Dragon Age Franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because ME is a pile of crap next to it.

They're both very good. I would say the story of Mass Effect 1 is actually better than Dragon Age's story (and had an awesome ending). Both are very good games...they are actually very similar in a lot of respects. The biggest difference is probably the combat. If you don't like isometric, strategy based combat, Dragon Age probably isn't for you.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I did buy it and so far its pretty fun. Glad I got it.

Just a little update, I have been playing for about 6 hours now and I have to say this is the best game I have played in a long time. It took a little getting used to but I find the depth of pretty much everything to be awesome. Well worth $7.50.

Glad you are enjoying it! It does have a lot of depth.

I suggest you make sure you talk to your companions, don't forget to talk to them at the camp as well , that will progress some of their own stories, etc.

Hopefully Dragon age 3 is as good as DA:O. (It's going to be open world a la Skyrim now).

I suggest you make sure you talk to your companions, don't forget to talk to them at the camp as well , that will progress some of their own stories, etc.

Hopefully Dragon age 3 is as good as DA:O. (It's going to be open world a la Skyrim now).

Thanks! I also heard I could get intimate with some of these chicks...lol

Given the farce EA has made and continues to make of SimCity5, don't hold your hopes up...and lemme warn you now. Anyone who preorders DA3 is certifiably brain damaged.

Just a little update, I have been playing for about 6 hours now and I have to say this is the best game I have played in a long time. It took a little getting used to but I find the depth of pretty much everything to be awesome. Well worth $7.50.

Somewhere down the road, if you get a chance and haven't done so already, try playing as a mage with Morrigan, Wynne and Alastair, then later replace Alastair with Oghren. Three mages in a party is pure badassery and the dialogue between the two tanks and Morrigan/Wynne can be hilarious.

I'd still like to try out DA2 even with foreknowledge of some of the pitfalls of the game. I'm curious to see the changes in combat to see whether it's more fluid.

Somewhere down the road, if you get a chance and haven't done so already, try playing as a mage with Morrigan, Wynne and Alastair, then later replace Alastair with Oghren. Three mages in a party is pure badassery and the dialogue between the two tanks and Morrigan/Wynne can be hilarious.

I'd still like to try out DA2 even with foreknowledge of some of the pitfalls of the game. I'm curious to see the changes in combat to see whether it's more fluid.

They took a 3rd person pause/play tactical,,...and turned it into a 3rd person hack and slash key-spamming game...with shitty textures...and blatantly reused maps. I lost count of the number of times I ran along the same exact beach or dungeon.

You also can only play as a human character. Hello loss of choice and depth. Full disclosure: DA2 was the first and last game I ever bought and will ever buy as a preorder.

I think Shale and Sten are the two most interesting characters in the game (as far as history and banter). If anything, get Shale, like a Dragon Age version of HK 47 from KoToR

Mass Effect was always that way though you could alter config files, even in ME1. DAO you gad a choice.

Are we on the same topic? I'm pretty sure that Commander Shepard is human only, just like DA2.

Are we on the same topic? I'm pretty sure that Commander Shepard is human only, just like DA2.

His poitn was that unlike ME, you never had a choice to play as another race/backround, but in DA you did.

I liked that choice.

The only real advantage a set protagonist brings is the ability for them to give him a voice and animate better. That's where ME did better then DA.

It'd be amazing if they could still give you the race choices/backround, and allow your character to have a voice (even if it's the "same" voice for all characters of the same sex).

Yes, for DA:O I knew this. I was mostly comparing how similar DA2 is to ME in terms of character focus.

Honestly the voiced main character makes a huge difference to me; I don't mind giving up character diversity to get that.

Honestly the voiced main character makes a huge difference to me; I don't mind giving up character diversity to get that.

It's funny, but I remember the concern that having voiced main characters would lead to less diverse character options... way back in the early 90's (when adoption of CDs started allowing those huge voiceover files).

IMHO, I prefer pretending that I am the main character when playing RPGs, so no voiceovers for me, give me a menu of canned responses and I'm happy. Then again, I grew up in the golden age of PC-RPGs where customization (and D&D or D&D-style rules) was king... ;)

I definitely prefer minimal voicework in RPG's, at least ones where game depth is valued over a cinematic experience. I prefer more dialogue options and better writing without having to sacrifice something else.

In a game like ME, I felt the focus was more cinematic, so all of the voice acting worked fine. In DA:O, it would have been incredibly expensive since there was a great deal more when it came to dialogue options for the PC. DA:2 was neutered in that department, and rather bland to boot.

It's funny, but I remember the concern that having voiced main characters would lead to less diverse character options... way back in the early 90's (when adoption of CDs started allowing those huge voiceover files).

IMHO, I prefer pretending that I am the main character when playing RPGs, so no voiceovers for me, give me a menu of canned responses and I'm happy. Then again, I grew up in the golden age of PC-RPGs where customization (and D&D or D&D-style rules) was king... ;)

All this. TBH, I didn't like the main character voice actors they picked for M.E.

I definitely prefer minimal voicework in RPG's, at least ones where game depth is valued over a cinematic experience. I prefer more dialogue options and better writing without having to sacrifice something else.

In a game like ME, I felt the focus was more cinematic, so all of the voice acting worked fine. In DA:O, it would have been incredibly expensive since there was a great deal more when it came to dialogue options for the PC. DA:2 was neutered in that department, and rather bland to boot.
I agree, it may be a bit over dramatic, but here I go

2w3qj9f.jpg

I just finished the circle tower and I am loving the game. I really like how the decisions you make influence what actually happens later on. On to Honnleath.

EDIT: I think this thread has ran its course, thanks for all the recommendations. The game is awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back