

Of course, eye sore is all perspective. Others may view this as being downright awesome the way it is.

Hannes, I have seen your work before, congrats on being on the [H]ardforum and I hope to see a lot more from you. Great work so far.

EDIT: BTW, love your orange sleeving. Can you tell me what brand that is? I tried a couple and I didn't like them, but yours looks great!

Of course, eye sore is all perspective. Others may view this as being downright awesome the way it is.

Hannes, I have seen your work before, congrats on being on the [H]ardforum and I hope to see a lot more from you. Great work so far.

EDIT: BTW, love your orange sleeving. Can you tell me what brand that is? I tried a couple and I didn't like them, but yours looks great!

Hi Brasherman! So far I love it here! Haven't had much time to look outside my buildlog but I'll take time.. Sometime. :-P I've begun on an other project over here. Still doing some modifications to the case before powdercoating it.

The reason why I haven't got any updates for you folks is because of that I've very little sparetime right now. I'm attending university to become a teacher and right now we're out in schools and trying to learn by doing. In the field.

The sleeving is MDPC-X sleeve, The only one I've ever been 100% satisfied with. Nils is also a great guy. :-D

solidBladez hit the answer on the head, but it is still a wicked nice computer

What camera are you using to take those? They look excellent!

And that first red/black build.... absolute drool. WOW

solidBladez hit the answer on the head, but it is still a wicked nice computer

It's my way of personalize my computer. I've understood that some feel different than I on how I'm designing this PC. I've had the conversation, or rather debate on other forums with people believing that I'm destroying my work, or aren't a skilled enough artist to make the build justice. I'm glad however that you people on this forum seem to understand that it's my build and that I haven't asked to be criticized on such personal level. Painting is an ability, and something you'll need to practice quite a bit to get good at, even if you're a natural talent. That's why it's rather hurtful when people, even with all kindness in mind says that my painting isn't as good as the rig itself.

I do understand however that on forums you'll receive comments about everything, and that's whats making it interesting to read and to share your work. So this is my way of saying that I respect your thoughts and ideas so keep 'em coming. :)

What camera are you using to take those? They look excellent!

And that first red/black build.... absolute drool. WOW

I'm using a Nikon D40 with a 18-55 objective (lens?). Not the best camera, but it's easy to use and that's whats most important to me that don't have the time nor energy to really learn how to use, example the D300, which I also are able to use if I wanted to. Both cameras are my girlfriends.

The red/black build was my first build that I cared about the estetics. I'm quite proud of it. It's sold in pieces so it is quite dead. :-(

It's my way of personalize my computer. I've understood that some feel different than I on how I'm designing this PC. I've had the conversation, or rather debate on other forums with people believing that I'm destroying my work, or aren't a skilled enough artist to make the build justice. I'm glad however that you people on this forum seem to understand that it's my build and that I haven't asked to be criticized on suI'm using a Nikon D40 with a 18-55 objective (lens?). Not the best camera, but it's easy to use and that's whats most important to me that don't have the time nor energy to really learn how to use, example the D300, which I also are able to use if I wanted to. Both cameras are my girlfriends.

The red/black build was my first build that I cared about the estetics. I'm quite proud of it. It's sold in pieces so it is quite dead. :-(

Same camera I use as well, perhaps I need to learn how to use that one more, those pictures look great and very professional!

In all honesty, visually that red/black one is one of my favorites I have seen! Red and black really make me tick, and you NAILED it!

It has alot to do with my way of building a PC and is my way to do something original. Of course it will be a lot of focus on what I do that no-one else've done.

If you want to know anything about the hardware or the performance, please ask. :)

I've wanted to use WHITE oil-based marker on the outside of my black Lian-Lis... and just draw stuff, sort of like your signature. It IS art, though I don't like the idea of turning a PC into jewelry.

I found some white sharpie markers on Amazon, but too expensive to experiment with. I think I may just dent the side panels and turn them into sculpture instead.

Not a fan of the braided sleeving. The case looked MUCH better before being painted white and with the artwork applied. I personally just would have left the brushed aluminum texture alone!

I HEAVILY agree that the interior has a better presence than the exterior because it is not painted. Personality isn't bad, its just that the paint job went a little overboard and just doesn't look as professional as the rest. An accent graphic would have been of better taste.

I know for oil painting that it's frowned upon to let the canvas bleed through the paint. Any plans on applying a heavier coat of paint?

