EB Games Putting New & Used Games Together?

im so glad i just stick with steam and amazon now screw gamestop they are the EA and Ubisoft of retail

Can't say I've ever bought a used game. Always thought it's better to get a brand new unplayed copy. Stores are getting pretty shady since they lost a lot of their business to e-tailers.

All the more reason for me to stay away from retail store. These days I get all my games online.

No risk of getting disc full of the employee's fingerprints or cd-keys that have been used.:rolleyes:

Got a problem with used book sales too don't you?

Book stores don't put used copies on top of new copies so they can try and sell the used copies instead of the new copies. In fact, book stores only sell new books, if you want used books you go to a book store that sells only used books.

No one minds GS selling a used game and making profit.

Game publishers very much mind. I don't mind but I boycott EBG/GS anyway so they won't be conning me into buying a used game for only $5.00 less than new.

I don't care if I receive a used copy as long as it works like a new copy.

Used copies sometimes have a MP code that has already been used, previous owner probably read the manual while taking a dump, disk may be scratched and items may be missing. No thanks.

I work at an EB Games and our district manager has said that this is being considered but that there are many within the company who oppose it so nothings final right now.

So I went into my EB last night just to see the "proclaimed" trickery you all are talking about. They have already converted to the new style. The labels are clear and easy to read and it isn't hard to figure out if the game is new or used. The price label (Which Everyone is going to look at) has it clearly marked that the game is either new or used. I also went ahead and confirmed that they would gladly hand anyone a factory sealed new copy of any game without hesitation if requested.

So once again, most of you are letting your blind hate of a company make you look like idiots by spouting off uninformed garbage. It isn't fraud or even deceptive practices. It is simple marketing to showcase the thing they make the most profit off in an attempt at encouraging more used game sales.

Seriously..some of you are unbelievable.

I also went ahead and confirmed that they would gladly hand anyone a factory sealed new copy of any game without hesitation if requested.

So once again, most of you are letting your blind hate of a company make you look like idiots by spouting off uninformed garbage. It isn't fraud or even deceptive practices. It is simple marketing to showcase the thing they make the most profit off in an attempt at encouraging more used game sales.

Seriously..some of you are unbelievable.

I disagree. They are trying to sell you a used game for the new game price.

For one thing, I shouldn't have to "request" a new copy when paying full price, if I'm paying full price I *EXPECT* a new copy. It is deceptive in that common business practice is full price for new products, lower prices for used products. You wouldn't buy a used car for the same price as a new one would you?

Do me a favor, go on the streets and ask people if they were buying something, and the cost was $60, if given the choice they'd want a new "gadget x" or a used "gadget x", exact same model #. I challenge you to find me one person who'd take the used item.

New is always a better product when dealing with games. How do I know some guy (or girl), wasn't reading the manual while taking a dump? See: 1 in 6 cellphones contaminated with fecal matter. Scratches? I've seen how people handle their games. Yeah, they guarantee the game plays, but guess what... I don't want to have to waste gas and time driving to the store to replace a game because someone else mishandled it. Multi player passes? Great you just paid full price for a game that you can't even play MP on because someone else used the code, lol. Used is never the same as new.

I disagree. They are trying to sell you a used game for the new game price.

For one thing, I shouldn't have to "request" a new copy when paying full price, if I'm paying full price I *EXPECT* a new copy. It is deceptive in that common business practice is full price for new products, lower prices for used products. You wouldn't buy a used car for the same price as a new one would you?

Do me a favor, go on the streets and ask people if they were buying something, and the cost was $60, if given the choice they'd want a new "gadget x" or a used "gadget x", exact same model #. I challenge you to find me one person who'd take the used item.

New is always a better product when dealing with games. How do I know some guy (or girl), wasn't reading the manual while taking a dump? See: 1 in 6 cellphones contaminated with fecal matter. Scratches? I've seen how people handle their games. Yeah, they guarantee the game plays, but guess what... I don't want to have to waste gas and time driving to the store to replace a game because someone else mishandled it. Multi player passes? Great you just paid full price for a game that you can't even play MP on because someone else used the code, lol. Used is never the same as new.

Wow..you are just not very informed are you?

They are not attempting to sell you a used game at a new game price. Go look at the prices in a store before spouting off crap that makes you look like an idiot. The used games are marked clearly at lower prices. The only time I have ever found a game in there that the used was more expensive was where a price drop happened on the new and the used got missed for a relabel. It isn't some purposeful conspiracy to screw customers, it is the simple face that sometimes repricing hundreds of stock items with a small handful of employees isn't possible. Clearly you have never had to work retail and put up with the bs that a retail employee does.

I swear, some of you just want a reason to hate on gamestop, sony, or whatever the flavor of the month is to hate on.

This is marketing..pure and simple.

