EA: Says Battlefield 4 Complaints Are Just "Noise"

My generation imploded the video game market in the 80's because it was uninspiring, they were turning out the same games over and over, zero improvements in graphics quality, ultra expensive, and the QC was crap. We literally asked our parents for something else instead of games, and only bought a game if it was in the local pharmacy bargain bin for $0.50 or what Shigeru Miyamoto created. My dad had to talk me into those games as they had become cheaper than a bag of chips and a soda. I guess the differences in our attitudes is age most likely or maybe upbringing. No diss intended.

Games didn't have endings, so we played for high scores. It was all about competition back then, not finishing.
It got old after a while.
And yes, endless clone games killed the market.

Another thing.
I grew up in a neighborhood full of kids. We had open fields owned by companies and little old ladies that weren't afraid of getting sued if we fell down and hurt ourselves playing football or baseball that let us use those empty lots as much as we wanted. My parents weren't paranoid about a molester or kidnapper like parents are today, instead of being a group of isolated families we were a community.
My grandmother would invite all 30+ kids into the house during the summer for PB&J sandwiches between games and for swims in the pool. Every parent in the neighborhood knew "Grandma K" (and all the kids called here that, and most of the parents) and didn't hesitate to let their kids be there.
If someone tried to do now what my grandmother did then, they'd be suspected as a pervert or sicko. There's no trust or community and parents use video games to watch their kids now a days so they don't have to. After all, its easier to raise a kid on the couch than worry about something happening to your kid if they wanted to go out and play ball.
Definitely a different time then.

My generation imploded the video game market in the 80's because it was uninspiring, they were turning out the same games over and over, zero improvements in graphics quality, ultra expensive, and the QC was crap. We literally asked our parents for something else instead of games, and only bought a game if it was in the local pharmacy bargain bin for $0.50 or what Shigeru Miyamoto created. My dad had to talk me into those games as they had become cheaper than a bag of chips and a soda. I guess the differences in our attitudes is age most likely or maybe upbringing. No diss intended.

I'm pretty close to the same age as you. The difference is I know what a real fight is.

Probably 90% of the issues are system instability, driver and/or internet related.

RPS: SimCity and BF4 both had terrible launches. SimCity didn’t work for more than a month, and BF4 still has issues. Surely you’re overhauling how you approach launches internally from now on?

Hilleman: I’m not sure I accept your premise. Battlefield 4 has been an exceedingly successful product on both consoles and PC. From a sales perspective, from a gameplay perspective

10/10 If I was conducting this interview live I would've laughed millimeters from the EA guys face and spit all over him on purpose.

Probably 90% of the issues are system instability, driver and/or internet related.

Have you played the game for more then a few minutes? If you had you would know better.

I'm floored by this, even though after all these years I don't know why. It really seemed as though they were admitting there issues and trying to fix them. I know this is a result of there broken corpoRATe culture but it's still so insulting to read. Off too redit and BL to post this and stir the pot some.

for people saying this isnt totally EA's fault, pre-order ANY blizzard game (or buy any of them, even the ones that are 10 years old) and run it. very few if any problems ever, nearly seamless online experiences, etc. why do you think they refuse to make hard release dates?

Their Diablo 3 launch was a disaster. It had quite a few bugs, was unfinished, and had balance issues. And it took them FOREVER to develop it. That being said, the game was alright. BF4 is alright as well.

Just to provide a counterpoint, I think both sides have merit. The BF4 release evidently sucked, and it was probably pushed to market before it was ready, which is typical of EA. I say "evidently" because I didn't own the game then, I got in during the BF/CM sales. Battlelog says I have 82h in on the game, and I think I've crashed out maybe twice in that entire time. Overall I think the game is amazing, from the visuals, to the maps, to the teamplay, everything coming together is nothing short of astounding as far as pushing the genre and multiplayer games in general. I think EA does have a point that a vocal minority is what you see on the forums, as a majority of people are too busy playing (evidenced by the huge queues on servers).

