dual display question

jarhead

Gawd
Hey guys, not sure if im posting this in the right place or not, so be gentle if it's in the wrong spot :-D

Ok, I just picked up a Radeon 7200, not entirely sure who the OEM is, haha, I found it in an ESD back on my buddies floor. Works like a champ and sure beats my older ghetto card (replaced with a newer ghetto card?). It also has the secondary DVI out.

Well, I might be short on new computer equipment, but I do have about 7 Gateway VX720 diamondtron's. So ive got two monitors plugged into this thing, and for whatever reason, it wont recognize the second in the device manager. It displays on both monitors, but only cloning the image of the primary. My last card was a 9700pro, and that was easier to enable, but for whatever reason, I just cant seem to pull it off here. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

So far ive tried uninstalling the card and reinstalling it, uninstalling the monitor drivers, updating the drivers from "Plug and Play Monitor" to the actual Gateway VX720 drivers, but nothing seems to work. It just doesnt acknowledge that there is a second monitor there.

Thanks again for any help guys.

What OS?
Win2k has issues with multimonitor from a single device.
There are workarounds, not sure of the details on a 7200 tho...

dur, sorry, hah, i knew i was forgetting something.

winxp sp1 all updated and that jazz. latest stable catylsts too

go to "Display Properties" and click the "Settings" Tab, then highlight the monitor with the number 2 on it and go down and put a check in the box that says "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor." Make sure you have the drivers for the card and the ATI control panel loaded as well.

does the 7200 have dual head capability? i didn't think it did...

hey thanks for the responses, the problem im having actually isnt with enabling it, it's with the computer recognizing the second monitor to behin with. there just isnt that second monitor there on the settings tab.

im completely stumped

i didnt think the 7200 did dual head either, but, it has the output, i am getting a display on both, just, not recognized as a seperat monitor

Try another monitor on that port.. or better yet.. simply swap the monitors on their connections? It's possible one of your monitors isn't being recognized? What kind of monitors are we talking about here? Brand, make, model? Im sure swapping around monitors will help at least identify the problem.. after that.. we try and attack the problem itself. :D

Also.. what OS are you using.. XP? XP Pro? 98SE? I suggest getting the newest driver FOR the particular monitor your having trouble with as well, then you can go into Add New Hardware, and pick what you want to add, then install the driver needed.

ok, update -
not only have i swapped them (no dice), but i took out one of the VX720's and replaced it with a viewsonic A70, which is not only a different model, but also has different specs 1280x1024 max res, instead of 1600x1200 as on the VX720.

none of this has made a difference. it will recognize the a70 as a plug and play, no doubt would also recognize it as an a70 if i installed the driver, but it will not also recognize the vx720 when plugged in.

ive tried the add new hardware wizard, it recognizes the changes in monitors, but not addition of a new one. this is totally strange based on all my experiance. ive gone so far as to try and add a second monitor (with the a70) manually, but it wont recognize it...

ive been all over the ati site, reading manuals and the like, and it doesnt say whether or not the 7200 supports dual head, but doesnt show any 7200's in the manual that have DVI out either. so no conclusive evidence there.

the card is a 64mb, i doubt it makes difference, but who knows. i dont know what OEM it is, like i said above, i picked it up off my friend's floor.

Are you saying it will only recognise 1 monitor no matter which 2 you have connected? Sounds like the card is damaged then. If it has dual outputs then it IS a dual head card, it may simply no longer be capable of doing so any more. Sorry :(

that'd be my initial thought as well, but if one output were broken, it wouldnt be displaying anything at all, yes?

kinda an on or off thing i imagine...

a lot of the geforce 3 cards have 2 outputs but don't support dual display. probably the same thing going on here

To the best I could tell, I thought THAT was what he said, that it recognised the monitor change on the Primary, but still not listing the original monitor becoming the Secondary...

Originally posted by jarhead
that'd be my initial thought as well, but if one output were broken, it wouldnt be displaying anything at all, yes?

kinda an on or off thing i imagine...

::shoots himself::

hah, all that work for nothing. thanks anyway guys, i appreciate it. if i can sell my e740 ill just buy a 9700 or something...

Back