eBay - Refurbished Hitachi Ultrastar 2 TB $30 - Free 2 Day USPS Priority

those are tempting, let us know how the come, from the listing it says if they are white label drives the 1 year warranty is through the seller not hgst.

Running a surface scan now... Drive 1/8

Attachments

• Surface_test.PNG
    Surface_test.PNG
    145.9 KB · Views: 70
those are tempting, let us know how the come, from the listing it says if they are white label drives the 1 year warranty is through the seller not hgst.

White label drives are almost always through the sell.

One of drives is reporting only 97 hours of runtime... that can't be right... can it?

One of drives is reporting only 97 hours of runtime... that can't be right... can it?

Clearly aliens are involved here.

Also means the drive could have died after 97 hours and now it's been fixed and you are stuck with it.

Clearly aliens are involved here.

Also means the drive could have died after 97 hours and now it's been fixed and you are stuck with it.

I must have had too may beers last night... it says ~7,000 hours. oops.

Not sure if you guys remember when Target was selling the 2TB Western Digital My Book or the older externals whatever they were called, about 5 years ago now it was kind of a lottery internally you either got a Western Digital Black or Western Digital Green. I bought 8 and out of the 8 five them were Western Digital Black the other three got returned. Four of the five WD Blacks failed within the first year and the last drive failed within the last year keep in mind all of these were refurbs so ever since then I try to keep away from refurbished drives. My experience isn't everybody else's experience but I have a friend that also purchased some of those 2 out of his 3 failed. All those above mentioned drives were pulled from their enclosures and used internally.

Some people on Reddit jumped on these, and they got everything from 20,000 hours to 20 hours.

Depends what batch you get, I guess...if you caught them as they were trying to increase storage density instead of pre-emptive maintenance, then you got lucky.

I picked up 8. I have 3 in use so far. I haven't check runtime but Stablebit scanner hasn't complained about them.

They cam in a nice multi drive carrier box. Very secure. Pleased with my purchase.

I've had mine in my PS4 since I tested it. I'm using the databank. it was working great until my ps4 just shut down. Turned out it got too hot, i could barely touch the hard drive! I dremeled some slots in the side of the databank, cut out a hole in the top, put a fan on there, and it is running a lot better, and hasn't shut off since. This was about a week ago that it shut down, so it's had ample time to do it again, which thankfully it hasn't.

In the process of testing 8 of them.

EDIT: All are "GOOD" with SMART data. Most are 25-35 "powered on", and about 20-25K hours. 16TB for $240 isn't too shabby.

Going to put these in a massive NAS array for non-critical data backups (media).

My only problem with so many drives, is that on OSX (which I use for iTunes + ZFS) is it spins the drives up sequentially which is good for the power supply.....but 10 drives takes like a minute to all spin up. I have thought about ways to cut down to 3 or 4 drives just to keep that time down.

My only problem with so many drives, is that on OSX (which I use for iTunes + ZFS) is it spins the drives up sequentially which is good for the power supply.....but 10 drives takes like a minute to all spin up. I have thought about ways to cut down to 3 or 4 drives just to keep that time down.

Woundn't a media server system like that be powered on all the time making the power on drive spin up time a minor inconvenience?

Woundn't a media server system like that be powered on all the time making the power on drive spin up time a minor inconvenience?
not if you want the drives to spin down for power saving, which, with 10 drives, is significant power.

Ya as that guy said, 10 drives puts off a lot of heat. I used to do that when I only 2-3 drives. But the room the computer was in was noticeably warmer, plus it's not worth it for something that is realistically only used 10% of the time.

I bought 10 of these drives to stuff in my home fileserver and they all seem to be fine. Just got around to checking them out and they mostly have between 17,000 and 24,000 hours on them with power on counts in the 10's and 20's. SMART status on 7 of them was fine while 3 of the drives showed caution due to some reallocated sectors. There were no uncorrectable errors reported in the SMART status so I think they'll be fine in a RAID 1. Some folks have said that the 17,000 - 24,000 hours on the drives is a bad thing but I have Seagate 2TB Enterprise drives that have 60,000+ operational hours on them so I don't think 17,000 - 24,000 hours on these Hitachi drives is going to be that big a deal.

We'll see. :)

EDIT: Correction, the drives I have with over 60,000 hours are 500GB Seagate drives. My 2TB Seagate drives are all in the 30,000 - 50,000 range.

if anybody is interested newegg via ebay has them for sale again for $29.99 although these are the 32Mb cache free shipping.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
if anybody is interested newegg via ebay has them for sale again for $29.99 although these are the 32Mb cache free shipping.

Impulse bought 5 of these (it didn't help that I've been kicking myself for missing the first sale), but how different are these compared to the 64MB version? Is performance about the same?

In for one.

EDIT: Interesting, both my rigs have these drives in them already. Same model. Got them back in 2011... Great drives! These never go out of style.

Last edited:
Guys deal is back again via ebay (newegg front store) for $29.99 for HGST HUA723020ALA641 2TB-7200-RPM-64MB-Cache free Economy Shipping 5 limit purchase
In for another 4 of these drives to keep as spare drives in case some of me freeNAS 2TB crap out on me :confused:o_O:rolleyes:

unlike other listings in the past, this one appears to have no warranty..it does have a 30 day return policy if it has been unopened.. nothing in the listing that I can find says that they will warranty it at all .

with that being said, I believe anyone purchasing one of these should be covered under Ebays 30 day policy as the drive is advertised as mfg refurbished.

Edit: I ended up buying one.

Last edited:
unlike other listings in the past, this one appears to have no warranty..it does have a 30 day return policy if it has been unopened.. nothing in the listing that I can find says that they will warranty it at all .

with that being said, I believe anyone purchasing one of these should be covered under Ebays 30 day policy as the drive is advertised as mfg refurbished.

If it helps I just spoke with newegg the drives have little over 60 days in warranty.

"Kayla L.: The item warranty will be until January 31, 2017. I am happy to help void this order but once it is cancelled, it will take 3-5 business days to process the refund back to your original payment method. "

I ordered 4 drives from Newegg via eBay. Three of the four drives powered up and showed less than 25 power on count and less than 350 hours :woot:

Is the mailing process a risk for these drives? Like, HDDs can be sensitive... I wouldn't want one to break from being thrown around while being delivered.

I bought around 20 or so of these drives in the pass 8 months or so (difference sellers same model #) all had come well protected not a single one died on me or came with dead sectors etc.

At the beginning some of the sellers where shipping them pretty bad however the problem was fix after several people complain. You can read all about it over server home forums there's a huge thread over there regarding these drives.

Well the drive came in today.. Hooked it up.. brrrrr click.. brrrr click...brr click... on 2 different computers. Made alot of noise winding up too. Psssshh.. Already started a return with Ebay.

Back