They make more money off used games, that is their primary business. It makes sense they want to put used games in the spotlight to encourage people to buy them. They aren't denying people who want to buy new that ability. Walk in, request new game, receive new game..go home and shaddup. They are marketing at the casual browsers who don't care on the level that we do. People who in most cases will appreciate saving a few $ and don't really care if it is new or used.

Now if they were trying to sell used as new, then that would be a problem. This is just simple marketing. If you honestly think you aren't being marketed too in Every single store you walk into, you are already sold and didn't even know it. Heck a simple trip to the grocery store is a hugely marketed deal.

Some of you...I swear. :rolleyes:

QFT

Is it a bit of a shady practice? Yes. They are relying on the fact that consumers don't pay attention to what it is that they're buying other than the name and price. But I would put that blame on the consumer, not GameStop. Used games are their bread and butter, it has been since their Funcoland days, and they need to market those very games for the sake of their business.

The local EBGames I visit in Canada usually doesn't have new games on the shelf. If you're buying an older game then yes, you'll have to watch out for this, but for the most part if a game has been out for less than three months you have to ask the sales guy, who will open up a cabinet or grab it from the back. The same holds true for all PC games, but they don't really sell used copies of PC games.

They are not attempting to sell you a used game at a new game price. Go look at the prices in a store before spouting off crap that makes you look like an idiot. The used games are marked clearly at lower prices. The only time I have ever found a game in there that the used was more expensive was where a price drop happened on the new and the used got missed for a relabel. It isn't some purposeful conspiracy to screw customers, it is the simple face that sometimes repricing hundreds of stock items with a small handful of employees isn't possible. Clearly you have never had to work retail and put up with the bs that a retail employee does.

I'm not informed? Did you read the F*@#&% article?

There are also MANY games where the new copy is as cheap as $19.99 but the used copies stacked on top of it are $34.99.

Sometimes they are charging the same price for the new and used game, other times they are charging more for the used game. That's crooked as hell... granted price labeling mistakes can happen, but it's pretty damn clear they are trying to sell used and new copies for the exact same price.

I'm not informed? Did you read the F*@#&% article?

Sometimes they are charging the same price for the new and used game, other times they are charging more for the used game. That's crooked as hell... granted price labeling mistakes can happen, but it's pretty damn clear they are trying to sell used and new copies for the exact same price.

I read the article and "News Flash" news articles are hardly 100% factual. Go actually talk to gamestop and see if they are honestly going to sell a used game for more than the new or the exact same price. The answer will be an emphatic no. Whoever wrote the article found a few mislabeled games and sensationalized it to make it look like gamestop is trying to sell used games for more than new as a regular practice. To even assume that is slightly true is just flat out marked stupidity.

Seriously, find something better to rant about. Right now you are just making yourself looked like an extremely foolish and uninformed consumer.

I read the article and "News Flash" news articles are hardly 100% factual. Go actually talk to gamestop and see if they are honestly going to sell a used game for more than the new or the exact same price. The answer will be an emphatic no. Whoever wrote the article found a few mislabeled games and sensationalized it to make it look like gamestop is trying to sell used games for more than new as a regular practice. To even assume that is slightly true is just flat out marked stupidity.

Seriously, find something better to rant about. Right now you are just making yourself looked like an extremely foolish and uninformed consumer.

Why would I trust gamestop not to PR spin things in their favor? I'm only interested in the bottom line facts, and prices as labled are the prices.

The army doesn't kill anybody, they just depopulate the area, go ask them.

Why would I trust gamestop not to PR spin things in their favor? I'm only interested in the bottom line facts, and prices as labled are the prices.

The army doesn't kill anybody, they just depopulate the area, go ask them.

Careful, some signals are getting through your tinfoil hat there. :rolleyes:

I'm done, you have ceased being worth arguing with.

^^^ publishers don't make a dime on used games.

Now they do...it's called an Online Pass. Strictly voluntary, unless you want to go online in which case it's required. If it's used, the code provided in the originally new copy is more than likely used, so you end up paying $10 or so if you get a used copy. Prepare for bastardized uses for this scheme, along with "Season Passes". :(

Decided to never shop at Gamestop ever since they decided to open up game boxes to remove the bonus game coupons because it affected their digital distribution service.

Why would I trust gamestop not to PR spin things in their favor?

Well, you shouldn't. A company's bottom line is profit, and if PR spinning gains profit and they can easily do it, then what do you think they're going to do? ;) Occasionally you see a company that has some credibility, but it's pretty rare.

No one said they were trying to mark used games as new. You're creating a strawman here.

The problem is that they are *reducing* the visible differences between the used copies and the new copies.

Yes, the stickers still have the word "USED" or "NEW" on them, but if the sticker is the same color and the games are in the same stack, how many people aren't going to look closely enough to notice? (Keep in mind that the sticker color and location of the game used to be exclusive to NEW games.)

Of course they aren't outright lying about the condition of what you're buying (not yet). But they are *absolutely* trying to actively deceive customers into buying a used game when they meant to buy a new one (or at least hoping that will happen).

Back