Dual monitors for gaming. What my best choice for cables?

Iowabucks

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone.

I have a fairly competent computer, (in my sig), running an Asus GTX 670 video card. Also running dual Samsung T24C550ND 24" monitors.

This video card has an HDMI port, a display port, a DVI-I, and a DVI-D port.

Right now, I am using an HDMI to HDMI cable for one monitor, and a DVI-D to HDMI cable for the other monitor.

Am I running the best possible cable configuration from this video card for multiple monitors, for gaming purposes? Or should I be taking advantage of the Displayport?

Mostly just running the game with one, and other monitor for TeamSpeak or Battlelog.

But wouldn't mind running both monitors in widescreen for the BF4 occationally.

Any better ways to run this? Will I need an HDMI to Displayport converter? Does it need to be active?

Last edited:
Use whatever connection methods you want, if it works, it works.

2 screens in surround is not a good idea.
Your aim site will be right where the 2 monitors meet.
1 or 3 screens is what you need.

Is there a reason you're using HDMI on your monitors? Do you need the sound output?

Use whatever connection methods you want, if it works, it works.

2 screens in surround is not a good idea.
Your aim site will be right where the 2 monitors meet.
1 or 3 screens is what you need.

Totally agree. I tried the two monitor route, don't waste your time. 1 or 3.

cables don't matter with 1080p 60 Hz. anything works, the only thing you shouldn't use is vga. all digital cables will give the exact same picture quality, the only difference is bandwidth or extras like ethernet or audio support. hdmi has the least bandwidth but has ethernet and audio capability, dual link dvi and displayport have the most bandwidth but dvi is video only and displayport is video+audio only. bandwidth differences between cables only matters when you're trying to run high refresh rate and/or high resolution monitors. you don't want to game with two monitors because your crosshair will be centered in the two monitors' bezels, as nenu already said.

Is there a reason you're using HDMI on your monitors? Do you need the sound output?

It might be better to classify them as TV's, since they have a TV tuner and the whole array of inputs. His other option would be VGA, or god forbid he tries to use component or composite video.

To the OP, stick with your current setup. Displayport-to-HDMI offers no advantage over DVI-to-HDMI for you. Plus those adapters cost a pretty penny.

Last edited:
For gaming on dual (2*n) multi display configuration i'd switch gpu vendors as well. While AMD enables/allows 2*n eyefinity configurations, Nvidia in their nvidia surround - does not, at least for gaming gpus (support is there for quadro line. One of artificial driver limitations to differentiate otherwise similar but different priced hardware between professional and gaming lines). Many have asked Nvidia for 2*n surround configurations for years, i'm 95% sure, that they won't change their minds on this issue in nearest years.

what resolution are you going to do for the duo set up? i recommend dvi-d and hdmi for 1920x1080 , or if you're using 2560x1440 use dp cable or dvi-d. only hdmi and display port send out sound signal.

Back