Does anyone know of a decent reasonably priced stereo amp?

Hey guys, I just picked up a nice older set of Pioneer 3-way floorstanding speakers for 15 bucks that are rated for 140 watts RMS each and I'm looking for a nice amp to power them at close to their RMS range. It doesnt have to be specifically a receiver or plain amp, either one will do. I'm just trying to find one that doesnt cost $500 cuz thats all I can seem to find.

I had them hooked up to an older receiver that pushed about 40 watts into them and they sounded pretty good but then I hooked em up to my computer receiver that pushed 120 watts into them and they really woke up and pounded out some sound and really made me happy that I only paid 15 bucks for them. So I'm just trying to find something else that can do that thats reasonably priced since my receiver is discontinued.:(

you're never going to run those at anything approaching their rated RMS handling, because you'd be looking at around 120-125 dB output, a nice citation for disturbing the peace (in most jurisdictions), and incredibly damaged hearing after about an hour of that

without knowing more about what you connected them, I can't explain what the difference is, but suffice to say, find out what their nominal impedance is, should be 8 ohms (might be 4 or 6, which changes things ever so slightly) and then buy a stereo receiver either used or new thats rated to handle said nominal impedance (Sony STR DH-100, Teac AG-790A, Yamaha RX-397, HK-3390, etc)

Oh I know that I just like to try to match my speakers with almost equal power not really for loudness but for clarity so it won't distort.

Anyway the speakers are rated at 8 ohms 140 watts and they're 3-way. The 40 watt receiver is one from the 1980s lol and that has alot of crackle so I'm looking for something better with some more power and that's fairly inexpensive.

Last edited:
Oh I know that I just like to try to match my speakers with almost equal power not really for loudness but for clarity so it won't distort.

Anyway the speakers are rated at 8 ohms 140 watts and they're 3-way. The 40 watt receiver is one from the 1980s lol and that has alot of crackle so I'm looking for something better with some more power and that's fairly inexpensive.

matching output power doesn't matter, you don't run the amp at 100% or even 50% for normal usage, its fine

as far as a receiver, I did list some suggestions, all of which have no issues with 8 ohm, have a look

otherwise, time to look at pawn shops, thrift stores, craigslist, etc and do a lot of homework before you buy

+1 on buying used. Look around and you can find a beautiful sounding old amp (Akai, Marantz, etc.) for alot less than $500.

Dustin

Might want to also take a look at NAD. My NAD C315 powers both my electret headphones and an old pair of Celestion C60's with remarkable aplomb.

The Emotive UPA-2 should do the job nicely. $300, 125wpc. High quality amp over all, hard to go wrong. Really, you are highly unlikely to need more power. However, if you want more power, they make larger amps.

matching output power doesn't matter, you don't run the amp at 100% or even 50% for normal usage, its fine

as far as a receiver, I did list some suggestions, all of which have no issues with 8 ohm, have a look

otherwise, time to look at pawn shops, thrift stores, craigslist, etc and do a lot of homework before you buy
I did look at the suggestions you made and I like the Sony, found a couple like that one for $40-$50 Buy It Now on ebay but shipping always kills good deals on bigger things like that.

+1 on buying used. Look around and you can find a beautiful sounding old amp (Akai, Marantz, etc.) for alot less than $500.
Dustin
Yeah I have been trying that like I said above but shipping is always killer. I might go back to my local flea market but they mark up alot of stuff for some reason.
Cambridge Azur 640A V2 would do nicely :)
Thats a tad out of my price range lol.
The Emotive UPA-2 should do the job nicely. $300, 125wpc. High quality amp over all, hard to go wrong. Really, you are highly unlikely to need more power. However, if you want more power, they make larger amps.
Aww man I totally forgot about Emotiva amps I had them bookmarked before but lost it in a PC crash. I love their amps and pretty well priced for how much they offer. I would love to get that amp but its a little out of my budget I think. I'll have to try to talk the fiance into it if I can lol.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

Oh BTW heres a pic of when I brought them up to my computer receiver to really stretch them out:

100_2734.jpg

I did look at the suggestions you made and I like the Sony, found a couple like that one for $40-$50 Buy It Now on ebay but shipping always kills good deals on bigger things like that.

Yeah I have been trying that like I said above but shipping is always killer. I might go back to my local flea market but they mark up alot of stuff for some reason.

Thats a tad out of my price range lol.

Aww man I totally forgot about Emotiva amps I had them bookmarked before but lost it in a PC crash. I love their amps and pretty well priced for how much they offer. I would love to get that amp but its a little out of my budget I think. I'll have to try to talk the fiance into it if I can lol.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

Oh BTW heres a pic of when I brought them up to my computer receiver to really stretch them out:

100_2734.jpg

Woah, they're HUGE!

Also, Whoops! I can never get used to the fact you guys are in the US lol when i see a price i think Pound Sterling not US Dollar, regardless of the currency sign used... lol derrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

What about a Yaqin VK-2100. It's a highly regarded hybrid for a decent china price.

You can also look for a Onkyo TX-8555 for a cheaper Stereo receaver.

Those are not Amplifiers per see, but Integrated Amplifiers. I assumed it was what you wanted.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Dont forget to check out your local craigslist, no shipping drive to pick it up. You never know what might show up on there, can find good deals and over priced crap.

Woah, they're HUGE!

Also, Whoops! I can never get used to the fact you guys are in the US lol when i see a price i think Pound Sterling not US Dollar, regardless of the currency sign used... lol derrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Lol I know arent they, I love them and they sound amazing for being probably about 10+ years old and only being 15 bucks.
What about a Yaqin VK-2100. It's a highly regarded hybrid for a decent china price.

You can also look for a Onkyo TX-8555 for a cheaper Stereo receaver.

Those are not Amplifiers per see, but Integrated Amplifiers. I assumed it was what you wanted.
Whoa that Yaqin is awesome looking, I would get it just for the looks lol. And no it didnt matter if it was a straight amp or a receiver since I already have a spare receiver . If I got an integrated amp I would use the receiver I have with it unless I get a whole different receiver, depends what comes first.
Dont forget to check out your local craigslist, no shipping drive to pick it up. You never know what might show up on there, can find good deals and over priced crap.
That slipped my mind yet again, I'll have to look around on there a little.

Thanks again guys.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back