Dual LGA771 mobo w/ min 8 dimm slot recommendation

Karandras

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey,

So I have a PE2950 with dual X5460 and 8x2 FBDIMM running ESXi. Now this server is loud and generates lots of heat which isn't good for being in my furnace room (when winter comes along that room is going to be hot and that server will be really loud). I'm looking at putting it into a regular tower.

Is there an ATX or ATX-extended motherboard that is cheap that can fit what I have? Maybe more DIMMs? I would love to run a buinch of 120mm fans instead of the banshees that are currently running.

Something that I can ebay for less that $100ish would be perfect, just don't know a good model.

Thanks!

Hey,

Thanks, that board looks great!

What about X7DWN+? It has an extra 8 DIMMs on it and it's just a little bit more. Looks like Extended ATX, just need to get a special case for it and it'll be good. Not sure on that cost though.

That is a big board, 13.05" x 13.68". Never used it, but it doesn't look bad.

Don't forget about the processor mounting system on LGA771. Most of the time the heat-sinks actually mount to the case not the motherboard. Some SM boards specify a mounting plate to remedy that problem. The plate mounts to the case and indexes off the ATX mounting holes. You'll have to do some research before you buy.

Back