Again, I missed the launch fiasco(s), but so far the game has been great and stable, although I notice that there are people who still complain. Like many times before, I sit her wondering at which point do I stop becoming "lucky" and instead am a guy who actually knows how to run a fucking computer system. I think many times you have people who have no idea how to stably overclock, or update drivers, or not run tons of bullshit on their computer, and then blame software for their incompetence. The other thing is I'm not pissed because I picked up the game and Premium for a total of $57 during the sales a MONTH after release. If you're upset you paid full price, you only have yourself to blame; be an adult and set a price you're willing to pay for the experience, then shut up about it. I totally understand being frustrated with the launch and the game not working as intended despite pre-ordering on good faith, EA totally dropped the ball on its fanbase. But that's over now, move on and don't pre-order next time. Fool me once, shame on you... blah blah blah.

I agree that BF4 is fun. Sure it has bugs and it has crashed on me a few times but overall, it's a pretty good game.

You know what is more retarded than EA? Its customers, people preorder games and pay upfront for something they haven't even played.

So they already have your money, where is the incentive for them to make it good from that point on?

If people actually waited for a game to hit the street prior to buying, maybe they would be a more polished product to sell. Oh thats right I forgot, you need to preorder to ensure it doesn't sellout on you on Origen :p

Have you played the game for more then a few minutes? If you had you would know better.

Have played it for a large part of a weekend without issue except for the occasional laggy server that's resolved by hopping on to a different one. Like I said, the system is to blame for the most part and the internet and not the game.

You know what is more retarded than EA? Its customers, people preorder games and pay upfront for something they haven't even played.

So they already have your money, where is the incentive for them to make it good from that point on?

If people actually waited for a game to hit the street prior to buying, maybe they would be a more polished product to sell. Oh thats right I forgot, you need to preorder to ensure it doesn't sellout on you on Origen :p

Considering the number of people buying early access games we can expect things to get even worse.

That's probably known as "lack of broad system hardware testing/Beta testing", which they seem to be suffering from a lot lately. With all the offers I get for beta testing at their controlled environment at HQ, I'm not surprised this is an issue.

By now you should know that some companies really don't care to help people even the support department is something they do not care for.

I played through Star Wars The old Republic It was still Beta 4 months later.

Electronic Arts has pathetic management for "gamers" . It is nothing new it will not change these people don't get their bonus from games that launch bug free...

Have played it for a large part of a weekend without issue except for the occasional laggy server that's resolved by hopping on to a different one. Like I said, the system is to blame for the most part and the internet and not the game.

A ton of people in forums seem to have shitty systems and internet connections. Even those with great PC's that know what WTF they are doing and have a good 100Mb connection are having issues. Granted, some are due to bad drivers, shitty internet, etc.., but not all....

Considering the number of people buying early access games we can expect things to get even worse.

No one should be paying to beta test a game for a developer... Thats like saying hey I'll work for you testing your games and pay for the privilege. They should be paying you or offering discounts since they need to hire less testers.

Problem is these days no one has any patience anymore and want everything now. People will buy a new Battlefield title just to get early access to the beta so they can get sick of the game before it is even released properly.

I miss the early days where there was no internet and you couldn't just patch a game after release. Not to mention a game was released when it was actually ready and not when they could push it out the door in a partially stable form.

They don't listen to demands of their customers, they only jump when the share holders complain about something...If only they played the games EA made them money with.

They lost $308 million last quarter, and sales were down from the previous year. So enough customers have finally left that their shareholders are now going to care.

I dont know what the complaints are about, I run it with maxxed out settings just fine with no lockups or bugs or stuttering.

Maybe you shouldn't use a 'dell' for your gaming computer and build your own

Man it's the same shit over and over again, like the people that bitch and moan about COD and swear an oath not to buy the next game.

Then they go buy the next COD when it comes out.....

Basically, unless the majority revolts there is no incentive for them to change and the people that don't buy in just wind up feeling deprived because they are left out.

