Ebay flooded with fake GPUs

I must chime in and say you are 1000% wrong on this statement. Everything from China is straight up cheaper than what you could get made elsewhere, but none of it is better. If you aren't able to see the differences in craftsmanship, engineering, and materials, then the products from China are about the same as everywhere else. Under no circumstances on this Earth has a product from China been better than from any other country. People who set up factories there understand that the only reason to do it there is for cheap labor. People who want quality set up factories elsewhere.

As for the actual topic... eBay is loaded up with knockoffs and has been for years. Sometimes you don't need a quality item. The example I always use is cell phone cases fifteen years ago when the only purpose of the case was to change the color (faceplate we called it). I'd get mine from China for $4 while many people got them in the mall for $30. It's not just mall markup, the expensive ones lasted longer and didn't scratch as easy. The paint would peel off of mine in 6 months. Did I care? No, I bought cheap on purpose and after six months I'd just buy a different color.
If you want something to actually perform well, buy from a trusted brand and never buy anything with no brand name whether it's from China or NJ. Quality products always have a brand, inferior products almost never do.

None of it is better? seriously? Try buying ANY good phone made in the USA period. You cannot find a high end phone at all. They tried the motox and eventually gave up. And that phone wasn't better than the high end devices, ironically it was cheaper though lol. If the products are even the same as you claim but they are cheaper from China that means they are better. If I can produce the same exact product and quality cheaper why would I pay more for it?

There are tons of products in textiles, electronics, ceramics and so on where the machinery and skilled labor force to produce it does not compete in the USA at all any more and the best state of the art techniques machines and labor are in China. And they are quickly closing the gap in many other areas. Get used to it. Cheap labor is even cheaper in places like Vietnam, Africa etc.... Why don't they just produce it there? Because simply they don't have the skill, infrastructure, or security. So yes I stand by my point lots of things that are made in China are the best hands down. Some of them are the best at any price point. But the reality is you have to compare reasonably comparable price points. For instance I once went to the store when I was ignorant like you and I was looking for a garden hose nozzle. There I was looking through all of them in the reasonably price range of sub $20. I found only 1 that was made in the USA and it was a little more expensive than the ones made in China so I bought it. That thing was the biggest piece of shit I ever owned. There I was duped just like the US auto companies screwed everyone through the 90s into thinking USA meant quality. In reality the Chinese one was superior in every way and cheaper.

I bought a GTX 770 2GB 384-bit for $169 (shipped) from ebay about a week ago, installed it, and it seems to be working fine. How can you tell if its fake? I'm getting over 100fps in CS:GO, but I was also getting that on my i5 4670k GPU. Under settings it says its a "770", is there a way they could have put " 770" in the GPUs profile even if its not?

I bought a GTX 770 2GB 384-bit for $169 (shipped) from ebay about a week ago, installed it, and it seems to be working fine. How can you tell if its fake? I'm getting over 100fps in CS:GO, but I was also getting that on my i5 4670k GPU. Under settings it says its a "770", is there a way they could have put " 770" in the GPUs profile even if its not?

do a benchmark and compare it to other legit 770s

CS:GO isn't GPU-intensive...

Use a gpu benchmark tool. I prefer valley benchmark for testing every gpu i use but there are several good ones for free.

Please run then benchmarks, I'm dying to know!

Also, shouldn't GPU-Z show you some more info?

I was searching for a cheap HTPC card and ran across these on ebay. lol @ the memory bandwidth on the screenshot in the OP. It's about 16% of what a real 770 gives.

Are these actually counterfeit or are they just lesser models branded/name-flashed as higher ones?

I keep seeing that these are "made in a factory after hours" but I highly doubt that...

Are these actually counterfeit or are they just lesser models branded/name-flashed as higher ones?

I keep seeing that these are "made in a factory after hours" but I highly doubt that...

They are lesser models. The specs listed are not as good as the actual cards. Since the sellers are listing the real specs it gives them some wiggle room with ebay disputes.

They are lesser models. The specs listed are not as good as the actual cards. Since the sellers are listing the real specs it gives them some wiggle room with ebay disputes.
It shouldn't, because the product name doesn't match the official specs. That means it should not exist and is counterfeit.

Ebay doesnt always side with the seller. I won an auction for an ungraded baseball card that was not the card pictured in the auction. Condition is everything in cards. I disputed it and lost. There was no mention in the description that the pic was not the actual card.

Whoa. That's some doodoo bandwidth. lol Surely no one actually falls for this. Thanks for the alert.

