Dual 390X?

BradF1979

Limp Gawd
I've seen the benchmarks, I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on if this is worth it. I currently have the Asus 390X OC model and it runs ridiculously hot despite good case flow (90C unless I set a custom fan profile). My CPU on the other hand rarely gets above 50. I think my case may burst into flames if I try to put two of these in there. I'm running 1440P atm and looking to get a 4k monitor which I think we'll need the additional card in order to run games effectively. It can't run most new games on max at 1440P now either...

I have the power supply to add another card, I made sure when I built my system last year. Does anyone here run two 390X?

Well you GPU temp issue certainly won't get any better with a second 390X in the PC.

If it annoys you to run the fans on high...maybe you shouldn't get a 2nd card. That or plan to wc them both

True. I'm just wondering if I could keep them both below 80 in that configuration... I use a custom fan profile at 75% because by default this Asus card wants to only ramp up the fan once the GPU hits 90-95.

Evacuating that case heat will be a challenge, I would seriously consider a Devil 13 dual 390 for the 8GBx2 @ 1440 & 4K. It'll still be warm, but you won't have the bottom card heating the top card.

I would not suggest a CFX rig for 4K right now, 1440P is fine, but even 2X OC'd Titans can't maintain 60FPS at 4K.

On the topic of the 390X specifically: Hawaii is a hot hot GPU, Turning on frame-rate control and limiting your FPS to 60 and turning down some settings may help your card run a bit cooler, you could also try undervolting it. Temperature scales exponentially with voltage, so it would cool down the card considerably.

The issue you're having is due to your choice of GPU. The 390X is normally a well-behaved GPU, but Asus messed up the 390 and 390X coolers. The coldplate on the 390/X was designed for the R9 Fury, and some of the heatpipes don't contact the smaller Hawaii core, therefore the reduced cooling ability and excess noise. If you had a card with a better cooler, like the MSI TFV, you would have lower noise output and cooler temps. You'll definitely want some good case fans to exhaust the hot air.

The issue you're having is due to your choice of GPU. The 390X is normally a well-behaved GPU, but Asus messed up the 390 and 390X coolers. The coldplate on the 390/X was designed for the R9 Fury, and some of the heatpipes don't contact the smaller Hawaii core, therefore the reduced cooling ability and excess noise. If you had a card with a better cooler, like the MSI TFV, you would have lower noise output and cooler temps. You'll definitely want some good case fans to exhaust the hot air.

I've had both a MSI and an Asus 390, both ran within a couple degrees of each other (and hot as hell!) The MSI was the cooler card however holy shit was that thing loud.

I've had both a MSI and an Asus 390, both ran within a couple degrees of each other (and hot as hell!) The MSI was the cooler card however holy shit was that thing loud.

From what I've seen, the Asus usually runs about 90C and quite loud, and the MSI runs more like 70-75C and much quieter.

For the cards I had, the Asus was barely audible and almost never ramped the fans past 38% power (even when the GPU was at 90C). The case fans would ramp a bit to compensate and drown out the Asus. I think anyone noting the Asus is louder is manually adjusting the fan profiles. My MSI was near vacuum cleaner loud and a bit cooler. My PC is fairly silent with all Corsair "Quiet Edition" fans so I wasn't pushing high airflow through the case. If I cranked up the case fans, then those just made a shit ton of noise and GPU temps didn't go down much with either GPU :eek:

Last edited:
Back