Overall I think I got less impressed as the post developed. I was a fan of the first case, the previous build. Your latest build just didn't hit me at all.

Whenever I see something like this, I wanna just jump out of my seat and go mod something! :D

Great work. Some people may say "Oh yea the PC is amazing and your artwork brings it down" That's there opinion. I like it, no matter what, Thank you very much for posting it up as it was alot of work and like I said, it makes me want to go mod something. I really can't give it higher praise then that.

Oh man! Thank you all for such great response! No matter if it's negative or positive, I'm thankful either way.

Same camera I use as well, perhaps I need to learn how to use that one more, those pictures look great and very professional!

In all honesty, visually that red/black one is one of my favorites I have seen! Red and black really make me tick, and you NAILED it!

Yeah, they're quite underrated actually. You'll just need to balance your shutter and blender. :) Use as low ISO value as you can and also use a tripod. Shot many pictures with different settings and just fool around. :) Practise makes perfect. :)

I've wanted to use WHITE oil-based marker on the outside of my black Lian-Lis... and just draw stuff, sort of like your signature. It IS art, though I don't like the idea of turning a PC into jewelry.

I found some white sharpie markers on Amazon, but too expensive to experiment with. I think I may just dent the side panels and turn them into sculpture instead.

Not a bad idea with the markers. Engraving maybe is to hard? A pen is a rather easy tool to use so the end result could be more than perfect tho. :)

I'm speechless! Subscribed!

Appreciated!

Not a fan of the braided sleeving. The case looked MUCH better before being painted white and with the artwork applied. I personally just would have left the brushed aluminum texture alone!

I HEAVILY agree that the interior has a better presence than the exterior because it is not painted. Personality isn't bad, its just that the paint job went a little overboard and just doesn't look as professional as the rest. An accent graphic would have been of better taste.

I know for oil painting that it's frowned upon to let the canvas bleed through the paint. Any plans on applying a heavier coat of paint?

Overall I think I got less impressed as the post developed. I was a fan of the first case, the previous build. Your latest build just didn't hit me at all.

I had so many plans with this build, to leave it with it's beautiful brushed aluminum finish, to leave it powder-coated white. To not use braided, to hide the sleeving, to have the PSU where it's originally is placed. I chose what I thought would be most developing for me. I'm building for me. I wanted to do an original piece, something to inspire, something for future reference. Well, I think that I've done something that people will use as future references for what not to do, and what to do too. Mission accomplished.

I'm thinking of buying 2 more cases since you can use the same bottom-plate for all and do two more revisions. One plainly original with the black exterior intact and an engraving of my signature in the bottom right. The second case would be powder-coated white and then pinstriped with an vertical orange line on the right side of the front. We'll see what happens.

Whenever I see something like this, I wanna just jump out of my seat and go mod something! :D

Great work. Some people may say "Oh yea the PC is amazing and your artwork brings it down" That's there opinion. I like it, no matter what, Thank you very much for posting it up as it was alot of work and like I said, it makes me want to go mod something. I really can't give it higher praise then that.

I highly appreciate your words Mosher! To inspire others is what I want to do and it feels like such an accomplishment when you're saying that you want to go mod something. :D

Nerd pron ftw :D thanks for sharing

Just don't fap to hard bro! ;-) Thank you for commenting!

Nice work. I'm impressed by both builds. Wish I could paint :(

You probably can. :)

Beautiful shots. This should be marked as NSFW, it's porn.

<3

What case is this? the power button looks like a lian li but I cant find it on their website.

I got some updates from the workshop!

W8 w00t!? I've cleaned the case!
122oh3a.jpg

Some bling bling
24xf1nm.jpg

The power of the dremel.
erjxhv.jpg

I think the result is quite nice, what do you think?
2crki2s.jpg

I got some more cleaning to do in tight areas, but overall, it was pretty easy. Thank good it's powder-coated, the paint-job withstood my wrath!

Art in one form or another may not be appreciated by all but the important thing is weather it suits your tastes and likes when your the creator. I will not lie in saying I do like it better with just the White powder coat though. Awesome work in any respect though.

Art in one form or another may not be appreciated by all but the important thing is weather it suits your tastes and likes when your the creator. I will not lie in saying I do like it better with just the White powder coat though. Awesome work in any respect though.

Thank you! I do like it better white too.

Love the sleeving! I wish there was still a place in the states to order that sleeving from but oh well. Looks great. Not a huge fan of the braided look but to each his own right. Good Work!

Back