Why do you think people keep spamming with nigerian scams? They work, it is a numbers game, they spam million people, 5 reply, they made their money.

Same with this, how many people may buy them, and not know any better, or imply feel too stupid to report it or send it back?

It works, why they do it, sucker born every second this day in age it seems.

I make a living buying and selling on eBay. Half of the time if a deal is too good to be true, it is. (Thank god for ebay buyer guarantees) But half of the time I can't believe how lucky I get.

Last year some hong kong seller with 100% feedback and literally thousands of reviews and items for sale had 2 GTX 680's up for $150 each. Needless to say I bought them instantly as I had never seen fake GPU's before. Well they ended up being 8800 GT's or something like that just with a GTX 680 sticker. I opened an eBay case, got my money back, got 2 free 8800 GT's :p

Ebay doesnt always side with the seller. I won an auction for an ungraded baseball card that was not the card pictured in the auction. Condition is everything in cards. I disputed it and lost. There was no mention in the description that the pic was not the actual card.

Ebay almost always sides with the buyer in a dispute, regardless of how outrageous their claim is. It's so bad that I just always accept returns -- it's just easier that way.

I think Ima try to sell this video card I have that has 1000gb of ddr6, dual neuro net processors and quad flux compositors. Starting bid 99 cents.

This "sucker born every minute" and "if a deal is too good to be true" stuff really is a red herring issue. The real issue is how Ebay is clearly profiting from the dispersal of counterfeit items. If it were serious about cracking down it wouldn't be flooded.

Some of these items are quite expensive. Just because something is fake doesn't mean it's offered for a low price. Some of the fake Wilson tennis racquets are sold for full retail and are well-disguised with fake tags and everything. What this also means is that good values are obscured by the fakes, which makes buying from Ebay less attractive. It's bad business all around. The only people who benefit are the counterfeiters.

But, it seems like Ebay wants higher fees and higher volume of counterfeit items.

EBay Ordered to Pay $61 Million in Sale of Counterfeit Goods

LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, a maker of high-end goods and fashion and luxury products, successfully challenged eBay for a second time in the French court, arguing that 90 percent of the Louis Vuitton bags and Dior perfumes sold on eBay are fakes.

The court ruled Monday that eBay, which earns a commission on the sales, was not doing enough to stamp out counterfeit sales.

In 2004, Tiffany & Company sued eBay in New York after concluding that 83 percent of its products sold on the auction site were counterfeit.

Counterfeiting exploded after the company expanded to China in 2004.
Sounds familiar... article from 2008. Ebay claimed that 95% of counterfeit items are removed before the end of the auction. Riiight...

It shouldn't, because the product name doesn't match the official specs. That means it should not exist and is counterfeit.

I know I'm late on the reply but.... I agree that it shouldn't but it could be argued that the customer ordered GTX 770 with 2gb and a 384 bit bus as listed in the specs. They got a card that is detected as a GTX 770 with 2gb and a 384 bit bus, exactly what they bought. You can then make a case that the card is a counterfeit and shouldn't have been on ebay in the first place but you are now fighting a 2 sided battle instead of a simple "item not as describe" dispute.

I know I'm late on the reply but.... I agree that it shouldn't but it could be argued that the customer ordered GTX 770 with 2gb and a 384 bit bus as listed in the specs. They got a card that is detected as a GTX 770 with 2gb and a 384 bit bus, exactly what they bought. You can then make a case that the card is a counterfeit and shouldn't have been on ebay in the first place but you are now fighting a 2 sided battle instead of a simple "item not as describe" dispute.
So, if someone buys a 2014 Cadillac and gets Pinto with a sticker on it that says "2014 Cadillac" the buyer got what they ordered?

Hacking cards to fake the spec detection is fraud.

I only found fifteen of the fake 650s this time with the "384-bit" memory and the blue fans. One listing is from Canada.

I didn't find any of the fake 770s with the white fans.

However, there is an interesting "DEMON" 660 fake with red fans.

I haven't yet seen fake 970s but I'm sure they're coming. I haven't looked much into the current state of the fake GPUs but I thought I'd do a quick search.

I've seen these fake GPUs before. It doesn't run near to the specs the originals run at. It runs and GPU-Z shows it to be higher end GPUs but benchmarks will not be there.

On a seperate note, a lot of Chinese are buying baby formula here and shipping it back to China because of the big scare with the fake baby formula.

Shouldn't Nvidia or AMD put hologram stickers on their cards to deter people from buying the fakes?

Can we have Made in USA for american market, and the other countries can have the made in china stuff. lol.

Back