Does this work similar to a headphone amp?

Corvette

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an older Kenwood stereo (6 cd changer, cassette, tuner) plugged into my computer. If I had headphones that "required" an amp would this work? I currently have Sony MDR-V700 and ATATH-AD700 which don't seem to require an amp. If the Kenwood is not the same as a headphone amp then why? The radio was purchased in the 90's so maybe quality is different?

The Kenwood is going to have a stereo preamplifier, which generally is very similar to what one would call a headphone amplifier.

SNR ratios aside, the difference is that preamplifier outputs are generally line-level and have a very high output impedance, and thus output very low current. If a preamplifier has a dedicated headphone jack, however, then the output impedance of said jack is likely far lower, current higher, and it should be able to drive most headphones.

As such, the qualified answer is yes.

That said, not all headphones are the same. Some headphones are notoriously difficult to drive and can potentially require even more current than the Kenwood's preamplifier section can output, thus limiting dynamics, but I highly doubt that you own or are interested in owning such a pair of headphones.

Thanks! Any relation to Nikola Tesla :p

Any test that could be done with something as common as a multi-meter? Or would you expect some information in the manual or on the stereo itself?

I used TESLA as my gamer name years back during a Red Alert 2 revival I had going on with my friends, haha.

Unfortunately, most receivers will treat the headphone jack as a "second rate" addition, and as such will have limited to no documentation on the headphone output.

There is no simple (aka quick and easy) test that you can do with a multi-meter that will tell you how the amplifier will perform with hard-to-drive headphones, and honestly, I doubt even a more complex set of tests would be of much use, anyway. Nearly all of the hard-to-drive headphones that I know of are nearing the upper-mid to high-end range, and at that point, you will likely want a dedicated unit anyway.

Back