True, i wouldnt call it a "revolt", more like consumer choice. It would be nice if enough gaming/tech sites would call out EA on their behavior. I think that would go along way to educate or motivate potential consumers.
EA needs a reality check for sure. I just finished Dead Space 3. Got the game for next to nothing on humble bundle or something (i have way to many games to even remember) , anyway while i enjoyed the game i had this annoying "kinesis door stutter sound bug". So i looked on EA's forums and found a thread with a lot of people with the same issue. After going through all 27 pages, EA finally answered with "we are unable to replicate the event" and basically the issue was closed in their opinion. Except for everyone else who had the problem I ended up just finishing the game. This was the first time i have played a game where no-one was able to find a fix. I will never pay full price for an EA game, EVER!

I played the shanghai beta and bought the release game as soon as it came out. To my surprise the release game was a much buggier mess than the beta was. I found myself wondering how the beta could be so much better than the release.

The release was a freakin disaster. Server side bugs, client side bugs, stability, etc.. There was thread after thread after thread on the forums with hundreds of pages of complaints.

Over time they have fixed a lot of the problems. Along the way they released a patch or two that broke something else or made things worse. Then fixed those mistakes with another patch.

As of right now it's mostly stable and I have much fewer complaints. And no the problem was never my computer and just because some people had fewer issues than others doesn't mean those of us that did experience problems are incompetent. Some of you smug pricks are fucking insulting with your commentary. I wish you would find the nearest Dell tower and shove it up your ass.

Man it's the same shit over and over again, like the people that bitch and moan about COD and swear an oath not to buy the next game.

Then they go buy the next COD when it comes out.....

That surely did not happen this time with COD on PC.

I really wish EA and all of their corporate stooges would burn in a lake of fire. The way they've handled BF4's issues have been a complete fucking joke, i.e...free Battlepacks, "Customer Appreciation Week".....

Guessing you use a *real* firewall with deny by default outbound filtering? I used to run untangle as my gateway, and Origin is seriously messed up with port usage. There was no real rhyme or reason to the ports it used and it basically required allowing nearly all ports to download anything.

Well, that is exactly what I thought. I talked to EA went in and programmed the FIOS router to allow the defined traffic on the specified ports....no bueno.

The game will download, it just gets to 99% then reverts to a previous spot in the dl and does it again. I downloaded nearly half a terabyte for the SAME game...I have been working on this for six months and EA's solution is for me to format and reinstall my OS.....I built a fresh box, same issue.

That surely did not happen this time with COD on PC.

Well I'm not sure about how successful Ghosts was on PC but Activision did brag to the media that they broke the $1b sales figure on the launch day of release, beating GTA V's 3 day span to achieve the same sales amount. Activision is talking shit out of there asses. I think Kotaku debunked that Activision was talking shit out of there asses with the retailers stocking $1b worth of stock not selling that amount.

Either way, since BC2 and Black Ops 1, both EA and Activision(Treyarch/IW) have been losing fans and customers.

Seriously every time I read this kind of PR from EA I don't know why I don't boycott their products outright. I have friends that refuse to buy EA games. Titanfall looks fun but after being burned by BF4 I'm not going to buy it day one.

Even if the beta is great I'm going to pass on a day one purpose this time around. Pretty sure I'll do this for all EA games from here on in.

Well millions buy the game and will keep doing it so in effect they are right its just noise. It has no measurable effect on sales.

I played the shanghai beta and bought the release game as soon as it came out. To my surprise the release game was a much buggier mess than the beta was. I found myself wondering how the beta could be so much better than the release.

My suspicions were always that the beta was some propped up version, albeit a small subset of the total gameplay as a whole, on a different build path that they had conjured up in an ad hoc manner just to draw people in. It's what got me to pre-order the game which is probably what was the intended effect.

lol these threads are dumb. A lot of butthurtness. Guess what? You're the extreme minority. EA and MW and BF lives on. :D

lol these threads are dumb. A lot of butthurtness. Guess what? You're the extreme minority. EA and MW and BF lives on. :D

What is dumb? People are paying for the same product with a different result.
The only dumb thing is people that supposedly are in charge at EA tell you even if paid the same amount you are just noise.

Everyone deserves to be treated the same people with problems should be helped and not treated like a statistic.

The first time that I tried to play bf4 from origin, i got banned for cheating. Violation (gamehack) 89265

Back