EC Grants $361M In Aid To AMD For Fab Upgrades

HardOCP News

[H] News
The European Commission has just approved $361M in aid to AMD to upgrade its Eastern Germany-based wafer fabs.

The European Commission (EC) today announced that it has authorized $361 million (262 million Euros) in aid, which the German authorities intend to grant to AMD for the conversion and extension of its existing micro-processor wafer plants in Dresden, the capital city of the German state of Saxony..

yay.. *sigh of relief* As much as some people might look down on this sort of hand-out, in the business world its pretty common.. and I dont like the thought of a monopoly in the x86 microprocessor market, we've already been there, and it brought us stagnation in technological advances. Yay for AMD.

Wait wait.... oh man, nvm, I'm not even going to say it. They are so uptight about un-fair advantages... but then you get this. Oops, I said it...

On another note:
Glad AMD is getting helped out a little, they need it.

Wow, for so someone so normally well spoken I never thought you'd say something so dumb Ockie.

Whats unfair about development aid? If Intel were building a new Fab they'd get massive grants as well.

Intel's fabs in Ireland have been hugely subsidised and Intel probably barely pay a penny of tax in Ireland as well. There's nothing wrong with a government encouraging development to increase exports/ create jobs.

Wow, for so someone so normally well spoken I never thought you'd say something so dumb Ockie.

Whats unfair about development aid? If Intel were building a new Fab they'd get massive grants as well.

Intel's fabs in Ireland have been hugely subsidised and Intel probably barely pay a penny of tax in Ireland as well. There's nothing wrong with a government encouraging development to increase exports/ create jobs.

The EU is/are a bunch of hypocrites.

You mean kinda like how they are helping Airbus right? Then you see companies like Microsoft, Apple, and Boeing being constantly scrutinized (and accused of unfair advantage) for providing superior products into their market.... not to mention are being fined constantly.

I'm sorry, but you can't go suing one group becuase they are stronger and then helping out the other group, doesn't make much sense. Companies should get up by themselfs, the way the EU basically told Microsoft, Boeing, and Apple to do.

As for intel Fab locations:

Intel has 15 wafer fabs in production worldwide at nine locations. Fab production sites within the United States are located in Chandler, Ariz.; Santa Clara, Calif.; Colorado Springs, Colo.; Hudson, Mass.; Rio Rancho, N.M.; and Hillsboro, Ore.; and outside the United States in Leixlip, Ireland; Jerusalem, Israel; and Kiryal Gat, Israel. Two new fabs are under construction at existing sites in Arizona and Israel.

The company has six assembly and test sites worldwide and is building a seventh, all of them outside the U.S. Assembly and test sites outside the United States are located in Shanghai, China; Chengdu, China; San Jose, Costa Rica; Kulim, Malaysia; Penang, Malaysia; and Cavite, Philippines. An assembly and testing site in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, is under construction. There is one testing facility and one assembly development facility inside the U.S.
- Intel.com

AMD Fabs:
Austin, Dresden, Singapore, Suzhou

Companies should get up by themselfs (sic), the way the EU basically told Microsoft, Boeing, and Apple to do.

Eeeehhh... yes and no. After all, I think the winner in this will be us, if this grant will help AMD crack those lower fabrication technologies (e.g., 45nm and etc.)

Eeeehhh... yes and no. After all, I think the winner in this will be us, if this grant will help AMD crack those lower fabrication technologies (e.g., 45nm and etc.)

Well we will always be the winner in the end, and like I said it's a good thing someone is helping AMD. My problem is the group who is helping them and their objectives.

Here you can find some Intel vs EU, which makes the purpose of the grant even more shady IMO. If Intel keeps being sued along with other companies, it's not really going to help our sake of competition in the sense that the lawsuit costs has to be eaten up somehow... which is usually transformed into costs for the consumers. So yeah, gives us better deals but basically turns the tables unjustly. If a business model is failing, there is no reason to pump more money into the model unless if the motive is purely political. What should be done is the business model should be changed and the focus should be redefined.

http://www.disco-tech.org/2007/01/eu_vs_intel.html

Make no mistake, I believe a grant to AMD is in order, as they are tanking. However, I don't believe a grand should be in order to "level the playing field" all while the competitor is being sued from all sides.... that does not level any playing field IMO.

Anyways, it's just my rant and my two cents.

Make no mistake, I believe a grant to AMD is in order, as they are tanking. However, I don't believe a grand should be in order to "level the playing field" all while the competitor is being sued from all sides.... that does not level any playing field IMO.

Makes sense to me. I see nothing wrong with your assessment. :)

Corporate welfare and corporate bribery to keep them from outsourcing jobs... or Corporate Extortion... pay me or Ill take my jobs to Malaysia :eek: :p :D

Guess it pays. Course, now they'll pull the same thing here, get no response, and move manufacturing out of Cali/AZ to Malaysia/Vietnam :rolleyes:

Wait wait.... oh man, nvm, I'm not even going to say it. They are so uptight about un-fair advantages... but then you get this. Oops, I said it...

On another note:
Glad AMD is getting helped out a little, they need it.

So Intel finally gave their fans something to buy after 6 years. Intel lemmings.... :p

LOL@ capitalism not working...getting handouts from the government.If it wasn't for tax payer dollars these companies MS, Nvidia, etc would have nothing...

LOL@ capitalism not working...getting handouts from the government.If it wasn't for tax payer dollars these companies MS, Nvidia, etc would have nothing...

Uh huh... And where would you be if it wasn't for those companies? Still got that old Brother typewriter around? :rolleyes:

Where would we be......

Running opensource bulletproof Unix varient on a 8Ghz 64 core 68040 varient and prolly the same video cards.

MS has held back the progress of Mankind and should be assessed a penalty of $100 billion for doing so. They can pay the next supplemental for the Iraq war...mmmmK.:eek: :p :D

A good sign for AMD? Did the world go through a tangental wormhole and reverse everything? Finally uplifting and good news for AMD.

Where would we be......

Running opensource bulletproof Unix varient on a 8Ghz 64 core 68040 varient and prolly the same video cards.

MS has held back the progress of Mankind and should be assessed a penalty of $100 billion for doing so. They can pay the next supplemental for the Iraq war...mmmmK.:eek: :p :D

QFT!

We would also have flying cars with no traffic, and there would be no aids, cancer, heart disease, or war. In fact, nobody would ever be sad, hurting, or hungry, and flowers would grow out of everything all the time due to the constantly perfect weather.

MS shouldn't be fined, they should be emasculated. Science needs to come up with a human embodiment of MS so that we can cut off their junk, and then fine them. I think MS might have teamed up with President Bush to pull off 9/11.

Did you even read my post where I pointed out that Intel themselves have received hundreds of millions in EU grants for development?

Whatever, just another biased US rant against the EU where you chose to completely ignore my point.

And do you actually think that the EU, a vast sprawling, retarded bureaucracy have any Idea that the Core Architecture is better than whatever AMD have out right now?

This is development aid, to pump up the local economy of that area and make some jobs. Simple as

Back