dual monitor setup kicking me out of games when i click on 2nd monitor

fociz

Limp Gawd
Title says it all.

I'll be in a game, Swtor, Far Cry 3, Skyrim etc. on the main monitor, while the 2nd monitor is simply displaying my extended desktop, when i click on the browser or Steam or anything on the 2nd monitor, it boots me out of the game on the main monitor, which basically nullifies the whole reason of having a dual monitor setup.

Is it something i've not setup correctly through Nvidia control panel?
I have the main monitor set to "extend these displays" through the screen resolution in the control panel.

What am i doing wrong?

Edit: Gtx680 using Hdmi to main monitor. Dvi to Hdmi cable to 2nd monitor.

you'll have to play the games in windowed mode (if available) to make it not minimize.... i know mmo's like swtor and WoW have the option to do so, but i do not know if the others do as i have never played them

If it is just minimizing, then like they said above, you'll have to check if the game has an option to play in Windowed Fullscreen mode. I'd say maybe 2/3 of games have an option to do so.

Excuse me, it minimizes the game only.

..And what the hell's the point of having a dual monitor setup if Windows 7 minimizes all games while clicking on, and using your 2nd monitor?

A giant WTF?

I know that when I played FarCry 3 and did this, it automatically switched me to window mode. Sadly tho my gaming performance on windowed mode completely dropped, and frames were garbage when playing in window mode on all ultra settings, as opposed to fullscreen.

You need to look for windowed borderless options in your games. Blizzard games have it in their options. At least some (have only tried tf2) value games can handle the command "-windowed -noborder". If you play in regular full-screen mode, the second monitor is no longer intractable with while the game is up. I think the idea behind fullscreen mode is to render just the game and not desktop stuff for maximum performance.

As for whether this makes dual screens worthless to you, that's your own decision. I would have issues permanently going back to a single monitor myself.

I know that when I played FarCry 3 and did this, it automatically switched me to window mode. Sadly tho my gaming performance on windowed mode completely dropped, and frames were garbage when playing in window mode on all ultra settings, as opposed to fullscreen.

Exactly!

Why the hell would you want to play games in borderless windowed mode when you have a 2nd monitor for productivity?
Playing Swtor in windowed makes the game too dark due to it switching to use the desktops gamma setting instead of allowing you to set it independently, so that's a no go for me.

Same with WoW or most other games, even if they DO offer a borderless window mode you cannot adjust the gamma or brightness correctly.

Part of the reason of having a dual monitor setup is to be able use your 2nd display to browse a site for information or stream a video while still being "in game" on your main display! Jesus..if it's not one thing, it's another.

Is this a Windows or an Nvidia driver issue? Cause this makes zero sense to me, and again, makes a dual monitor setup pretty useless for me. Argh!:mad:

I have the same behavior (game minimizes). I have always used the second monitor for comms (team speak/ventrillo) and for performance monitors when in game. Maybe troll a forum while a map is loading, but nothing that requires full interactivity while actually gaming.

no need to get bent out of shape...i dont think you quite understand that in order to use a second monitor and be able to seamlessly switch between your game monitor and your non-game monitor (without Alt+Tab-ing) you will have to play in windowed mode otherwise you are limited to the main screen and the annoying minimizing, all games are like that (at least the ones i have played)

i have never had performance issues when playing windowed mode except in a few cases... one case being that crossfire at the time (not sure if its still the case) didnt work properly in windowed mode, single card never had issues
the other issue i had is that when i switch to a non-game window while playing a game the game frames dropped to 30fps, but once i went back to the game it was back to full fps

i never had issues with the gamma or brightness going out of sorts... sounds like a settings issue maybe someone with experience in nvidia and how to adjust settings can chime in and help you out more

Back