Don't need raid, need more internal SATA...

yang88she

2[H]4U
So what do I need, I have quite a few miss matched 1TB and 1.5 TB drives

my mobo only has 7 sata connections and I want to use a "card" for additional sata connections...

cheaper the better, just want to add more hdd's to my system...

TIA

How many more ports do you need? That's going to the deciding factor on any recommendations.

How many more ports do you need? That's going to the deciding factor on any recommendations.

I'll bite...
1. how many ports?
2. how much are you looking to spend?
3. how reliable do you want this to be?
4. are you looking to house the drives internally or externally?
5. what OS?

I'll bite...
1. how many ports?
2. how much are you looking to spend?
3. how reliable do you want this to be?
4. are you looking to house the drives internally or externally?
5. what OS?

1. at least 2
2.cheap as possible =D...$50?
3. well as reliable as anything <$50
4. internally
5. win 7 64 bit

Also:
What slots do you have available. I looks like neweggs PCI cards are cheaper than PCI Express

All I ever used are these cheapie PCIe expansion cards and they worked just fine.

I've also used the PCI versions and they worked just as well but don't have the "headroom" of the PCIe cards when using more than one drive.

If you need more ports, maybe consider getting an Intel SASUC8i controller. Around 130&#8364; + Breakout cable (2x) you need, but you've 8 ports and in case you someday want RAID0/1/10, you can do it with it.

If you need more ports, maybe consider getting an Intel SASUC8i controller. Around 130€ + Breakout cable (2x) you need, but you've 8 ports and in case you someday want RAID0/1/10, you can do it with it.

On one hand... way more than your budget, but the Intel SASUC8I's are compatible with the HP SAS Expander if you ever wanted to go big and have drivers for basically every OS around.

Then again, cheapie PCIe cards also serve a purpose.

Hey all. I'm in the exact same boat as OP and was brought here by Old Hippie. I'm thinking of adding a 2nd HDD down the line, however. If I were to buy a SATA add-on w/ 2 ports and use both, would the bandwidth be shared at the same time (ie 300MB/sec split down to 150) or would the bandwidth be dedicated to only the actively used HDD (one at a time, full 300MB/sec)? Basically, would it be beneficial to purchase 2 PCIe add-on cards, or could I survive on just 1?

Finally, are there any decent bang-4-buck brands out there where it's just plug'n'play: no hassle, jump through hoops crap?

Any input would be appreciated.

i know this is not directly useful but throughput across a gigabit network under good condition is not all that much slower than SATA with some optimization.

Two generations ago of SATA (1.5Gbps), maybe. Current 6Gbps SATA, and even 3Gbps, have about 6 times and 3 times the throughput of a 1 Gbps network connection.

I can only guess that you meant the sequential transfer rate of a single HDD is around 100 - 140 MB/s, and GigE max throughput is 125 MB/s.

If I were to buy a SATA add-on w/ 2 ports and use both, would the bandwidth be shared at the same time (ie 300MB/sec split down to 150) or would the bandwidth be dedicated to only the actively used HDD (one at a time, full 300MB/sec)? Basically, would it be beneficial to purchase 2 PCIe add-on cards, or could I survive on just 1?

Finally, are there any decent bang-4-buck brands out there where it's just plug'n'play: no hassle, jump through hoops crap?

^ BUMP. Any info?

Back