Does anyone actually use 16,000+ DPI?

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I see all the time where mice are advertising they have 16,000 DPI and higher. I can't control my mouse when it is set that high, it's just way to sensitive. I use a setting of 2000, My current mouse has a max of 6400. Does anyone use a setting of 16,000 or higher? Is it useful or just a marketing gimmick?

I see all the time where mice are advertising they have 16,000 DPI and higher. I can't control my mouse when it is set that high, it's just way to sensitive. I use a setting of 2000, My current mouse has a max of 6400. Does anyone use a setting of 16,000 or higher? Is it useful or just a marketing gimmick?

Both. It's sort of a marketing gimmick but can actually be useful. You wouldn't use a DPI that high on the desktop, or any 2D movement at all, but it can be useful for aiming in an FPS.

For maximum precision you would max out the DPI on the mouse and turn the in-game sensitivity way down until you get to your desired turn speed.
If you do this you need a DPI toggle on the mouse so 2D menus or tabbling out to the desktop usable.

So if you have 16,000 DPI compared to 800 DPI and the game actually allows you to take advantage of it you would have 20 times the precision.

But the reality is a lot of games do not have sensitivity options that go low enough to make 16,000 DPI usable, and even some that do not actually track accurately at sensitivy that low.
Also does that extra precision actually matter? I notice it when I'm doing super precise long range sniping, but most of the time it doesn't really matter. To the average gamer that uses a tiny 4 inch mouse space, wrist movement, and mouse acceleration it would not matter at all.

I have a Logitech G502 X and it goes up to 25,600 DPI, but I use 800 on the desktop and 3,600 in games that can handle it. I set my games up so I need to move my mouse 20 inches to turn 360 degrees. I would use even higher DPI if games actually supported it properly, but 3600 is already ultra smooth and precise, and it's not worth adjusting at a game by game bases when so few games even support a higher DPI properly.

My current mouse has a "Sniper" button. it reduces the DPI to get more precise aiming. It is a Razer Basilisk Essential, I have that button remapped for "Press to Talk". I am currently looking at the Logitech G604 LIGHTSPEED Gaming Mouse, I want the extra buttons for one handed gaming in Diablo 4.

My Razer Basilisk V3 Pro can "theoretically" go up to 30K DPI, but the max I set is 3500. Any higher and I lose control too easily.

I usually use around 8k. Yes, for my overall desktop usage. I like being able to go from one end of my triple monitor setup to the other without moving my wrist. I never want to lift my mouse off my mousepad, I'm probably fine with only about a 3x3inch area for my mouse. (I still have a deskpad bigger than most desktops.)

16k is a bit much.

I use 12,000 DPI with my G502 Proteus Core, but I game at 4K resolution. I have found that I can aim better with high DPI, low sensitivity than vice-versa. It can be frustrating when some games don't scale sensitivity down enough and I need to turn the DPI down, though.

It's item no. 9999 on the list of things that will make one a better player.

I use 3200 on my MX 518 remaster or whatever it's called. At 2k.
Same. I use 3200 DPI 97% of the time (for both general PC usage as well as gaming), and my primary display is 1440p. I will sometimes use lower DPI settings, but anything higher is insane to me, and I haven't yet found a use for such.

This is currently how I got my mouse set up in G-Hub:
Logitech_GHub_Mouse_DPI_Settings.png

Back